MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Any thoughts about electives? keiser=) Academics 28 06-04-2012 07:12 PM
Your thoughts on... Goce General Discussion 5 04-22-2009 08:04 PM
Tell us your thoughts on Welcome Day! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 17 08-11-2008 08:33 AM

15 Little Thoughts for a First Year

15 Little Thoughts for a First Year

By MELISSA SHARMA, INSIDER AGENT

We’re merely one week away from move-in and for first years, our hearts are racing! Since clicking that button on OUAC, university life has finally arrived. However, in all the excitement, we tend to forget some things that would make our lives much easier these next couple of weeks. Here are some Little Thoughts for a First Year

1. Know your correct move-in dates and times. To learn them, check out this interactive map. If your computer has trouble with it, click here for the MacInsiders text version.

2. Have everything labelled with your full name, residence and room before you come to McMaster. This includes suitcases, duffel bags, backpacks and boxes. The simplest way is to use masking tape and stick it on your items. Another suggestion is to decorate your boxes. Should one of your boxes become separated from the others, you will be able to spot it easily amongst everyone else’s.

3. If you are packing something fragile or that requires special care, label the box. (ie. This Side Up, Fragile!, etc.)

4. Just like Santa Claus, make a list and check it twice! Make sure you have everything you could possibly need! Feel free to make a list of things you need to pack the morning of move-in, such as your toothbrush! Check out our MacInsiders list of what to bring to residence here.

5. Expect to get sick. You’re immune system might have been mighty at home, but in residence especially, with many people living in tight quarters, it becomes much easier to become sick. Pack your usual medicines! It also helps to stay fit and eat healthy!

6. [font=Verdana]Make a trip to the Bank! Some students choose to get a credit card and/or extend the spending limit on their debit cards. Also, some cash is good to have in case of emergencies.

7. If you’re reading this and have not started packing, START PACKING. Yes! YOU! Sitting at the computer desk! At the very least, start setting aside some things you know you won’t be using! Need a kick start? Check out MacInsider’s Residence Survival Series

8. While the upper year students help unload your stuff, go get your keys! It is strongly recommended that the driver park the car and not wait for you to return, but instead, meet you in your room. This speeds up the move-in process. Whoever is driving will eventually find you again! Don’t hesitate to leave them for a few minutes!

9. If you are uncomfortable leaving your possessions with the upper year help, bring a sibling/parent/someone you trust with you to QUIETLY keep an eye on your things. This will not offend the upper year students! Hopefully! They understand that many of your prized possessions may be in your luggage! It is recommended to carry expensive items such as your laptop with you while getting your keys or to leave it with a parent.

10. Upper year students are REALLY loud. But don’t be afraid! They’re nice people too!

11. In order to get your keys, you must have: a passport sized photo of yourself and a piece of government issued ID. This includes your passport, driver’s licence, health card, citizenship card and birth certificate. If you do not have any form of government issued ID, you must contact the Undergraduate Office as soon as possible.

12. In the first couple of days of classes, you have a tutorial or lab that precedes a first class, you do not go to that tutorial. Upon going to the first class, you will be told when tutorials and labs will begin. Remember, C=Core/Class, L=Lab and T=Tutorial.

13. Map out your route to classes before you go to them! Being in a new place means learning the new surroundings! Grab a friend, walk the campus and meet some more while you’re doing it! Learn how to get from building to building! You don’t want to have to worry about it when you have an 8:30 class but woke up at 8:15!

14. Despite what everyone says, do not feel pressured to attend ALL welcome week events. Choose the ones you feel you’re comfortable with and make it a priority to go to them. Along the way, you may meet people that encourage you to attend other events out of your comfort zone. However, at the same time, be open to new, safe experiences.

15. Last, but certainly the most important thing to do this week is to spend time with your family! Especially, if you’re moving into residence, this next week is an amazing opportunity to go out with your family and spend some time together. Once school starts, some of your siblings may be busy with school and your parents will be busy accommodating for the Christmas rush! If you’re living on residence, this may be the last time you’ll see them until Thanksgiving; maybe even Christmas!

