MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfering to Second Year Commerce Theexe1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-20-2009 06:45 PM
First Year Commerce Textbooks aney.m First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-16-2009 12:03 PM
2nd year commerce tangs24 Academics 3 03-24-2009 09:51 AM

2nd year commerce

Old 09-21-2009 at 08:08 PM   #1
MrSmith

Liked: 4 Times

2nd year commerce
Hi guys i was just wondering how hard is commerce 2 compared to first year?
Old 09-21-2009 at 08:33 PM   #2
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

There is defiantly a rise in expectation level. The work isn't as difficult as everyone makes it out to be; although the reality of having 2-3 midterms almost every weekend for a 10 week-run isnt something to me taken lightly.

The bottom line comes to: results can only be achieved with effort.

The amount of effort put into the general first year of studies probably won't give you the results you are looking for in 2nd year. Don't be worried, just work hard and everything will be fine.

Matthew K says thanks to james2255 for this post.

hollie012 likes this.
Old 09-21-2009 at 08:42 PM   #3
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

hey, i'm in first year commerce. Would taking summer school help lighten the load in 2nd year? If so, which course(s) should I be taking in summer school?
Old 09-21-2009 at 08:45 PM   #4
james2255
Faculty Society VP

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
hey, i'm in first year commerce. Would taking summer school help lighten the load in 2nd year? If so, which course(s) should I be taking in summer school?
I know a few people that did, but I personally didn't find it necessary to take summer school in order to produce some good results from 2nd year.

If you find summer school is right for you; people traditionally take ECON 2X03 (business Economics) or COMM 2AA3 (Financial Accounting). If you are only taking one, I suggest 2x03 as 2aa3 can move very fast in the summer- especially if you didn't take accounting in highschool.

Matthew K says thanks to james2255 for this post.
Old 10-02-2009 at 11:10 PM   #5
hollie012

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
Taking summer school would definitely lighten the load in 2nd year. I suggest if you want to take ECON 2X03, take it with Aswani. I'm not sure if he is starting to teach during summer as well, but I found him way better than Holmes. All Holmes know how to do is read off the slides. Aswani actually explains the material pretty well, and if you have a way to find his past tests, it's a good mark guaranteed. I know a lot of people took COMM 2AA3 and 2FA3, since 2AA3 is in first term and 2FA3 is in second term during the Fall/Winter year. It lightens your load especially if you have 2MA3 during first term and 2AB3 during second during your Fall/Winter year. However, 2AA3 is a prereq for 2FA3... That means you have to stay in Hamilton for schooling from May to beginning of August.

And if you take summer school, the chances of having 2 midterms per weekend is slimmer.
Old 10-02-2009 at 11:21 PM   #6
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
Taking summer school would definitely lighten the load in 2nd year. I suggest if you want to take ECON 2X03, take it with Aswani. I'm not sure if he is starting to teach during summer as well, but I found him way better than Holmes.
Really? I had him for summer school and didn't really get the material until I got a friend to show me the Holmes powerpoints.
Old 10-02-2009 at 11:33 PM   #7
hollie012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Really? I had him for summer school and didn't really get the material until I got a friend to show me the Holmes powerpoints.
Aswani's not bad at all. And that's where the past tests come in from Time to memorize answers!
Old 10-05-2009 at 09:07 AM   #8
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollie012 View Post
Aswani's not bad at all. And that's where the past tests come in from Time to memorize answers!
any idea where we can get past tests from?
Old 10-05-2009 at 09:41 AM   #9
hollie012

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
any idea where we can get past tests from?
Some upper year might have past tests. Ask them if they have any. That's the only way to get them. I don't think Aswani will post that many sample tests from previous years.