MacInsiders Logo
Old 09-03-2014 at 04:43 PM   #1
MovingTarget

Liked: 6 Times

Off Campus Gyms
Hey guys,

So I'm a student looking to get a gym membership this year. I was just wondering, what are my options besides getting a membership at the Pulse?

I've heard there is a gym nearby called 'Phoenix World Gym' or something. I don't mind paying a bit extra per month vs the Pulse if it means less crowds. All I really need are weights and a bench.

So, What are some good off-campus gyms?

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2014 at 04:51 PM   #2
Puddle77

Liked: 1 Time

It sucks! Avoid it at all costs bro.
Old 09-03-2014 at 05:55 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There's a GoodLife a short bus ride away near Bay and Main.
It's not just "a bit extra" per month though. The Pulse membership for 8 months works out to about $17/month. Going to a gym such as GoodLife can be double that.

MovingTarget says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 09-03-2014 at 10:59 PM   #4
MovingTarget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle77 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. What's exactly wrong with it?
Old 09-03-2014 at 10:59 PM   #5
Zachary

Liked: 77 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle77 View Post
Care to elaborate?

I was thinking of signing up there. What's the catch?

Edit: Aaaand ... there goes the simul-post.

Last edited by Zachary : 09-03-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Jinx with Moving.
Old 09-04-2014 at 08:54 AM   #6
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

World Gym is awesome. I don't know why the other guy didn't like it. It open 24 freaking hours during weekdays. And unlike Pulse, there is no shorten examination time schedule or summer schedule - it is always reliable when it comes to their hours.

It is a few dollars more, it work out to be around $20 per month if you put down $99 enrollment fee. So like $3-$5 more than Pulse. It is geared more toward working folks so you want to avoid the evening when everyone finished work. Other than that man, its is much bigger and has a lot more equipments than Pulse.

Go in and do a tour then judge for yourself.

http://www.worldgym.com/index.php?pa...in&view=images

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. It suppose to be like Fight Club thing where you don't talk about it. Whatever, I work out at around midnight when the library closes so even there are new members, it doesn't bother me.
Old 09-04-2014 at 09:01 AM   #7
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

I agree with the above poster as well. It is a solid gym overall, it has 2 squat racks and 2 cages, 3 benches, dumbbells up to 100 lbs., and plenty of machines. Although there is no hammer strength machines, like at the Pulse.
Old 09-04-2014 at 09:37 AM   #8
afireinside

Liked: 3 Times

I find the McMaster Innovation Park gym reasonably priced and not overcrowded.

http://mcmasterinnovationpar k.ca/fitness-facility
Old 09-04-2014 at 09:13 PM   #9
MovingTarget

Ok, thanks for all the input. So what are everyone's thought son World Gym vs. Innovation Park?