MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I really need a macpass? vjonica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-28-2010 08:41 PM
Macpass cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-06-2010 02:10 PM
Macpass Ish001 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 07-16-2010 01:48 PM
Macpass cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-16-2010 08:55 AM

2012 Macpass

Old 07-19-2012 at 03:31 PM   #1
Unregistered

2012 Macpass
Is it worth it? What did last year's Macpass come with, specifically for commerce students (because I think you get different stuff with each faculty...).
Old 07-19-2012 at 03:42 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Mainly access to all frosh events+frosh concert. I got a handbook made by upper years, tshirt, laundry bag and some swag

jim1 likes this.
Old 07-19-2012 at 03:54 PM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
Mainly access to all frosh events+frosh concert. I got a handbook made by upper years, tshirt, laundry bag and some swag
and some swag? *facepalm*

Swampis likes this.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:13 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

Swag as in an Engineering mug, eng logo stickers and I forgot the last one.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:15 PM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

it isnt worth the money. the only event i went to that required macpass had a $5 admission lol. you get a tshirt that you wont wear again though so its up to you.

jim1, myroodle like this.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:21 PM   #6
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

... Actually? It's clearly not being communicated very well that the MacPass fee is worked into your student fees this year. So you've already paid for it. Also, this year, eng is going to have WICKED swag to give away. Wish you were in Eng now :p? Or maybe you are. Just remember to get your swag and come to Faculty Night if you are in Eng! And everything else, all week!

Chad says thanks to mike_302 for this post.
Old 07-19-2012 at 04:24 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

^last year we had to pay an extra 100-125 bucks for the macpass depending on when we bought it. is it included this year?
Old 07-19-2012 at 05:03 PM   #8
Griffindoor
Account Locked

Liked: 5 Times

You're still paying for it but this time you're forced to pay for it as its mandatory in first year tuition. I thought it was a rip off too but in hindsight I wish I had gotten one in first year. It's good in a way that Mac is doing this instead of every student having to ask their parents for additional money as I didn't want to.

That being said Mac has much more disposable income on these sales since everyone is buying them. Which is supposedly going to lead to better events/concerts. I'm not complaining since I'm not first year and may attend an event or two.

Silver says thanks to Griffindoor for this post.
Old 07-19-2012 at 06:29 PM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Yes, as other users have pointed out.. the macpass is included in the fees now that FIRST-YEAR students pay. Note, only level 1 first-year students pay the mandatory fee which is $110.

This was part of a notion that was passed when 600+ students showed up to vote in favour of it getting passed. There was a big story about it in The Sil here: http://www.thesil.ca/?p=4142

In the end, here's basically what happened:

On March 28, 2012, McMaster students voted in favour of a University Orientation Fee (MacPass) in the amount of $110 for all level 1 undergrad students registered for 18 or more units. This fee is used for the operation of Welcome Week, organized in partnership by the MSU and the Student Success Centre. If you are registered for 18 units or more as of August 31, 2012, this charge will appear on your student account in September. This fee will entitle you to participate in all orientation programs and events administered by the Student Success Centre, MSU and faculty societies commencing Saturday September 1 through to Sunday September 9, 2012. Currently there is no opt-out provision. These events are planned for all students including off campus (renting), commuter students (living at home), and students living on campus.

NOTE: You can to
register for your MacPass to guarantee t-shirt size if you register by Friday, July 27, 2012!
Old 07-20-2012 at 08:25 PM   #10
Griffindoor
Account Locked

Liked: 5 Times

I hope most of the events aren't "MacPass" only, though.
Old 07-20-2012 at 09:59 PM   #11
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffindoor View Post
I hope most of the events aren't "MacPass" only, though.

Not sure why that matters seeing your info tag says you are third year but anyways....the reg events that are normally for the whole school will still be for the whole school ex. sidewalk sale, clubsfest and a concert
Old 07-20-2012 at 10:15 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Its interesting that a vote was passed by people who aren't really affected by the result, and don't have to pay into the thing. Its not like incoming first years can object to this since they're not a part of the McMaster community yet. I wonder if levying the entire student body a considerably is 'fairer' since not just first years go to all the events.

thuks0251 says thanks to RyanC for this post.

kimzy, thuks0251 like this.
Old 07-20-2012 at 10:19 PM   #13
guerilla

Liked: 33 Times

As a first year student, I will be missing that $110 dearly.
Old 07-20-2012 at 10:35 PM   #14
kimzy

Liked: 48 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla View Post
As a first year student, I will be missing that $110 dearly.
If you are able to attend it will be a time well spent and you will have swag to keep for the future. You will treasure them when you get older. It is only one time that you are in first year at McMaster.
Old 07-20-2012 at 11:28 PM   #15
Silver
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzy View Post
If you are able to attend it will be a time well spent and you will have swag to keep for the future. You will treasure them when you get older. It is only one time that you are in first year at McMaster.
the 'swag' we got for science was a frisbee and some skinny plastic water bottle and a tshirt. i dont understand why its called swag. most found it a waste. sure everyone played frisbee for a few minutes when we got it but after that not really. and why are you gonna treasure that when youre older? we mightve gotten a few more little things such as pens, sticky notes, etc, but nothing that was cool >_>

Swampis, thuks0251 like this.