MacInsiders Logo

Where are you from?

Old 07-08-2008 at 11:38 PM   #1
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Where are you from?
What is your ethnicity and/or nationality ?
What are some of the things you like to do for fun ?
Fav foods?

Anything and everything should go here, it's nice to get to know others and learn just a bit about their culture.

Chad, Kayli, kokosas, samantha__ all say thanks to Goce for this post.
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:36 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

I was born in Mississauga but my parents are from Portugal. Portuguese people like to dance and eat seafood. Most of the people in Canada you meet from Portugal are from an island known as Sao Miguel. We make the best soup ever-- caldo verde. It has green stuff and spicy portuguese sausage. It's amazing. Other foods are mostly seafood (considering we're from an island) but I hate seafood so it wouldn't count as a fave dish. When I went to Portuguese school we had to do a lot of folklore which is honestly a lot of fun!
Old 07-09-2008 at 02:16 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

I am originally from Flamborough and am of Macedonian ethnicity. My father is from the Greek occupied town of Lerin (Florina in Greek). Whilst my mother is from the sovereign republic town of Prilep. Much like the Portuguese, we have a deep passion for folklore and agriculture. There is no better water, bread, peppers, or cheese anywhere in the world than in my native Macedonia.

Here is a video that explains what we are about the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YevEHfkRO-o

Повелете/Enjoy!
Old 07-09-2008 at 04:25 PM   #4
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

I'm originally from the Central Philippines. I was born in a medium-sized resort city called Cebu City, in one of three main archipelago of the Philippines, the Visayas ( the other three is Luzon and Mindanao). Dried mangoes are a specialty in the Island and is one of the tastest in the world. Mangoes in Cebu are the best in the world. I have tried Mexican mangoes but they are no match for the sweet taste of Visayan mangoes.

One of the most coveted beaches in the world are also located in the Island of Cebu.
Old 07-09-2008 at 10:13 PM   #5
spiotrowski

Liked: 0 Times

I was born in Canada, so nothing really exciting haha, but i'm mixed with quite a bit of nationalities.
I'm Portuguese and Spanish, and Trinidadian since my mom was born in Trinidad. And I'm also Polish.

I looooooooooooooooove italian and chinese food <3 mmmm
Old 07-09-2008 at 11:05 PM   #6
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Born in Osaka, Japan (the city itself is comparable to Toronto about... 2.6ish million people, but the metro area is around 18 million or something like that). I am of Korean descent and I don't really speak either of the languages. I moved to Oakville when I was 6, then moved to Mississauga, then Hamilton (where I have spent the most time out of the 4 cities). However, I do manage to visit Japan every second year.

Japanese people eat alot of seafood, as it is an island country. However, I wouldn't consider the seafood we eat exotic or anything... we mainly stick to fish, crab, shrimp etc.... its pretty tame. People often think we eat sushi every day, but sushi is expensive, even in Japan. Anyways, some things you would probably not find in the usual western kitchen include: seaweed, tofu, and various pickled vegetables (radish, plum etc). Also marinated+barbecued eel is a delicacy, and it is actually quite amazing in my opinion (but it is also quite expensive =[). Aside from that, I would definitely say Japan is one of (if not the most) international of the asian nations and it is evident in the abundance of foreign and gourmet cuisines available. According to the BBC and the Michelin Guide, Tokyo has surpassed Paris to become the global city with the finest cuisine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7103255.stm

Anyways, that was shameless plug on Japan. lol.

Last edited by dvy88 : 07-09-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2008 at 11:26 PM   #7
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. Born at St. Michaels to be exact. I lived all over Toronto but my family now lives in Pickering while I am here in Hamilton until I finish my degree. We're a bunch of loud Irish people: I have two brothers and between my hamilton home and the family home we have four cats. I am a cat lady already.

As for foods, I like a variety. My mom always liked to try new things, but we did have those staple traditional meals. Even though Ireland is an island country, most Irish that I know aren't big seafood eaters, we tend to stick to wild game or farm animals. One of my favourite meats is salted moose meat!

As I was reading everyone elses posts I noticed that everyone had some part of their country or heritage that they were so passionate about. Mine is the land itself. To me, Ireland is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, I personally don't need white sand beaches and the like. Give me rolling green hills, a good breeze with rain in the air, dirt paths and sheep in the way all the damn time and I'm happy as a pig in shi... wait I won't go there.

