MacInsiders Logo

Minorities to rise significantly by 2031

Old 03-09-2010 at 04:05 PM   #1
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Minorities to rise significantly by 2031
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...-minority.html

This kinda a reminded me of the culture discussion we had on here. What do you guys think about this, especially considering we are all kinda inheriting the future?
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:12 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

As far as I know Canada needs immigration for the population to grow so its fine by me. If people want to come live here that's their prerogative, assuming they go about it properly (that is to say legally).
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:14 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Don't see why it matters. A color is a color. Not like us white folk are populating this country.

I'll predict some sort of shift will happen though: white man will be on the receiving end of discrimination soon enough. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-09-2010 at 04:20 PM   #4
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

I can't see how this could have any significant effect on anything.
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:36 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
I think it really depends on if immigration will be expanding into other areas of Canada.

I don't think anyone who lives in any of the major centers would really notice anything. If however a lot of immigrants started moving to places without a lot of immigrants people there might start to see changes that we might have seen here probably 10 + years ago.

Again though, nothing significant.

By changes I just meant stuff that's common place in lots of areas already. ie if a lot of immigrants from a certain Country or area of the world start to populate your area you would see a lot of stores that cater to their needs (food etc).
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:37 PM   #6
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
having 30% of the population born in another country has to have some effect, don't ask me what though.
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:39 PM   #7
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
white man will be on the receiving end of discrimination soon enough. XD
White people are already discriminated against all the time, simply because people are too worried about pleasing minorities.

A true end to racism would mean nobody thought about race or culture at all.
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:49 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
White people are already discriminated against all the time, simply because people are too worried about pleasing minorities.

A true end to racism would mean nobody thought about race or culture at all.
ik that, i meant more so than usual. xD

or maybe white people will be the ones in all the anti-discriminatory laws. olol.

everyone should just be forced to permanently color their skins striped with all the colors of all the ppl in the world. problem solved.

Taunton likes this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:51 PM   #9
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I think my biggest concern is that they are letting immigrants settle in the big cities, why not expand that and have them fill out other areas of Canada. Im curious to see how immigration will impact Canadians over the years tho. Employers can already discriminate against you if you are white, I think people are going to get resentful over the years but I hope theres no serious conflict between different groups.
Old 03-09-2010 at 04:54 PM   #10
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I think people are going to get resentful over the years but I hope theres no serious conflict between different groups.
I think people are going to get resentful too. When the Federal government came to Mac to present potential jobs to graduates, they had fun explaining their policy of putting people from minority cultures, native people, women and disabled people before white men.

It's just as wrong to discriminate against white men as it is to discriminate based on other races or genders!

Old 03-09-2010 at 04:56 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
I think my biggest concern is that they are letting immigrants settle in the big cities, why not expand that and have them fill out other areas of Canada. Im curious to see how immigration will impact Canadians over the years tho. Employers can already discriminate against you if you are white, I think people are going to get resentful over the years but I hope theres no serious conflict between different groups.

Section 6 of the charter.

How could the government make ppl live somewhere they don't wanna?

It makes sense. What kind of family from Sri Lanka or whatever would move to Bowmanville? XDD

Old 03-09-2010 at 04:57 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
I think people are going to get resentful too. When the Federal government came to Mac to present potential jobs to graduates, they had fun explaining their policy of putting people from minority cultures, native people, women and disabled people before white men.

It's just as wrong to discriminate against white men as it is to discriminate based on other races or genders!
This is the only circumstance where I've ever said that America is actually ahead of Canada in something.

Old 03-09-2010 at 04:59 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:

True, but the federal government has a history of discriminating against a lot of those groups you've mentioned (and in some cases ongoing discrimination).
Old 03-09-2010 at 05:03 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
True, but the federal government has a history of discriminating against a lot of those groups you've mentioned (and in some cases ongoing discrimination).
You can't change the past. Not discriminating against them now doesn't change what happened in the past. I understand that they're trying to right their wrongs, but how the heck is discriminating against white men who had NOTHING TO DO with what the govt was doing in the past fair?

By your logic, 50 years from now, the govt will realize that "oh my, look at that, we've been discriminating against white people for the past 50 years" and then we'll be back to square 1.

Maegs, sew12, Taunton like this.
Old 03-09-2010 at 05:03 PM   #15
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
It's really quite simple.

Two wrongs don't make a right. A potential candidate should be considered based on their abilities, not on their colour, age, gender, or if they're disabled or not. End of story.

I couldn't care less what has happened in the past; by correcting actions and behaviours now and sticking by it, everything can be corrected with time.