MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Biopharm 2010-2011 rakhrans Academics 62 06-17-2010 11:58 PM
First SRA Meeting of 2010/2011 huzaifa47 MacInsiders Announcements 19 04-13-2010 04:20 PM
2010-2011 Undergraduate Calendar dchan28 MacInsiders Announcements 11 03-26-2010 12:35 PM
Your 2010-2011 SRA is... lorend MacInsiders Announcements 54 03-14-2010 02:34 PM
Volunteer for SHEC 2010-2011 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-02-2010 12:46 PM

2010-2011 Booklist

Old 08-10-2010 at 01:10 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xalishax0x View Post
so do we buy our books for just term one now or do we buy for both terms?
Since the general rule of thumb is to wait until after the first class to buy the books, and you won't have had your first class for term 2 classes until January, it's not a good idea to buy them in Sept.

Old 08-10-2010 at 01:11 PM   #16
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0xalishax0x View Post
so do we buy our books for just term one now or do we buy for both terms?
Whatever you want. Up to you really.

Old 08-12-2010 at 05:08 PM   #17
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Liked: 97 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Not all of the courses are up yet, period. They're still hiring profs and waiting for the profs to submit what books they'll be using...depending how long that takes, some courses might not be up until right before school starts
Just a quick update on the booklist situation. The textbook buyers at Titles tell me that we have about 90% there with the book orders - that said at 8:30am today 10 more adoptions (requests) came in from the Profs.

The Custom Courseware orders are happening a bit slower this year.

nerual is right... the best rule of thumb is to wait until after your first class when you get your syllabus as things can change.

Old 08-12-2010 at 05:16 PM   #18
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
I have a question about the book list Stacey. A lot of Biology courses were moved to the Molecular Biology department and have since changed their course codes. Can Titles accommodate the change because some molecular biology book lists are still located in under the old biology course codes and it gets confusing. A lot of students may not figure this out and miss their book list.

Old 08-12-2010 at 05:35 PM   #19
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
A lot of Biology courses were moved to the Molecular Biology department and have since changed their course codes. Can Titles accommodate the change because some molecular biology book lists are still located in under the old biology course codes and it gets confusing. A lot of students may not figure this out and miss their book list.
Hummm... I am going to have to investigate this further with the Course Materials buyers but my instinct is to say there may not be too much we can do about that. The course codes come directly from the Registrar's office. We have no power to change them and if we're not told what changes have taken place I'm not sure how we will approach the problem.

Can you give me an example and I�ll check tomorrow to see if we have a cross listing in the system? That may tell me more. I'll speak with the course materials people and see what I can find out for you.

The good news is that we are trying very hard to get a new website up � the new site will let you log in with your MACID and will pull up a custom booklist for you. The bad news is I don�t know if it will be on time for Sept. but I�m trying my best.

Old 08-12-2010 at 06:10 PM   #20
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceygab View Post
Hummm... I am going to have to investigate this further with the Course Materials buyers but my instinct is to say there may not be too much we can do about that. The course codes come directly from the Registrar's office. We have no power to change them and if we're not told what changes have taken place I'm not sure how we will approach the problem.

Can you give me an example and I�ll check tomorrow to see if we have a cross listing in the system? That may tell me more. I'll speak with the course materials people and see what I can find out for you.

The good news is that we are trying very hard to get a new website up � the new site will let you log in with your MACID and will pull up a custom booklist for you. The bad news is I don�t know if it will be on time for Sept. but I�m trying my best.
Biology 3O03 which is now Molecular Biology 3O03.

Kind of weird, that's the only one up right now. I know there were more but they might have been taken down because it stated that the professor said there aren't any books.

I know 3M03 was also under Biology instead of Molecular Biology as well.

Old 08-13-2010 at 08:43 AM   #21
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Biology 3O03 which is now Molecular Biology 3O03.

Kind of weird, that's the only one up right now. I know there were more but they might have been taken down because it stated that the professor said there aren't any books.

