MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Homepage Changes Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-13-2006 04:24 PM

YouTube's new homepage...

What do you guys think of YouTube’s new homepage ?

http://www.youtube.com/

katrinabell says thanks to jim1 for this post.
Published by
Elite Member

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-01-2011 at 06:28 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
bloated

. . . ... .. . .

waldo92 likes this.

Old 12-01-2011 at 06:36 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
so unorganized... and i only have 20 subscriptions.. imagine 100+

Old 12-01-2011 at 06:45 PM   #4
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times
The idea behind the design is nice, but as others have said it's very bloated and does not really effectively use the space of the page, I think that what they did with the Channels page is brilliant and if they used that same design on the homepage it would be much more cohesive.

Just saiyan(SUPER)

Old 12-01-2011 at 06:48 PM   #5
Pay919

Liked: 57 Times
I was one of the unlucky beta testers for this design. I hate it. I'm no longer using the homepage to view my subscriptions. Instead I use http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?feat ure=mhee

Last edited by Pay919 : 12-01-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Old 12-01-2011 at 07:09 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times
^browsed around and found that guess it's the closest we can get to the old

Old 12-01-2011 at 07:23 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pay919 View Post
I was one of the unlucky beta testers for this design. I hate it. I'm no longer using the homepage to view my subscriptions. Instead I use http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?feat ure=mhee
I do the same, I actually haven't used the youtube homepage for several months now... it's not very reliable....

Old 12-01-2011 at 07:32 PM   #8
The Guardian

Liked: 3 Times
Why on earth do they keep changing the setup? Everything was cool beforehand...and what demographic is Youtube trying to respond to with this new setup?

Old 12-01-2011 at 07:38 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
i think something vital is missing from this: who actually uses the homepage of youtube?

Old 12-01-2011 at 09:51 PM   #10
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times
I totally knew there was going to be a thread about this...lol...

Also, is it just me, or did they steal their design from Google+? o_O;

Old 12-01-2011 at 09:57 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelaisAer View Post

Steal? It's the same company...

Afzal, L'Étoile like this.

Old 12-01-2011 at 09:59 PM   #12
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times
Quote:

Google owns Youtube, so its technically not stealing.

Personally, I don't like the new homepage. Like others have said, its bloated and too busy, and now you have to do more scrolling to see the featured videos.

Old 12-01-2011 at 09:59 PM   #13
AdelaisAer
Legendary Survivor

Liked: 118 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Steal? It's the same company...
Well, I know that, but it's like, they are recycling their own layouts and reusing them for multiple websites. -shrugs- Seems a bit lazy to me.

EDIT: To add on that, that's part of the reason it just doesn't work well. YouTube had a nice clean design. Using Google+'s design and trying to make it look the same just doesn't work for YouTube.

Old 12-01-2011 at 10:47 PM   #14
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times
Quote:
Well, I know that, but it's like, they are recycling their own layouts and reusing them for multiple websites. -shrugs- Seems a bit lazy to me.
It's called cohesiveness. It's something that should be valued in design. Can you imagine how awful it'd be if every one of Google's product had a different UI standard?

Anyways, in terms of the new homepage layout, I don't really fancy it, but that's mostly because it seems like a big change. This is going to be the reason why 99% of people complain during the first week or two—it's new, and we're unacquainted with what's what and where's what. From what I see, it's oriented towards finding stuff you like and not just showing the top videos on YouTube at the moment, which I think is great. You can always view the popular videos by category by clicking Browse, something I always found redundant before (the homepage and the Browse page displayed the same thing).

In terms of UI changes, I absolutely love it. It's a lot cleaner and more distraction-free. One thing I noticed which I really like is the absence of the custom "Subscribe" button. On some channels, that used to be a major distraction and an eye sore. Each video page now has a uniform, standard layout. The lack of colours on the page except for the Like/Dislike bar and the minor glyph and font changes are also very welcomed.

All in all, I like it a lot.

Afzal likes this.

Old 12-01-2011 at 10:58 PM   #15
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times
Quote:

EDIT: To add on that, that's part of the reason it just doesn't work well. YouTube had a nice clean design. Using Google+'s design and trying to make it look the same just doesn't work for YouTube.
If you look at everything google owns (docs, gmail, google+,...) they are updating everything to a modern look. I admit it looks a lot prettier, but now organized more poorly. there was also something on google+ circulating that was popular was where your eyes look first at different sites (including facebook, youtube, myspace and so on) and they probably tried to "optimize" their site based on that.

If you dont like the homepage, at the bottom right there is a feedback button. I highlighted what i didnt like and sent feedback. I used to think no one cared, but after skype added the new pop-up that allows you to connect with facebook friends, i complained you should disable it and a week later it stopped showing up, although getting the update changed that.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search