MacInsiders Logo

Minorities to rise significantly by 2031

Old 03-09-2010 at 10:51 PM   #46
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Can you please elaborate on how you came up with that statistic that is ~factual?
I never knew one could judge ones credentials/chances for getting a job and somehow also be aware of the internal process that goes behind hiring.
I didn't say it was factual, I said I was 99.9% sure. Obviously I can't be 100% sure what went on during the hiring process but there was an awfully suspicious line of questioning in the interview, among other factors. I don't think it was racist on the part of those who made the decision I just think they wanted a minority to fill the position.

I won't elaborate further, that's just how I felt about a particular job I was interviewed for.
Old 03-09-2010 at 11:17 PM   #47
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I'd like to address something that I don't think anyone else has thought of. By the time 2031 rolls around, the number of people in Canada who will be biracial (or of more than two ethnicities, even) will have been raised significantly.

Certainly the people in our position twenty-one years from now (i.e. those under the age of two in the present) will occupy a much different ethnic dynamic during that time, since intra-cultural relationships have become progressively more and more commonplace.

Tons of people I know are in intra-cultural relationships now, and I can't imagine there being a huge shift from us to those only a couple years older than us right now.

So, what is "visible minority"going to mean then in comparison to now?

Another thing that is being overlooked in the article is the fact that the Indigenous population in Canada is the highest growing demographic in Canada right now...the article is only referring to immigration, which I find sort of weird.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

huzaifa47 likes this.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:36 AM   #48
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

I think that there is only one way to end this...

RACE WAR

-no but seriously... if there gonna let people immigrate here, they should atleast speak English well. That to me is a problem on its own.
Old 03-10-2010 at 12:46 AM   #49
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

they do, the canadian immigration process is rather rigourous. Individuals need to be able to communicate somewhat in english, they also need to have a certain amount of liquid assets, i believe in the 400 000 range. I also hate how some posters above are placing conditions of assimilations. Distinctiveness is what makes us unique as a society and it should be promoted. Assimilation would promote the idea of a New World Order.
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:25 AM   #50
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsumz View Post
I think that there is only one way to end this...

RACE WAR

-no but seriously... if there gonna let people immigrate here, they should atleast speak English well. That to me is a problem on its own.
First of all, there are pretty hard rules and regulations that you have to pass before immigrating here. It's not like you pick up your briefcase and take the first flight to Canada. You gotta pass ILETS and several other exams. They make sure that your meet all the criteria on point system. They pick out the cream and bring it to Canada to stabilize our economy. Almost all of the immigrants who immigrate to Canada are well educated and best in their fields. However, they still don't get the suitable jobs because they don't have Canadian degree. And I see a debate going on here over whites being discriminated?

neila.b says thanks to mcmastergcdb for this post.
Old 03-10-2010 at 01:27 AM   #51
Shanel

Liked: 150 Times

Indeed, it's a pain in the ass to immigrate to a first world country in general. I believe I've mentioned it before but it took my parents about 5 or 6 years to go through the whole process. It was expensive too. My parents both went to high school but before they could get good jobs both of them still had to go back to school for the equivalent of a high school diploma (!). It makes me feel bad for the PhDs we have out there working in factories and driving taxi cabs.

As for assimilation, I don't see any pressing need to encourage it. Preference is given to families to immigrate so a lot of immigrants will come here with their families. Even if the older generation wants to cling to their ways the younger ones will likely adopt more "Canadian" cultural values.
Old 03-10-2010 at 02:26 AM   #52
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Indeed. I know one person who was qualified as a doctor in Romania, but decided against practising in Canada because of all the bureaucracy. He now owns a shipping company, good for him and all, but it seems like such a waste.

