MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Second Year Health Sci Get Significantly Harder? rcmp1234 Academics 24 01-10-2011 01:43 AM
First Year Science Students -- Free pizza and a great second year program option MedPhys First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 11-04-2010 10:52 PM
Is it possible to go into life science for 1 year then transfer into nursing 2nd year memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-21-2010 08:47 PM

is 2nd year science course harder than 1st year?

Old 07-10-2011 at 12:25 AM   #1
wjd1dud

Liked: 0 Times

is 2nd year science course harder than 1st year?
Hi,
i know this is a question that would be kind of hard to answer, but i just want to hear your general thought from you guys' experience....

Do you think 2nd year science course is harder than 1st year science course?
I know that the contents probably gets more in depth and complex, but did you guys could maintain similar marks as you got in the 1st year?

and is the difficulty of the questions they give you on the tests and labs become trickier or complicated?
(im asking in more in focus to bio and chem courses)

Thank you
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:30 AM   #2
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Oh right, you are the guy wanting to switch from medrad to science right? May I ask why?

I'm going into 2nd year life sciences here, I heard 2nd year actually gets easier because you are used to the system. As for difficulty, I believe this varies for different courses but generally they are harder. (obviously because they are more advanced) But with hard work, most people seem to climb up in terms of their GPA because they are a better student than the year before.

wjd1dud says thanks to jeboi7 for this post.
Old 07-10-2011 at 03:11 AM   #3
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

I found first year was still basically a review of high-school material.
Second year is when you start to really learn new material, which makes it harder.
And more is expected in terms of labs and assignments, but more written (short answer) questions rather than the basic MC midterms and exams from first year.

Oh and chem courses get pretty bad in second year in comparison from first.
Dropped about 8 grade levels, but probably because I had an insane semester and didn't pay enough attention to chem.

wjd1dud says thanks to ikantsepll for this post.
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:03 PM   #4
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

My marks went up slightly from first year.

The material doesn't get too much more difficult, and depending on the program you're in, just becomes even stupider than first year.

If you take courses like Biochem 2EE3 you'll see what I mean. It's dumb not difficult.

Most other courses get slightly more difficult but that doesn't mean your marks will go down by a lot (if at all).
Old 07-10-2011 at 12:44 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I got almost an entire grade point more than first year. I found the course load and difficulty higher in second year compared to first year. Like someone mentioned above, I found first year to be mostly review.

wjd1dud says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 02:52 AM   #6
wjd1dud

i totally agree with the fact about 1st year science course to be very much the review of highschool. I guess thats why i found it so easy....
You guys mentioned about the tests becoming more based on short answer type right (rather than mc)?
Are these short answer types all very conceptual and tricky? (because this is the aspect that im most worried about)

thanks
Old 07-11-2011 at 03:59 AM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

To some extent, it probably depends on what program you're in.

In programs that allow you take many electives, you could probably just choose your courses based on difficulty. For instance, I know of many people in upper years who solely take easy courses to lighten their workload and to increase their GPA. This doesn't just apply to McMaster, it happens at every institution. I don't blame these people, because that's simply the way education is structured in this country. A high GPA often trumps above all else.

In programs that offer fewer electives, things are a little different, because you may be forced to take certain high workload courses where getting a high GPA becomes incredibly difficult. A simple example of this would be if you're enrolled in Math & Physics. I believe many of these students took both General Relativity (GR) and Quantum in third year. If they didn't take GR, they would have to take analytical mechanics, which is probably not any better. Getting a double digit mark in these courses is HARD, you need to be brilliant (or very very good at math). It makes orgo look like a complete joke. So, for programs like math and physics, your workload would become harder and harder as the years progress.

To answer your question, I would say that it depends purely on the courses you are taking. If you're looking to take it easy, you can probably make a schedule that allows you to live a comfortable life and get a decent GPA. If you want a challenge, then you can probably take more "difficult" courses and work harder for those grades.
Old 09-14-2011 at 10:21 PM   #8
munyeexD

this post actually helped...thanks=D
Old 09-15-2011 at 11:35 AM   #9
IcexFire

Liked: 6 Times

First year is hard in the sense that most people don't know how much work is suppose to go into classes. Marks tend to be lower but the actual content is NOT harder. 2nd year is slightly more difficult in content but most people, including myself, find themselves doing substantially better in 2nd year than in 1st. A mild warning though, 3rd year and specifically 4th year classes tend to be much more difficult to get A's since professors tend to expect a lot more out of you. Content in 3rd and 4th year is also much more advanced, considering your past courses are often considered a foundation to upper year courses.

Also yes, tests tend to be more short answer or essay questions than mutiple choice which can be negative or positive. If you know what you are talking about short answer questions tend to be easier but if you are not an extensive studier, you may have a hard time with it. Part marks are always useful too with short answer.

Last edited by IcexFire : 09-15-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-15-2011 at 05:48 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

There are probably just as many people who say it's harder as will say it's easier. Often, the courses themselves have more advanced material, but you are better at dealing with it. It really all depends on you, so whether or not people on here say it was harder or easier is irrelevant.
Old 09-18-2011 at 11:22 PM   #11
widyanci

Liked: 2 Times

I honestly have been liking second year more. Since you are already specialized in second year, I found that the courses I am taking now are the stuffs that interest me. My upper year friends also told me, although the material itself is getting harder, the assignment loads are less