I know 3M03 was also under Biology instead of Molecular Biology as well.
OK - here is the scoop...

We have reviewed "Mol_bi" ... Molecular Biology ...

there are 5 courses offered in term 104 ...

3H03 - is listed correctly ... Lodish ...

3I03 - is listed ... "no textbook" ...

3M03 - no adoption yet ... checking with the Coordinator...

3O03 - this was incorrectly put this under "Biolog" and has been corrected...

4GG9 - no adoption yet ... checking ...

so everything for "Mol_bi" is should now be correct ...

Thanks for bring this to our attention - keep the questions coming

jhan523 says thanks to staceygab for this post.

Old 08-13-2010 at 09:04 AM   #22
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time
so.... should i be aiming to get all my texts for the whole year now? or get first term now and second term closer to second term... also... with the texts i need n engi. almost none are in stock, but all in order, now.. it says only like 600 in order... but i would be led to believe there more than 600 engi I students this year...... is it just a first come first serve then whose ever left behind is screwed kinda thing?

Old 08-13-2010 at 10:01 AM   #23
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuchowski View Post
so.... should i be aiming to get all my texts for the whole year now? or get first term now and second term closer to second term... also... with the texts i need n engi. almost none are in stock, but all in order, now.. it says only like 600 in order... but i would be led to believe there more than 600 engi I students this year...... is it just a first come first serve then whose ever left behind is screwed kinda thing?
You can only buy texts one term at a time. And no, you will not be left behind, so don't worry about buying the books early to ensure that you get the ones you need (like people said already, you should wait until you've at least had your first class). I think they order enough books for the whole class, but sometimes people opt to buy their books elsewhere (e.g. from another student or maybe Amazon, etc.), so if anything there should be extras. If they are out of stock, you can just request that they order another one for you, and chances are that you are not the only one who needs the text.

Zuchowski says thanks to nh999 for this post.

Old 08-13-2010 at 10:03 AM   #24
Zuchowski

Liked: 1 Time
but i guess i shouldent buy them the day before classes... and also, is it expected/ recommended to take your texts to class with you?

Old 08-13-2010 at 10:10 AM   #25
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
but i guess i shouldent buy them the day before classes... and also, is it expected/ recommended to take your texts to class with you?
Some people I know liked to take their book to class and read it instead of listening to the prof, because they learned better from the textbook than from the prof. Generally though, you're in class listening to the prof, not reading the textbook, and most people won't bring the book.

It's definitely recommended to wait until after the first class to buy the book. Some profs will tell you that even though a book is listed as 'required', it's not actually necessary, or that even though only the new edition is listed, the old edition is okay too (which can save you a ton of money). I bought a book for one of my term 1 classes near the end of October last year--the prof had said on the first day it was completely unnecessary since we'd learn everything in class (although the book was listed as required on the Titles website), which would have been true, except the prof ended up being a total fail so a lot of people bought the book part-way through the term.

Zuchowski says thanks to nerual for this post.

Old 08-13-2010 at 11:28 AM   #26
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Don't worry about there not being enough books. We almost never buy to 100% of capacity for a class. Every book we bring in and then have to send back ends up costing between $10 and $15 so we are careful to look at historical sales data, review how many students are selling the book privately and a bunch of other things so we can estimate how many books we will actually need. Sales are also monitored throughout Rush and reordered if we are running low.

No worries � you won�t get screwed -lol

Old 08-13-2010 at 11:33 AM   #27
staceygab
Campus Store
McMaster Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
I bought a book for one of my term 1 classes near the end of October last year--the prof had said on the first day it was completely unnecessary since we'd learn everything in class (although the book was listed as required on the Titles website), which would have been true, except the prof ended up being a total fail so a lot of people bought the book part-way through the term.
Keep in mind that the Professor is the one who declares a book to be required or not. If the Prof tells us it is required that is how the book is listed. We can change something from required to optional but only if someone tells us... so if anyone ever hears about a discrepancy like this one please let us know and we will call the Professor and sort it out.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search