MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gears of War 3 thatdudeukno Gaming 5 09-13-2012 09:23 PM
McMaster Console LANs (Gears 3) zorattiMatt Gaming 12 08-26-2011 09:45 PM
Who's excited for Gears of War 3? Rika88 Gaming 10 08-23-2011 03:02 PM
gears of war 2 YoWhat Gaming 8 08-02-2010 09:21 PM

You know what really grinds my gears?

Members have rated post #385894 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 09-12-2013 at 03:08 PM   #1
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

It's time for a "you know what really grinds my gears" moment.

Are any of you as bothered as I am by all the people who constantly send class-wide messages on Avenue To Learn? Every now and then is fine, but I have three courses this term with group projects and I have been getting countless Avenue emails each day from classmates who send mass emails to everyone in the classes asking if they have a group yet. Don't you think they should have a little red box on the "Compose a Message" page that say's something along the lines of "Hey, please don't send class-wide messages, try emailing your prof instead". Lol, sounds silly but almost everything I receive in those emails could be answered by another student or a prof. The profs for my classes this term even have said "If you don't have a group, come talk to me".

Anyways, that's my rant. Not sure how much it bugs other people.
Old 09-12-2013 at 03:12 PM   #2
VitaSoy

Liked: 9 Times

What's worse is when people email multiple classlists for things like that. I always thought that there were repercussions for doing stuff like that...
Old 09-12-2013 at 05:31 PM   #3
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-6Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by AvacadoLover.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 09-12-2013 at 05:42 PM   #4
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvacadoLover View Post

People screaming "Thank you" whenever they get off the bus, even when they left the back exit of the two carriage bus.

The bus driver job is to STOP at your requested stop. Don't make it sounds like the driver is doing us such a huge favor by stopping there. Only in trashy Hamilton have I seen this phenomenon occurring. If you really want to express your gratitude to overpaid and underworked bus drivers, then do it when you step on not when you are leaving.
People do not say thank you for the bus driver for stopping, people say thank you out of the kindness of there heart to bus drivers who, despite what you have said, actually do have to put up with a lot of shit in their jobs. They are in traffic all day dealing with horrible drivers, they put up with rude passengers, and their job is often quite dull and not enjoyable from what I've seen. Saying thank you is a way of telling them that you appreciate them working the job they do and putting up with everything so that you are able to take the bus every day. Some thing goes when I am flying, I always thank the pilot if I see him when I get up to the front.

Anyways, this is not on topic. Just had to address that.

Tina_Belcher says thanks to Commie42 for this post.

Old 09-12-2013 at 06:00 PM   #5
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-8Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by AvacadoLover.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 09-12-2013 at 06:21 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
How many times have you seen the same kindness extended to the cleaners around McMaster?
Are you saying that people typically do or do not say thank you to the cleaners at Mac?
Old 09-12-2013 at 06:49 PM   #7
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

@AvacadoLover

I know, right? So annoying when people thank other people to express gratitude. What's next, people will smile and say "Hi" to people they barely know? What is the world coming to!!!!

I wonder if it worked out differently if people leaving the buss were thanking you as well, just for blessing the buss ride with your presence.

Quote:
How many times have you seen the same kindness extended to the cleaners around McMaster?

The situations you listed is just part of the job. They get compensated well for it too! Their starting salary is $24 per hour and they are only require Grade 10 education. Job security is extremely high especially due to the fact that they are unionize.

Either way, if you want to express your gratitude, do it when you board! Don't be an asshole and scream it in people ears when you leave.

While speaking of HSR, anyone else notices that buses that are late tend to be female driven? I really wished HSR would release statistic relating to this - I know they have it in their database. If the data match up with my observation, then I really wish they would schedule female drivers out of rush hours and let the male take over.
Hmmm, totally different thread, yet again, all Avacadolover says is:

"duuuuh, u r wroang, and Im right. Yay for meh, geave meh atension."

Quote:
BTW Lizzie, you are a white girl right? Do you also engage in the behaviour I described? Most of the time its the white girls that like to scream "thank you" when they get off.
Oooo, I like where this is going.

clarksl4, Commie42 all say thanks to MrPlinkett for this post.

Afzal, Commie42, marysmowton like this.
Old 09-12-2013 at 07:12 PM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

Quote:

While speaking of HSR, anyone else notices that buses that are late tend to be female driven? I really wished HSR would release statistic relating to this - I know they have it in their database. If the data match up with my observation, then I really wish they would schedule female drivers out of rush hours and let the male take over.
1) I'm certain that your personal observation of "women drivers being late and men drivers not" is not representative of the way it actually is.

2) They would not "schedule out" women bus drivers (even if they wanted to), as it against the federal Employment Equity Act.

3) Most importantly, this is off-topic from the thread subject.
Old 09-12-2013 at 09:06 PM   #9
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Looks at posts.
Looks at signature.

Troll.
Old 09-12-2013 at 09:33 PM   #10
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

Isn't trolling against this message board's policies? Judging by the nature of almost all of his posts, it's fairly clear what he's doing. Just please stop feeding him in every topic, until a mod finally shuts his account down (at least that seems like the sensible thing to do in my opinion).

On topic though: What really grinds my gears lately is all the construction going on near Mills library area, makes it more inconvenient to walk around (I feel especially bad for First Years who are a lot less familiar with the different routes around campus). I'm sure the construction is for some semi-useful reasons at least, but still really bothersome when going from class to class in the area.

MimeMime likes this.
Old 09-12-2013 at 10:03 PM   #11
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyWarrior View Post
On topic though: What really grinds my gears lately is all the construction going on near Mills library area, makes it more inconvenient to walk around (I feel especially bad for First Years who are a lot less familiar with the different routes around campus). I'm sure the construction is for some semi-useful reasons at least, but still really bothersome when going from class to class in the area.
i have to agree with you in this one. There are times where I want to go to my usual route but can't because of all the construction going on. They had all summer to do that, they could have just done it then...

In terms of mass email done in avenue, it does tick me off when I get many of those but I just tend to ignore them. For example my GIS class last year required me to have a group for the project. Those mass email actually help me get a group...

What grinds my gears lately is actually how slow I'm getting my funding from OSAP. For the past three years I'm at McMaster, my OSAP funding came in a lot faster and I was able to pay my tuition on time. I can understand that way more students uses OSAP to pay their tuition but it is actually taking so long for the Financial Aid people to confirm my enrollment. I guess this is just me being impatient...

Last edited by akikokoyoki : 09-12-2013 at 10:08 PM.

MimeMime likes this.
Old 09-12-2013 at 10:27 PM   #12
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

I wonder how drab one's life must be in order for them to say, "You know what? I'm gonna get on the internet and try to raise a ruckus for the heck of it. They must think I'm such a bad ass. (Plus I get off so hard on seeing strangers quarrel.)"

I mean, my life sucks ass--you can't get more boring than me--but I still fail to see whatever minute pleasure there is in such activities. Maybe it takes a certain type of avocado.