Did you like this article?
Also check out our First Year Survival Guide

Maegs says thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:33 AM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
18. Take care of yourself. Moving from place to place, be it across continents or down the street can be stressful and can throw off our internal clocks, causing us to eat more or eat less. This is one of several reasons why a move is an excellent and important time to take care of your body. You may find that the water in your dorm shower is harsher than the one at home and you lose more hair, or that the spices in cooking don't sit well with your stomach. While you will adjust with time, do not just ignore these things. Regarding your diet, have lots of fibre and water and yogurt. In terms of showers, see if you can get a water filter to attach to the shower head to soften the water a bit.

As well, water can unsettle the stomach. A removable Brita water filter will help you.

19. Make it like home.
Bring pictures of your loved ones and your friends and tack them up. Bring that favourite blanket or overworn glow in the dark Elmo nightshirt. Don't clutter your room but if there are essentials you need (such as a pair of slippers) bringing your own will help make you more comfortable in your new environment and ease you into the transition.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-31-2009 at 09:47 AM   #3
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 8 Times
20. The most important thing!!!, the liqour and beer store are CLOSED on labour day! Remember this as almost everyone always forgets, you need to stock up so you have enough booze to make it through labour day. This is the most common mistake people make during frosh week, don't be a fool, plan ahead.

BlakeM, JEFF_CHAN, xxsumz like this.
Old 08-31-2009 at 11:50 AM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences
Year: Masters
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 453 Times
in reference to point 3/9

WW Reps/CAs are not supposed to be carrying anything fragile or expensive for you. They're there to take up you heavy bags/fridges while students are supposed to be responsible for laptops/printers/rare china/etc that they bring and do not want damaged.

and I would encourage people to go to events even if they don't sound that interesting, I decided not to be a part of air bands during first year because I thought it sounded stupid and I regretted it later (mainly because I wanted to make the music mix for our building). A lot of the WW events are a lot more fun than they sound, encouraging people to skip them is a bit counter-productive.

Old 08-31-2009 at 11:51 AM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Whoa, people bring rare china? XD
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:04 PM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth

Liked: 454 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
What? You mean you've never brought fine china to your res?

*Monocle flies out as I gasp in shock*

Ownaginatios likes this.
Old 08-31-2009 at 12:08 PM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member
Program: Commerce

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Whenever I go to Commons, I make sure to bring my circa-1800s porcelain plates with me to eat on.
Old 08-31-2009 at 03:20 PM   #8
MacEng
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Year: Fifth
Residence: nuts swinging, swinging my nuts

Liked: 125 Times
I remember my move in day, right before I moved in, I witnessed reps drop a laser printer and it break into pieces! (It wasn't in any boxes)

Make sure to pack fragile stuff with bubble wrap, Styrofoam, air sacs, or even blankets...
Old 08-31-2009 at 03:48 PM   #9
niteskie
Elite Member
Program: Psycholinguistics
Year: Other

Liked: 45 Times
What happened? Did they pay for it?
Old 08-31-2009 at 04:27 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Ah! That's horrible:(, but then again they've probably been carrying and up and down stairs all day =/
Old 08-31-2009 at 05:12 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
I remember my move in day, right before I moved in, I witnessed reps drop a laser printer and it break into pieces! (It wasn't in any boxes)
Youtube video pl0x.
Old 08-31-2009 at 05:48 PM   #12
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Whenever I go to Commons, I make sure to bring my circa-1800s porcelain plates with me to eat on.
I'll stick to paper plates.
Old 08-31-2009 at 06:49 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I'll stick to paper plates.
I brought rubbermaid plates ^-^
Old 08-31-2009 at 09:22 PM   #14
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Or just normal plates, excluding the whole "rare china" thing XD
Old 09-02-2009 at 02:32 AM   #15
crucif3x
Program: Life Science
Year: First
Residence: Moulton Hall

Liked: 21 Times
This article is hyping me up for Welcome Week... as if I wasn't hyped enough... and yes, I am sitting in front my computer with nothing packed, but it's 3am and I don't feel like it xD maybe tomorrow!

Ouch on the printer thing, I guess postponing the printer purchase for later was a good idea!
- Moulton Hall

Article Tools