MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Parking 2012/2013 ? NatalyaOtaku Automotive & Transportation 3 04-09-2012 12:04 PM
CA Positions for 2012 - 2013 jingletunes Residence & Housing 45 02-10-2012 11:22 PM

2012-2013 Tentative MTT released!

Old 05-01-2012 at 09:34 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I finally finished making my mock timetable. Making one definitely helped and your template saved me time. In my second term I have so many unwanted breaks like 2, 2 hour breaks on Monday 1, 2 hour break on Wednesday 1, 3 hour break on Thursday. I pretty much cannot avoid them, so would it be wise just to try to get as much work done in those long time periods or should I more or less just relax? I haven't had a break longer than 1 hour in first year, so I don't really know what to do and feel somewhat bummed out now. My first term schedule is excellent though.
Just remember it's a mock timetable and although from experience (and lots of perseverance) I've been able to get my actual timetable based on my mock timetable, it's not actually guaranteed.

The template probably didn't actually save you time though... When I made my mock timetable the template took me like 2 minutes to make.

As for your breaks, if you can be productive then that's always the best. You may have readings to do or assignments you can work on. 2 hour breaks are way better than 1 hour breaks. I've never been productive with a 1 hour break which sucks because if you have multiple 1 hour breaks in the same day then you basically "wasted" those hours.

So use the breaks to your advantage, it'll free up your evening/night times. That's how I was able to be so social in 2nd year. I always worked on my assignments during my breaks, it was quite easy to work on them because I wasn't so tired from classes at that point. When classes were done, I always went home and relaxed before partying or hanging out with my housemates playing video games and the like. If I didn't work on my assignments/labs/etc during my breaks, I still wouldn't want to work on them when I got home until several hours later and by the time I'm done it's already really late.

anonanon987 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 05-01-2012 at 09:37 PM   #16
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Just remember it's a mock timetable and although from experience (and lots of perseverance) I've been able to get my actual timetable based on my mock timetable, it's not actually guaranteed.

The template probably didn't actually save you time though... When I made my mock timetable the template took me like 2 minutes to make.

As for your breaks, if you can be productive then that's always the best. You may have readings to do or assignments you can work on. 2 hour breaks are way better than 1 hour breaks. I've never been productive with a 1 hour break which sucks because if you have multiple 1 hour breaks in the same day then you basically "wasted" those hours.

So use the breaks to your advantage, it'll free up your evening/night times. That's how I was able to be so social in 2nd year. I always worked on my assignments during my breaks, it was quite easy to work on them because I wasn't so tired from classes at that point. When classes were done, I always went home and relaxed before partying or hanging out with my housemates playing video games and the like. If I didn't work on my assignments/labs/etc during my breaks, I still wouldn't want to work on them when I got home until several hours later and by the time I'm done it's already really late.
Well the thing is I'll probably get my mock timetable because most of my lectures have only 1 core. Perhaps not the tutorials I want (but there are literally 20 for each class xD) but yeah. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do the same.

Old 05-01-2012 at 09:59 PM   #17
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well the thing is I'll probably get my mock timetable because most of my lectures have only 1 core. Perhaps not the tutorials I want (but there are literally 20 for each class xD) but yeah. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably do the same.
Yeah, having 1 core can be good because it's less stressful when it comes to selection, but at the same time it sucks if the only core is a night class or 8:30 class (If those are the types of classes you hate).

I know your in business but in case other people are reading this (or maybe you yourself may do this), I think one of the best things to do (better than assignments/labs, maybe even better than readings) if you have a break (be it 1 hour or more) is to do research (If required for any courses). Research will probably always take more time than a break will allow but when I start my research, it's very general. I go through articles, only reading the abstract (and sometimes the discussion if the abstract doesn't provide me with enough information) and bookmark (or download) the pdfs of articles I find interesting/relevant to whatever I'm doing. I say doing research is the best choice for breaks because it often takes a long time to do research. The last thing you want to be stuck doing is research for 4, 5, or sometimes even longer hours in the evening/night. It's very exhausting and will even detract you from your train of thought when you are writing your assignment/lab report/whatever else you are doing the research for. Doing research ahead of time may seem stupid at first, but you should have your project/lab in mind when you are doing this research and proper labelling of your pdfs/bookmarks will aid you in completing your project faster.

Also, if you are the type of person who, when writing a lab report/assignment, cite whatever article sounds like it gives a good reference to your sentence then you may want to change that especially if you are looking to do a thesis, and graduate school. Your supervisor will most probably (I say this because I can't possibly know every supervisor) read/scan every reference you use and the way you use it. I've even had my supervisor tell me there are better articles that should be used to cite a certain sentence I wrote. Although at first I thought "whatever, as long as it cites it then it's fine", in actuality it does matter. When you choose to do a thesis, chances are you are looking at graduate school and further research and the way your write your thesis is an important foundation on the way you will write journal articles to submit for publication. So if research is something that really interests you as a career option, then learning to do research of articles and proper use of those articles as reference is important.

Anyways, kind of long and off topic. To anyone who wants to reply with a comment or question please pm me instead of replying to this thread.

Alchemist11, anonanon987, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:08 PM   #18
Abhimint

Liked: 4 Times
Hey Iam new to this..and it caught my eye..
What is the MTT?

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:09 PM   #19
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhimint View Post
Hey Iam new to this..and it caught my eye..
What is the MTT?
mcmaster timetable

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:28 PM   #20
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times
Omg, I've been dying to see the schedule since even before exams.. xD
I know what I'm doing tonight :3

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:31 PM   #21
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
mcmaster timetable
I thought it was Master Timetable? not McMaster
I guess it doesn't really matter but w/e

eullwm likes this.

Old 05-01-2012 at 10:33 PM   #22
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo.monica View Post
I thought it was Master Timetable? not McMaster
I guess it doesn't really matter but w/e
lol, yea you are right.

Old 05-02-2012 at 12:09 AM   #23
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times
Wow. This was quick LOL. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2012 at 03:17 AM   #24
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times
Great, I have a bunch of conflicts that can possibly screw me over in the long run. What are the odds that this list will change by time the confirmed one gets put up?

Old 05-02-2012 at 11:16 AM   #25
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
What are the odds that this list will change by time the confirmed one gets put up?
i'm wondering the same thing, it seems like some important courses arent being offered.. im hoping it changes!

Old 05-02-2012 at 11:45 AM   #26
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times
So I'm probably being stupid but I can't find the tentaive MTT! Can someone link me please?

Old 05-02-2012 at 11:48 AM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
So I'm probably being stupid but I can't find the tentaive MTT! Can someone link me please?
The link is in the first post... but here it is again: https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mtt/U201209.html

lizziepizzie says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 05-02-2012 at 12:07 PM   #28
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
Only you liz, only you.

Old 05-02-2012 at 12:20 PM   #29
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times
Quote:
Only you liz, only you.
I knew someone would say that. But honestly, the first post isn't showing up for me and I don't know why. I knew the link would be there but I can't see the post!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search