Ideally we would open immigration to absolutely anyone who wanted to be a citizen, regardless of wealth or education. Often people come to somewhere like Canada to improve their lives, only letting already successful people in denies others the chance to become successful.
Old 03-10-2010 at 06:31 AM   #53
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
As for assimilation, I don't see any pressing need to encourage it. Preference is given to families to immigrate so a lot of immigrants will come here with their families. Even if the older generation wants to cling to their ways the younger ones will likely adopt more "Canadian" cultural values.
I just want to say that by assimilation, i don't mean it in the pejorative sense; acceptance of the values that we find positive as Canadians: womans rights, tolerance for the LGBT, respect for other cultures/traditions/religions and learning to speak english. When theres a high immigration rate of a particular type of people, there can be a tendancy to create mini-pockets of their own cultural communities and can become very isolationist, but generally younger people beat tradition.
Old 03-10-2010 at 06:34 AM   #54
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanel View Post
That is true, but it's still possible to get very cultural bubbles in some regions where a lot of people from a particular background regions immigrate to. I've personally noticed it for Italian, Asian, and Caribbean communities. You are right about many of the younger generation breaking out of the bubble, but the cultural bubbles do still persist with the help of the young people that don't break out of them along with a constant stream of new immigrants to sustain them. I'm not really sure if they're positive or negative things, especially for the older generation, since it may make them more comfortable when they move to Canada, but it makes dealing with Canadians extremely difficult when they do have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Indeed. I know one person who was qualified as a doctor in Romania, but decided against practising in Canada because of all the bureaucracy. He now owns a shipping company, good for him and all, but it seems like such a waste.
The major issue behind the education thing is a lack of standardization. Everyone from Ontario is working with the same standards for highschool education, yet you still see differing (sometimes wildly so) results from school to school. If you start taking into consideration out of province schools that may have the same general mandates, but slightly different curricula, you quickly find an even larger range of school qualities. International schools can be an even bigger mixed bag. Controlling for quality of education, content of education, and corruption (people buy degrees/bribing teachers/schools for marks) becomes impossible on a global scale.

It's a shame when someone with a PhD from somewhere else in the world cannot practice here, but a PhD from country X is not necessarily the same as a PhD here. My real issue is that the government doesn't fund some sort of standardized tests to allow people who really do have the level of education we require to be recognized here, it makes no sense for a trained MD with years of experience and an education good enough to be considered the same as ours to be driving a taxi when our country is in dire need of practicing physicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
Ideally we would open immigration to absolutely anyone who wanted to be a citizen, regardless of wealth or education. Often people come to somewhere like Canada to improve their lives, only letting already successful people in denies others the chance to become successful.
The level of immigration our country can logically sustain while maintaining a good first world economy is considerably lower than the level of immigration we would have if we had an open immigration policy. The easiest way for the government to lower the level of immigration is to raise the bar and only accept people above a certain level. The idea that it's only hugely successful people isn't fully correct, the government is essentially looking for people that are not a potential weight on society. This includes successful families/individuals, individuals with decently successful family already living here willing to help them out, international students who were educated here and have found jobs/careers, etc. What the government really wants to prevent is person X coming over here, finding out that maybe his skills/degree do not transfer here, working a low paying job, and possibly ending up on welfare if any sort of injury or if a child came into the picture. It's an unfortunate situation for people looking for a better life in this country that don't fit the profile Canada is looking for, and it definitely does increase illegal immigration, but I really can't think of a significantly more efficient way to allow immigration.
Old 03-10-2010 at 06:44 AM   #55
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
they do, the canadian immigration process is rather rigourous. Individuals need to be able to communicate somewhat in english, they also need to have a certain amount of liquid assets, i believe in the 400 000 range. I also hate how some posters above are placing conditions of assimilations. Distinctiveness is what makes us unique as a society and it should be promoted. Assimilation would promote the idea of a New World Order.
True but not True at the same time. To my recollection there are two types of main immigration categories, first are the Professional class whereby the husband/wife/kids receive "points" based on their qualifications and IELTS scores and so on. The second collection however is family class, refugees(who aren't really refugees, atleast some of the cases I know) but more prominently the "Investor/Entrepreneur" class that have much less stringent educational/English requirements but are required to have $120,000(It might be more right now) in liquid assets they are willing to invest in Canada. The former usually don't have alot of issues assimilating into Canada, it is the latter two that have a harder time for obvious reasons.

Now at this point I wanted to go into a Sociological analysis of "Why" I think the latter two have a harder time assimilating but some people here will just rip on me for that so I won't

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 03-10-2010
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-10-2010
huzaifa47
Old 03-10-2010
lawleypop
Old 03-10-2010
huzaifa47
Old 03-10-2010
lawleypop