MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

2nd year eng

Old 02-12-2011 at 01:43 PM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

2nd year eng
I am wondering

For 2nd year engineering I know that you pick what sector of engineering you want

I want Civil engineering (structural) and Management

I dont really want anything else

what happens if I dont make it can I go to another type of engineering and transfer back to Civil?

Thanks guys and no trolls please I know its tempting
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:47 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

My boyfriend's in Civil Engineering. They've gotten rid of the separate streams this year, apparently, so you can't pick between structural and environmental now.

Last edited by alh24 : 02-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:52 PM   #3
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
My boyfriend's in Civil Engineering. They've gotten rid of the streams this year, apparently, so Civil Engineering is one stream now.
im confused what did they get rid of?
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:53 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
im confused what did they get rid of?
You can't pick between structural and environmental streams when you go into Civil Engineering anymore, they've just incorporated both into Civil Engineering. My boyfriend and housemates were griping about it one day.

mfattal says thanks to alh24 for this post.
Old 02-12-2011 at 01:57 PM   #5
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh24 View Post
You can't pick between structural and environmental streams when you go into Civil Engineering anymore, they've just incorporated both into Civil Engineering. My boyfriend and housemates were griping about it one day.

oh that sucks so do they accept more people? and will the competition grow?
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:00 PM   #6
alh24
Elite Member

Quote:
oh that sucks so do they accept more people? and will the competition grow?
Good question. I'm not sure, though. You'd be better off to ask an Engineering student in that program.

I don't think it sounds like a bad thing, really. With continuing focus on the environment these days, it seems like a good idea that all students who want to pursue structural engineering also have a good background in environmental aspects. My roommate and boyfriend don't like the environmental courses, but they both agree it'll probably make them more employable. Plus apparently this is something a lot of schools have already done, so it's good to be on par with other schools in that they're well-versed in both the environmental and structural components of civil engineering.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:04 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
I am wondering

For 2nd year engineering I know that you pick what sector of engineering you want

I want Civil engineering (structural) and Management

I dont really want anything else

what happens if I dont make it can I go to another type of engineering and transfer back to Civil?

Thanks guys and no trolls please I know its tempting
You are really stressing about not making it to 2nd year. This is a good thing, hopefully you will work harder as a result.

Some options are available to help ease the transition.

i) LEAP (I mentioned to you this before)

ii) Summer school. As in you push some courses to summer and spring semester. So instead of taking 12 courses in 2 semesters, you take 12 courses spread out over 4 semesters.

iii) Worst come to worst if you still don't get in even when you tried your hardest, you can repeat 1st year Engineering and upgrade your marks.

mfattal says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:09 PM   #8
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
You are really stressing about not making it to 2nd year. This is a good thing, hopefully you will work harder as a result.

Some options are available to help ease the transition.

i) LEAP (I mentioned to you this before)

ii) Summer school. As in you push some courses to summer and spring semester. So instead of taking 12 courses in 2 semesters, you take 12 courses spread out over 4 semesters.

iii) Worst come to worst if you still don't get in even when you tried your hardest, you can repeat 1st year Engineering and upgrade your marks.
ya dosent seem to bad just hope i dont get kicked out of mac lol

i repeated grade 12 in order to get my 88% average

and I am gona try and take them all and what ever dosent work out ill repeat in summer

they dont penalize u for repeated in first year eng right?
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:12 PM   #9
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Someone else have to help you on this one.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:25 PM   #10
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Get about a 7 or 8 GPA and you will get into anything you want basically

xxsumz says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 02-12-2011 at 02:52 PM   #11
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I know some people that are repeating first year because they didn't get their first choice. I also know people who were set on a certain stream and ended up loving a totally different one by the end of first year.

To answer your question, I hear its easier to just repeat first year and harder to switch into another department once in second year. (don't quote me on that one).

Just work hard and you'll end up exactly where you want!

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 02-12-2011 at 03:02 PM   #12
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Get about a 7 or 8 GPA and you will get into anything you want basically
This is true. If we work hard at it in first year you'll have nothing to worry about.

If you don't get into civil, you could put a similar stream as your second choice (something that has courses that are shared with civil, maybe materials? I'm not the one to ask) then you can make a better case when you want to transfer, and make the transfer easier.

But don't think about that till you have to. Aim for a high GPA.
Old 02-14-2011 at 10:20 AM   #13
m0ns13ur

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
and I am gona try and take them all and what ever dosent work out ill repeat in summer

Why wouldn't they? If you fail a course and repeat it, no matter what year you're in, you'll be penalized. I personally failed PHYS1E03 and took it in the summer. Now I've got a 0 and my summer mark beside each other. Had I dropped it and taken it in the summer, it would not have counted. A fail is still a fail.

I also would recommend spreading everything out. Believe me - and everyone else - it's better than "going all in" - especially as you repeated grade 12 already.

Take ENG1C03/ENG1P03 in the summer, at the very least - since these are the super easy courses (but still time consuming) which you can get out of your way via summer LEAP.

Following that, in the regular year, you could take a certain number of courses in the fall/winter terms, and then in the summer, you could take one or two more courses. Summer courses are weighted exactly the same as regular ones, and there's no 'shame' or 'lower mark weighting' in taking them in the summer. Plus, the classes are smaller, so the focus is often a lot better, and you end up learning things you may not have otherwise.

I'm only stressing the summer since I've seen many of your posts on MacInsiders already, and you're one of those few students who knows what they want to do, but don't know how to achieve it. However, you're at least taking the *initiative* to go about looking for options, alternatives, thoughts, and all that. Many people don't even do that and just go right into University without a clue. (Myself included two years ago, lol.)

Anyhow, I hope the above helps. By all means, keep us informed as to what you choose to do.

mfattal says thanks to m0ns13ur for this post.
Old 02-14-2011 at 10:26 AM   #14
mfattal
Elite Member

I am thinking of just taking 6 courses first sem and 6 courses 2nd sems

ENG1C03/ENG1P03 are easy as i heard but they give good average boosters

I will try and get notes from some one now seeing that I am not going to school atm and try and get ahead.

if any one knows a good place to get notes or some one has it up on those sites where u uplode stuff please let me know

thanks guys
Old 02-14-2011 at 01:15 PM   #15
HaXoRZ

Liked: 4 Times

1P03 for us last year was pretty chill and an easy mark booster dunno about it now that it's only one semester, 1C03 while fairly straightforward is EXTREMELY time consuming especially the final project which is usually due a week before exams start and can really put you into a bind, last year I had my P03 and C03 projects due on back to back days.

As for second year if you get a 7 your set, last year the averages were really low for every program wehter this was because a lot of people dropped out or that our year wasn't that bright I dunno but other than mechanical or the management streams a 4 was all you needed