MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi all! 1st Year Health Sciences Sunny_GL2UA! Introduce Yourself 5 07-05-2010 09:29 PM
Health Sci Year 1 Electives LivLucy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 06-22-2010 01:10 PM
Minorities to rise significantly by 2031 jo87 General Discussion 98 03-16-2010 03:40 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
Health Science Year 1 Timetables TLulu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-15-2009 05:01 PM

Does Second Year Health Sci Get Significantly Harder?

Old 01-09-2011 at 03:37 PM   #1
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

Does Second Year Health Sci Get Significantly Harder?
I've heard from upper years that although first-year in health science is fairly laid back, it becomes significantly harder in the second and third year (i.e. use of textbooks, more midterms, exams, more structured inquiry class). Can someone comment on whether or not this is true? and whether or not your schedule does become much more hectic?
Old 01-09-2011 at 03:42 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmp1234 View Post
I've heard from upper years that although first-year in health science is fairly laid back, it becomes significantly harder in the second and third year (i.e. use of textbooks, more midterms, exams, more structured inquiry class). Can someone comment on whether or not this is true? and whether or not your schedule does become much more hectic?
its still nothing like second year life sciences and engineering ...

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

karna likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 03:46 PM   #3
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
I don't think you can put life sciences in the same difficulty bracket as engineering. Both require less thought than hard work, perhaps, but engineering seems to require a lot more work than life sciences does.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 03:51 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

so far it requires alot of both -_-"
Old 01-09-2011 at 03:52 PM   #5
aani

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
I don't think you, or anyone, can make this comment without having studied in all 3 programs...which I'm pretty sure you haven't.

And to the OP, are you in the program? Or are you asking out of curiosity?
Old 01-09-2011 at 03:53 PM   #6
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I don't think you can put life sciences in the same difficulty bracket as engineering. Both require less thought than hard work, perhaps, but engineering seems to require a lot more work than life sciences does.
I never said that life sciences and engineers are equally difficult. life sciences requires 30 units each year while engineers require 37 units. I know and its a lot harder. But Health Sciences students don't do as much work work as both engineers and life sciences. All they have is inquiry this inquiry that group projects and all that jazz.

Old 01-09-2011 at 03:58 PM   #7
aani

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
I never said that life sciences and engineers are equally difficult. life sciences requires 30 units each year while engineers require 37 units. I know and its a lot harder. But Health Sciences students don't do as much work work as both engineers and life sciences. All they have is inquiry this inquiry that group projects and all that jazz.
Are you in second year Health Sciences?

I don't think so....so please refrain from making comments about it. I don't go around making judgments about your program, so I do not understand the need for you to go around and create an issue when you've never experienced the program in its entirety yourself.

Sorry if I seem rude, but it's really annoying that everyone has something to say about the Health Sciences program without having been a student in it.

The OP asked a question about its difficulty, yes it does get harder but it's do-able...as everything else is . He/she did not ask for a comparison to other programs, so let's not get a comparison started.

etoilex3, hyvaa like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 04:03 PM   #8
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Short answer is yes.
But so far I'm enjoying this year way more. Much harder, but much better. imo.

Old 01-09-2011 at 04:04 PM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Harder, yes; significantly, no. You can also mitigate the difficulty by taking easy electives. Second year isn't particularly difficult apart from Anatomy (and even that isn't too bad), you should be able to get through second year without too much difficulty as long as you don't take Orgo as your elective(since Orgo + Anatomy all year long can be killer).
Old 01-09-2011 at 04:06 PM   #10
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post
I don't think you, or anyone, can make this comment without having studied in all 3 programs...which I'm pretty sure you haven't.

And to the OP, are you in the program? Or are you asking out of curiosity?
yes, im in the program.
Old 01-09-2011 at 04:07 PM   #11
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aani View Post
Are you in second year Health Sciences?

I don't think so....so please refrain from making comments about it. I don't go around making judgments about your program, so I do not understand the need for you to go around and create an issue when you've never experienced the program in its entirety yourself.

Sorry if I seem rude, but it's really annoying that everyone has something to say about the Health Sciences program without having been a student in it.

The OP asked a question about its difficulty, yes it does get harder but it's do-able...as everything else is . He/she did not ask for a comparison to other programs, so let's not get a comparison started.
Of course, aani oh my bad I am so out of line. You are right how can I know, its not like I have any friends in the program who don't do sh*t and get really high grades, yeah you are right how can I know ??

So yeah OP it does get harder, but its do-able of course its its not like you are inventing or engineering a new device.

Hope that helps

Oh and good luck

Old 01-09-2011 at 05:24 PM   #12
Chandlerowns

Liked: 67 Times

Life Science courses are in no way harder then health science ones. I took psychology and chemistry first semester and did on average 5-10% better, and did half as much work as my health science courses. Anyone can say 'oh I have friends who do no work and get high marks', that one probably made up or misunderstood example cannot be generally used. Especially since most health science courses aren't open to other faculties, how can you comment at all? I find it unfortunate that health science students can't get the same respect on these forums that other students do.
Old 01-09-2011 at 05:31 PM   #13
fred

Liked: 19 Times

lol program bashing

i'm pretty sure every program gets harder in second year, probably because thats when you actually start to learn new content

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 05:35 PM   #14
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

if by harder you mean professors don't tell you exactly what paragraphs to study for tests anymore then I guess it is LOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO NDON

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-09-2011 at 05:39 PM.

L'Étoile, Mahratta, SandraM like this.
Old 01-09-2011 at 05:36 PM   #15
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Health Sci =

You should be fine.

dedust says thanks to Rakim for this post.