Old 07-09-2008 at 11:29 PM   #8
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

I was born in Toronto @ Toronto General Hospital and I lived in Brampton until I was 6 and I have lived in Oakville (blahhh) ever since, so I consider Oakville to be my hometown. My dad's side of the family is pretty much 100% from Ghana, which is in West Africa. My mom is from there too, but her family is pretty diluted; Her family has a mixture of Ghanaian and Dutch background. Therefore, if you ever compare me, my mom and my dad's skincolour, my mom is the lightest lol.

I can't speak any of the languages of Ghana, which is a shame according to my grandma. But I can understand fluently, it's just the talking that I'm iffy with.

In terms of food.... I dunno, I find alot of the African countries have similiar food and might just have different names for them. Random Fact.. alot of the chocolate that you guys eat (Cadbury, Purdy's, whatever) was actually made from Cocoa from Ghana. LOL. YAYY. But other than that, the food is pretty good, quite spicy at times and is almost always super fatty, so I don't really eat Ghanaian food anymore cause my mom is a health freak. I'm practically a carnivore; I tried going veggie, I lost a ton of weight in a week cause I just couldn't handle it LMAO. Anything with meat, be it beef, goat, lamb, piggy, whatever, I LOVE IT.

In terms of Ghana itself, I've only been once and that was in 2005. I had a bad experience there -- constantly sick, throwing up and the like. But the food was good and I ignored the whole safety warnings thing the Ministry of Health person told us, like dont eat salads, dont drink water from the ground, that kind of stuff. Im assuming thats why I was always sick? The place is pretty chill though with beaches and such everywhere. And the weather is fab!

Buttt besides that, I love Greek, Chinese and Indian food!

Last edited by samantha__ : 07-09-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-10-2008 at 08:24 AM   #9
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha__ View Post
Anything with meat, be it beef, goat, lamb, piggy, whatever, I LOVE IT.
bahahaha. Me too!

Old 07-10-2008 at 09:00 AM   #10
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I was born and raised in Mississauga like a few of you also. My parents are from Sri Lanka (we are Tamil.) and we eat South Indian food which is very spicey. I like curries but I do not really care for meat ones. Egg plant and lentil curries are pretty good. I've been to Sri Lanka once when I was 9 which is about 10 years ago, the civil war was going on so there was a strong military presence. But, I dunno, besides that, I still liked it there My relatives lived in the country and are farmers so that was a nice change. Anyways... I also like Thai food.

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-10-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2008
sinthusized
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-10-2008 at 07:31 PM   #11
Goce
Elite Member

Im really enjoying this thread, it has been really fun learning a bit more about each of you.

To Samantha, Cadbury has amazing chocolate, but I no longer eat anything that is considered "bad" or "junk food." I have not had fast-food in 3 years, excluding Jimmy the Greek and the like.

Kokosas, Ireland does seem very beautiful. I wish to go there some day.

Dvy88, shrimp is amazing. The only other type of seafood that I like exlcuding Salmon (which is legendary), Haddock, Trout (Rainbow), and of course the world famous Ohrid Trout or Ohridska Pastrmka....again, Macedonian cuisine is top notch. However, just like sushi, it is not for the poor.
Old 07-10-2008 at 08:23 PM   #12
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Ahh Jimmy the Greek is SO GOOD I'm going to Europe in August so hopefully I'll go to Irelandddd and Macedoniaaaaaaa and Englandddd and everywhere else
Old 07-10-2008 at 09:14 PM   #13
davey
Elite Member

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Dvy88, shrimp is amazing. The only other type of seafood that I like exlcuding Salmon (which is legendary), Haddock, Trout (Rainbow), and of course the world famous Ohrid Trout or Ohridska Pastrmka....again, Macedonian cuisine is top notch. However, just like sushi, it is not for the poor.
ahaha. ironically i am not actually a fan of seafood... except for shrimp that is!! however, those huge shrimp with their heads still attached... they freak me out!!! especially their tiny little legs! hmmm. its probably because they look like bugs, and bugs freak me out. :p
Old 07-10-2008 at 09:39 PM   #14
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

I was born and raised in Hong Kong, then went to Toronto as a visa student last year. Actually I am now physically in Hong Kong for vacation, and then return to Hamilton on September for my 1st year.