MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
McMaster First Year Nursing!!! Message me if your in the first year program as well crumble Introduce Yourself 0 08-12-2010 09:40 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

2nd year eng

Old 02-14-2011 at 03:15 PM   #16
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

I was in your similar situation to you before I came to Mac. I wasn't interested in any other type of engineering other than Civil and Engineering and Management was one of the reasons that I chose McMaster over Waterloo.

As long as you have about an 8 average (maybe even 7.5), you should get into Management. Civil was apparently really hard to get into in my year and it seems that interest has really gone up in the past few years, but how hard Civil is to get into is pretty much meaningless if you're set on Management since that generally has a higher cutoff than any of the streams (ie: Civil, Mech, Chem, etc.). A good way to boost your 1st year GPA is to take both first year Econ classes (1B03, which is required in 1st year, and 1BB3, which you'll have to take in 2nd or 3rd year anyway) as your 2 electives. They will be ridiculously easy compared to some of the math and physics you have to do in first year.

If worst comes to worst and you don't get into Management, you can always have Engineering and Society as your second choice and take a minor in business.

I thought that if you took Eng 1P03 and Eng 1C03 over the summer they didn't count towards the average that is used for determining acceptance into 2nd year programs. The way it works for 2nd year is your average of all the courses you took is multiplied by the number of units that you took. Typically Eng 1 has 37 units, so if you took both 1P and 1C over the summer, your average would be multiplied by 31 instead of 37.

This makes a huge difference. Getting an 8 with 31 units will give you as much choosing power with regards to second year programs as someone who had a 6.7 with 37 units. But then again, both courses feature a large time consuming design project (or at least they did in my year, I know 1P changes pretty frequently), so it would lighten your workload considerably.

I'm not entirely sure about the summer courses though, but I'm pretty sure that's what we were told when I was going into second year (they give you a bunch of info about 2nd year at the end of 1st year)....if any of what I've written doesn't make sense, let me know since I'm not sure how much you already know about how selection of 2nd year courses works.

mfattal says thanks to Porsche911 for this post.
Old 02-16-2011 at 09:34 AM   #17
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

thanks

I know alot about how selection for 2nd year works
now I know its better to take 1p and 1c during the year because there is a big difference when calculating ur average with 37 units instead of 31
so 6 x37=222 222/31=7.1 so u can see the change in average

thanks for ur help guys i think i know what i want to do now
Old 02-16-2011 at 11:06 AM   #18
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
thanks

I know alot about how selection for 2nd year works
now I know its better to take 1p and 1c during the year because there is a big difference when calculating ur average with 37 units instead of 31
so 6 x37=222 222/31=7.1 so u can see the change in average

thanks for ur help guys i think i know what i want to do now
Why are you dividing by 31?

For selection of Eng II, they don't do average GPA. They just do how many points in total, which is 222.
Old 02-16-2011 at 11:52 AM   #19
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Why are you dividing by 31?

For selection of Eng II, they don't do average GPA. They just do how many points in total, which is 222.
yes i know

so if u get a total gpa of 6 with 37 units its better then getting 7 gpa with 31 units ( like when u take 1P03 and 1C03 in LEAP Summer)

So decided to take full load in day school
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:05 PM   #20
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
yes i know

so if u get a total gpa of 6 with 37 units its better then getting 7 gpa with 31 units ( like when u take 1P03 and 1C03 in LEAP Summer)

So decided to take full load in day school
The difference between 6 and 7 is 3% max. Are you saying that if you lose 6 full units of time consuming course you will only do 3% (max) better?

Doesn't sounds right does it? Try plugging in a 8 and see what you will get.

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

Don't get stuck on theoretical yield calculation.

I'm not swaying you either way. But just be realistic and don't sit there and go "Oh if I have this number, it I will get this". School isn't a RPG game. You don't really know what and how you will be until you are in it.

Good luck either way!

mfattal says thanks to PHLN for this post.
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:16 PM   #21
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
The difference between 6 and 7 is 3% max. Are you saying that if you lose 6 full units of time consuming course you will only do 3% (max) better?

Doesn't sounds right does it? Try plugging in a 8 and see what you will get.

http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/...nversion-chart

Don't get stuck on theoretical yield calculation.

