MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CA experience Afsha-noon Residence & Housing 15 08-13-2013 10:56 PM
Explore Your Campus! (New campus tours just opened) Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-22-2013 03:52 PM
New Hamilton App Will Help Students Better Explore Hamilton's Hidden Gems Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-27-2012 06:51 AM
The Explore Program Goce Academics 21 12-31-2009 04:11 PM
CA experience sycoman Residence & Housing 12 06-02-2009 09:16 PM

Your J'EXPLORE Experience?

Old 03-03-2014 at 11:11 PM   #1
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Your J'EXPLORE Experience?
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done the J'Explore program? And if you could generously share your experiences during the program? I did a similar exchange program for teens near Quebec City for 6 weeks and really enjoyed it! I would love to immerse myself in another French learning program.

If anyone has ever done one, I would love to hear your insight and experiences at your campus/ host family, where you went, what kind of places you explored, what the food was like, and perhaps 2 big lessons you went away with from that experience.

I was thinking of going to UBC, Université Sainte-Anne, or U of Montréal. (I have been to Quebec a couple of time and even though this is arguably by far the best place to really learn French, and about their culture, I would really like to explore Vancouver or Nova Scotia as well and learn about the French communities there).

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-04-2014 at 08:11 PM   #2
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Hey,

I went to Ste. Anne's and I loved it! I met some of my best friends there.

They had a lot of activities to keep you busy and clubs that you had to participate in after classes. They had several weekend trips like whale-watching and to museums.

The residences were okay- they place you according to age which is good. The food was great. The only downside is Church-Point, NS is a very small town like there is no where to explore. But other than that, I'd highly recommend it. It was a great experience.

Bigmacfatpack says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.

Bigmacfatpack likes this.
Old 03-04-2014 at 09:19 PM   #3
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

I was at U de M. Best experience of my life up until that point. The after class activities brought you to every cool place in Montreal that exists, and being in Montreal is just amazing. I later lived there for a year mostly because of all the great things I did that summer.

The res was your average res. No AC, but you'll live. Certain floors had major drug, alcohol and noise issues, but that totally depends on the people. You take care of your own food, and there is no shortage of great options near campus and around the city that they'll tell you about on the first day.

I did pretty much all there is to do in Montreal. Some highlights are Shakespeare in the park productions, the fireworks competition, Osheaga, white water rafting, brewery tour, some amazing restaurants and bars, and it goes on and on...

As for learning French, I wish had committed to learning more. Almost everyone is bilingual and will speak to you in English as soon as they hear your Ontarian accent, unless you insist on speaking to them French. This may have changed slightly with the current political climate in Quebec.

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Bigmacfatpack says thanks to Ems467 for this post.

Bigmacfatpack likes this.
Old 03-05-2014 at 07:16 AM   #4
remo12

Liked: 0 Times

I went to Jonquiere. It was an amazing experience, very different.

The residence was okay, not the greatest but they were decent. I heard that they fixed it and they're much better now. The food was not the best. Having said that, the activities were super fun and we also had weekend excursions where we did things like rafting, mini golfing, hiking, whale watching, etc.

Jonquiere was great because it's a very small city in Quebec where you will not find a single person who knows English (well I didn't). I loved that because it forced you to speak French no matter what. I learned so much French there that by the time I came back I would speak French without even realizing. You're exposed to so much French that communication becomes a lot easier. If you're looking for a place to fully immerse yourself in a French community and become more fluent, Jonquiere is the place

Bigmacfatpack says thanks to remo12 for this post.
Old 03-05-2014 at 02:39 PM   #5
Vessi
Tiny

Liked: 44 Times

How is the experience if you only know very basic French?
Old 03-05-2014 at 05:18 PM   #6
Ems467

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessi View Post
How is the experience if you only know very basic French?
As with everything in life, the experience is what you make of it. You really don't need to know the local language of any town or city in order to appreciate all it has to offer. The classes are catered to your personal skill level, and if your ultimate goal is to improve French, Montreal is not the best place to do it.