MacInsiders Logo
Old 10-26-2013 at 02:22 PM   #1
mohdnours

Liked: 0 Times

martial arts and combat sports
Is there any there later to judo at Mac? Or any sword fighting, combat sports, archery, hunting, etc?
But especially judo...
Old 10-26-2013 at 04:08 PM   #2
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

We have a varsity fencing team. There are beginner classes every fall, spring, and summer, run by the head coach with the assistance of other coaching staff and varsity members, for those who have little to no prior fencing experience. That's how I started fencing back in first year. I've been fencing just over 2 years now, and I absolutely love it. PM me if you want more information.
Old 10-27-2013 at 07:24 AM   #3
mohdnours

Liked: 0 Times

That seems great thanks
I think I would enjoy fencing...
So are there any additional fees for equipment or something?

And what program and level are you in? Just so that maybe next year when I join you could help me out.
Old 10-28-2013 at 06:42 AM   #4
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

There is a fee to take the class (about $100 or something like that). Equipment is covered in that fee, so you don't need to buy anything of your own. If you end up going to the RMC Invitational tournament, which occurs during the beginner's class (next weekend, actually; we take a LOT of beginners), you'll need to buy a glove, but that's it. Most people start getting some of their own equipment eventually.

I'm in third year chem. I'm usually out to help with the beginner class (Monday nights, 8-10pm). We split the class up and do a rotation between footwork, bladework, theory, and games. There will be lots of varsity members at each station to help out! Head Coach Dave runs the bladework portion and the senior assistant coach teaches theory.
Old 10-28-2013 at 11:26 AM   #5
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

mcmaster has a bjj club running on sunday, monday, and wednesday