I'm not swaying you either way. But just be realistic and don't sit there and go "Oh if I have this number, it I will get this". School isn't a RPG game. You don't really know what and how you will be until you are in it.

Good luck either way!
Thanks I forgot that it was a 3-5% difference

now I have to think again lol

but thanks for ur help but I might just get a full course load

I am also thinking from a perspective

Studying 80% fun 20%

and then for the 4 month break 100% fun and work

What u think?
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:18 PM   #22
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:

Studying 80% fun 20%

What u think?
Everyone is difference. In terms of how long they can sit and study and how much time they need to understand the material. So I don't know.

You might even find a cutie at Mac the first day and end up distracting yourself...
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:33 PM   #23
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Everyone is difference. In terms of how long they can sit and study and how much time they need to understand the material. So I don't know.

You might even find a cutie at Mac the first day and end up distracting yourself...
lol then ill put everything for the summer
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:43 PM   #24
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:

Studying 80% fun 20%

What u think?
im just wondering as well for the conversion chart how come a GPA of 6 is 67-69 64-65 60-64 why is it different? if u got time explain plz

thanks
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:45 PM   #25
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
im just wondering as well for the conversion chart how come a GPA of 6 is 67-69 64-65 60-64 why is it different? if u got time explain plz

thanks

Not sure about the other columns. I think its just how you can break down the percentage.

The one Mcmaster use is column number 3 in order to obtain numbers in column 10
Old 02-16-2011 at 12:49 PM   #26
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Like PHLN, I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just bear in mind that while getting 3% higher in a course or 2 isn't that big of a deal, raising your GPA a whole point means getting 3-5% better in EVERY course. I know that may sound obvious, but I just want to stress that it's not as easy as it sounds to raise your GPA by 1 point.

You'll have courses that everyone calls bird courses like Eng 1C03, both Econ and depending on how good at math you are, the math courses as well, that you'll hope to have an 80%+ in. If you look at the 12 point scale, an increase of 3% doesn't necessarily mean an increase in the mark you get if you're in that range.

On the other hand, I always found that for certain courses (in first year it was the physics courses for me) that no matter how much work I put in, I was always in the mid-high 60s. Even if I didn't have 1C/1P, I don't think I would have done any better in 1st year physics.

Again, I really don't want to sway your opinion too much, I'm just trying to give advice based on my own personal experience.

mfattal says thanks to Porsche911 for this post.
Old 02-16-2011 at 01:04 PM   #27
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche911 View Post
Like PHLN, I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, but just bear in mind that while getting 3% higher in a course or 2 isn't that big of a deal, raising your GPA a whole point means getting 3-5% better in EVERY course. I know that may sound obvious, but I just want to stress that it's not as easy as it sounds to raise your GPA by 1 point.

You'll have courses that everyone calls bird courses like Eng 1C03, both Econ and depending on how good at math you are, the math courses as well, that you'll hope to have an 80%+ in. If you look at the 12 point scale, an increase of 3% doesn't necessarily mean an increase in the mark you get if you're in that range.

On the other hand, I always found that for certain courses (in first year it was the physics courses for me) that no matter how much work I put in, I was always in the mid-high 60s. Even if I didn't have 1C/1P, I don't think I would have done any better in 1st year physics.

Again, I really don't want to sway your opinion too much, I'm just trying to give advice based on my own personal experience.
I know what u mean I was thinking the exact way you mentioned

Thats why my final decision is to take a full load of first year with econ courses as my electives

Thanks you guys were really helpfull
Old 02-16-2011 at 01:10 PM   #28
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I know what u mean I was thinking the exact way you mentioned

Thats why my final decision is to take a full load of first year with econ courses as my electives

Thanks you guys were really helpfull
You know what other electives are easy? Psych 1X03.
Old 02-16-2011 at 01:19 PM   #29
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
You know what other electives are easy? Psych 1X03.
im gona need to take coop and Managment

so I need an ecenomics course not sure which one

and I need 1EE03 something like that

i only get 2 electives right?
Old 02-16-2011 at 01:37 PM   #30
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
im gona need to take coop and Managment

so I need an ecenomics course not sure which one

and I need 1EE03 something like that

i only get 2 electives right?
Oh right.

Here is a useful page. You will need to learn how to use the calendar soon enough.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1208.html