MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daily game Dec 21 : Moonster Safe Chad Daily Game 0 12-21-2011 04:05 AM
tap water off campus safe to drink? Mr.Prodigy Body & Food 6 05-04-2011 12:33 PM
the wellington megg.noelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 11-23-2010 11:37 AM
Is PayPal safe? Allan General Discussion 31 10-19-2010 11:55 AM
Wellington Street South - Safe? Lifejacket Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 07-30-2010 12:47 AM

125 Wellington St. North safe?

Old 06-11-2012 at 11:33 PM   #1
holiday1001

Liked: 1 Time

125 Wellington St. North safe?
New to mac and new to hamilton- anyone have any opinions on this building/ this neighbourhood? Is it close enough to Barton for me to be getting concerned?
Old 06-11-2012 at 11:50 PM   #2
stevenmm

Liked: 17 Times

I recommend that you look elsewhere, it is not a good area to live in. I lived in the building before, it is a dump, the elevators are a nightmare. Also some crimes have happen in the buildings (125 Wellington Street North and 50 Cathcart both attached to each other) because of drug activity.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/ar...ted-to-recover

http://www.thespec.com/news/article/...r-oct-14-to-20

Last edited by stevenmm : 06-11-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-11-2012 at 11:56 PM   #3
holiday1001

thanks for the reply- I sent you a PM!
Old 06-12-2012 at 01:59 AM   #4
AztekEscobar

Liked: 2 Times

I grew up in Hamilton and it isn't that bad. The people getting shot are usually involved in drugs. If you mind you business and at least use some street smarts nothing will happen. My buddy lived in this building for a couple years, its mostly newly arrived immigrants and sometimes gets a bad name for a couple of little punks. Honestly that is one of the better buildings located downtown. I would avoid john street though lots of drugs in buildings there. If you want to safest areas look at areas near herkimer, Locke, queen and Aberdeen which are some of the safest areas in hamilton
Old 06-12-2012 at 07:10 AM   #5
holiday1001

the building itself is under new management, been renovated, etc. there are pictures here [www.one25.ca/photos/one-bedroom-suites.html and the unit I saw was almost exactly like this
i'm just concerned about the neighbourhood. thanks for the replies though!
Old 06-12-2012 at 08:20 AM   #6
stevenmm

Here are some reviews about the building

http://bedbugregistry.com/location/O...ton%20St %20N

http://bedbugregistry.com/location/O...0Cathcart%20St

Eternal Fire, Marooner like this.
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:11 AM   #7
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztekEscobar View Post
I grew up in Hamilton and it isn't that bad. The people getting shot are usually involved in drugs. If you mind you business and at least use some street smarts nothing will happen. My buddy lived in this building for a couple years, its mostly newly arrived immigrants and sometimes gets a bad name for a couple of little punks. Honestly that is one of the better buildings located downtown. I would avoid john street though lots of drugs in buildings there. If you want to safest areas look at areas near herkimer, Locke, queen and Aberdeen which are some of the safest areas in hamilton
lol what the hell, if this is one of the better buildings, I can only imagine how much the other ones suck.

stevenmm likes this.
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:15 AM   #8
holiday1001

the rooms, and for the price, are among the best. it's actually in the middle of a conversion to a condo so they've been renovating every unit (check that link I posted, there are extensive pictures). Beasley/Landsdale, in between which this building is located, are the two poorest neighbourhoods in Hamilton though, while beasley is the 15th poorest in the country.
Old 06-12-2012 at 10:34 AM   #9
stevenmm

They have been converting it into condo for a long time. Just because they are converting it into condo's does not make it a good place. it has been under many different owners who have started the renovations and have given up and sold it.

The building has had a bad reputation in the area for years, and renovating it is not going to help that reputation. It also has a high turn rate because of the problems.