MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Thoughts on Vishal LeannaT General Discussion 127 02-08-2010 08:31 PM
15 Little Thoughts for a First Year Chad First Year Success 17 09-02-2009 03:28 PM
Unions: Your thoughts Taunton General Discussion 122 07-27-2009 11:02 PM
Your thoughts on... Goce General Discussion 5 04-22-2009 08:04 PM

Tell us your thoughts on Welcome Day!

Tell us your thoughts on Welcome Day!

For all of you who attended todays orientation day (Welcome Day) we'd love to hear how your day went, what you liked best and what we (as a school and institution) could improve on!

Welcome Day (and others like it) are for you, the first years, so please tell us what you found most helpful and what could use some work so that in future years we can improve the day for future students!
Published by
MacInsiders Staff

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 08-08-2008 at 03:39 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
I really liked the information fair, I didn't even know I had so many questions. I just thought of questions right then and there. It was also nice talking to the upper year students about their experiences and how the program is like.

The residence tour was the main reason I went to Mac for welcome week. I enjoyed looking at my new home for the upcoming year. I'm so excited!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 08-08-2008 at 04:04 PM   #3
Kareko
Program: Biology
Year: Fifth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 8 Times
So I went to the info fair, study note lecture, rez tour, 1st gen info and finance bits.

info fair- it reminded me of a job fair honestly, and we didn't need to ask many questions but it was fun to chat with Macinsiders and the maroons (spirit group). also the transit maps are really useful

study notes- prof was very engaging and thought I've heard of the study note type he mentioned durring the summer day it was still interesting. plus who doesn't like learning some Freud lol

rez- most interesting overall. I was very worried about size and such and now it is much better, the guides were helpful and inspired enthusiasm for the upcomming year. seeing the area and room style and such was great

1st Gen- wasn't too interesting but that was because I knew most of it already but thats ok, a note: people should not leave part way through, that is RUDE to the speaker and reflects badly on only yourself really..
I'm very much looking into those
writing and time management classes cause they sound good to have.

lastly the finance- 1st of all they needed a bigger room, cause not everyone fit and with the door constantly opening and closing making it hard to hear, 2nd it was rather general and not very informative for me. (because if you read the websites it tell you everything pretty much). all I learned about was about more bursaries---which you can't even apply for till half way through September anyway... so this was a waste of time for me anyway.
good if you don't keep up with that stuff and for the parents though.

some notes though- I wish that the bus tours went til 3 or 4 instead of ending at 2 like everything else, we tried to look around afterword but all the one way streets made that Very difficult to do without local knowlege.

(I assume I'll get to know Hamilton fairly well but it's nice to know some stuff first)

the event itself was very organized and it was good overall, and questions were handled well and had a nice atmosphere
good job to the organizers and volunteers n_n I enjoyed it
Old 08-08-2008 at 08:03 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
AWW! I was one of the ppl at the macinsiders table! kareko you're my favourite! lol

Old 08-08-2008 at 08:05 PM   #5
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 121 Times
I liked it. I honestly didn't think there was too much to do, only really came to check out the food, the gym and try to get used to my surroundings. Not many of the other things appealed. But i got what i went there for, plus an awesome slinky to boot.

(may even have recognized me, was the only person i saw wearing it as a bracelet )
Old 08-08-2008 at 08:09 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

maaan! couldn't find the slinkies!!!!!! I snatched a bunch of buttons and far more candy than I should have had hahaa WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEE
Old 08-08-2008 at 09:40 PM   #7
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)
Program: Business
Residence: Brandon Hall

Liked: 91 Times
I found Welcome day really great and very informative. Haha, I especially liked the spinning wheel by the Macpass tent because I won free prizes off that. But yeah, overall it was really interesting and I liked how there were people to help wherever you went and they were very nice as well. Only part that sucks is that I did not find the Mac Insiders table. :(
Old 08-08-2008 at 10:49 PM   #8
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Don't worry! You'll definitely see it at clubsfest!!! It'll stand out more!
Old 08-08-2008 at 10:49 PM   #9
aya017
Program: Nursing
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 22 Times
hahah nino! i won prizes too. i LOVED the wheel of fortune thing
i got the shirt yayyy lol

ummm i liked the info fair
too bad my friend and i weren't able to check out the maroons and macinsiders..
i think mostly we were looking around for free stuff LOL

i was kinda annoyed how people left during the first gen session.
like cmooooon u dont leave! people prepared that session! you came to the session, you might as well suck it up.
BUT lol. thats just what i think.

and yeah. the area where the finances was held was too small. my friend and i came late so we were being fire hazards LOL
i just think it was full because there was only one session.

but overall, we had fun
Old 08-09-2008 at 07:32 AM   #10
belladina
Program: English and Peace Studies Combined Honours
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 0 Times
Welcome Day was awesome! I met some amazing new people, and gained a lot of valuable info(and got some pretty kool free stuff) i think it was better than [email protected], but that may have just been the excitement talking! 21 days till Welcome Week!
Old 08-09-2008 at 11:09 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
haha.

you guys saw me make an ass out of myself in the first gen session...sorry i don't speak as well as dr. day...or anyone else who ran a session for that matter.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-09-2008 at 02:19 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff
Program: English and Classics
Year: Third
Residence: Edwards

Liked: 23 Times
Oh Dr. Dick Day and his sandals and suspenders.

Old 08-09-2008 at 04:52 PM   #13
tam123
Sci-co Rep
Year: Fifth

Liked: 1 Time
heh, i think my highlight of the day was forgetting the umbrella at quarters and having temera remind me lol, thanks for that! or else it would still be out there hehe as for the day itself, it was pretty good, i think all the reps did a great job, and i did a few shameless plugs for macinsiders durin dr.day's 1:00 study note session oh yeah go shameless plugs lol i tried to answer as many questions as i could with dr.day afterwards, but if anyone still has questions, feel free to pm me any time oh yeah, i was one of the guys in the black labcoats for future reference.....only one wearing a took for a hat lol
Old 08-09-2008 at 06:28 PM   #14
Toothy
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
I really enjoyed the orientation day, it was my first visit to Hamilton, so i probably enjoyed the bus tour the most. Everyone was amazingly helpful, one guy even looked up a map to a house i was going to see on his cell. I was surprised how beautiful the campus was, although the scattered showers were a little bizarre :S Also is anyone looking for a roommate? I wasnt able to find a room while i was up, please message me if you do
Old 08-10-2008 at 07:28 PM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Great to hear all the feedback about Welcome Day!

MacInsiders had a booth, but we didn't stand out as we kept things minimal with signage and just handed out coupon cards (20% off Quarters!). Don't worry, we're saving all our big freebies for Clubsfest (Sept 3rd) when we're going all out with our booth... we have a LOAD of amazing prizes we'll be giving out and a larger set up with computer and, possibly, a live DJ. So I'm sure you won't miss us . Look for the large black/silver sign that says "macinsiders.com".

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search