MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biology Level II Cut-offs RememberTwce Academics 27 03-24-2011 01:21 PM
Engineering Level Cut-offs* kanishka MacInsiders Announcements 72 11-28-2010 11:17 PM
When do we pick our level II program? Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 01-05-2010 10:20 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Applying to Level II program sad cypress First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-15-2008 09:54 AM

2011 Engineering Level II Program Cut-offs*

Old 03-30-2011 at 03:31 PM   #1
HelloThere__

Liked: Liked 2 Times

2011 Engineering Level II Program Cut-offs*
I took the liberty of asking Sally Williams for all of the level II eng program cut-offs for next year, and here they are:

Chemical Engineering: 4
Materials Engineering: 4
Computer Engineering: 4
Electrical Engineering: 4-5
Electrical and Biomedical: 7.2
Management Programs(Highest): 8+
Mechanical Engineering: 7-8
Civil(Structural): 6-7
Mechatronics: 5-6
Software(All programs): 5
Engineering Physics: 4 (No surprise there)

They've gone up from last year...*Sigh*

P.S. According to Sally, if you have an overall "score" of 270+ (total units x overall grade average), you're good for any program (aside from Management). So, if you have 37 units (You've never dropped a course), and an overall average of...7.5? You'd have a "score" of (7.5 x 37 ~ 278). If you dropped a 3-unit course, however, you'd have a score of (7.5 x 34 ~ 255). Basically, if you dropped any courses, you'd have to have a higher average to get the same "score" as someone who hasn't dropped anything.

On a side note, what are you planning to go into next year?
Old 03-30-2011 at 03:59 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

there goes my chances for mngment
Old 03-30-2011 at 04:12 PM   #3
leech3

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Have faith. You might surprise yourself and end up killing those final exams.
ENG 1C03 is usually good for boosting your average.
Old 03-30-2011 at 04:35 PM   #4
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Rofl, I call bull$#!+ . The way program cut-offs work tells me that you're making this up. They don't just pick numbers for cut-offs... They look at how many people are applying for each program (And you haven't applied yet) then they look at the lowest average of say, the top 110 people (if they want 110 people in the program that year) and they say: This is the cutoff.

BlueMorphan, ThagsanaR like this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 05:26 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Society's way more fun anyways! You could take managiety

Ish001 likes this.
Old 03-30-2011 at 05:47 PM   #6
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Rofl, I call bull$#!+ . The way program cut-offs work tells me that you're making this up. They don't just pick numbers for cut-offs... They look at how many people are applying for each program (And you haven't applied yet) then they look at the lowest average of say, the top 110 people (if they want 110 people in the program that year) and they say: This is the cutoff.
exactly, there are no way she could know the cut offs until before they actually look at the demand for each program. These are estimates at most so don't lose hope!
Old 03-30-2011 at 06:35 PM   #7
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere__ View Post
I took the liberty of asking Sally Williams for all of the level II eng program cut-offs for next year, and here they are:

Chemical Engineering: 4
Materials Engineering: 4
Computer Engineering: 4
Electrical Engineering: 4-5
Electrical and Biomedical: 7.2
Management Programs(Highest): 8+
Mechanical Engineering: 7-8
Civil(Structural): 6-7
Mechatronics: 5-6
Software(All programs): 5
Engineering Physics: 4 (No surprise there)

They've gone up from last year...*Sigh*

P.S. According to Sally, if you have an overall "score" of 270+ (total units x overall grade average), you're good for any program (aside from Management). So, if you have 37 units (You've never dropped a course), and an overall average of...7.5? You'd have a "score" of (7.5 x 37 ~ 278). If you dropped a 3-unit course, however, you'd have a score of (7.5 x 34 ~ 255). Basically, if you dropped any courses, you'd have to have a higher average to get the same "score" as someone who hasn't dropped anything.

On a side note, what are you planning to go into next year?
She lies to everyone, every year, to ensure that no idiot slacks off right before exams and doesn't get into the program they want to get into based on faulty information. Unless its Eng Phys, then you are guaranteed in.
Old 03-30-2011 at 06:36 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Sally never gives firm numbers for cutoffs, all she says is try your best and a 4 will guarantee you in *some* stream. As already stated, cuttoff changes from year to year and depends on the demand, so there is never a fixed number. For all you know, if a bunch of people apply for eng phys next year and the program only holds 30, the cutoff could end up as like a 7.0