MacInsiders Logo

Minorities to rise significantly by 2031

Old 03-11-2010 at 09:15 AM   #76
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree_21 View Post

When i was in my teens i used to think people should leave their culture behind, not wear their hijabs b/c now they're in canada. Now i just realize i'm jealous of the culture these people have, I have no religion and the only culture i have is wearing expensive clothes, dying my hair blonde, and celebrating Christmas/birthdays/Easter.

I think you are confusing the definition of "culture" with "traditional clothing, fashion and symbolic holidays" lol
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:59 AM   #77
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

no i'm saying traditional clothing, fashion, and symbolic holidays are the only culture i have and in the forms i stated above ^^^ .... aren't traditional clothing and symbolic holidays apart of culture...... ????? what are you talking about?????
Old 03-11-2010 at 05:56 PM   #78
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
I think you are confusing the definition of "culture" with "traditional clothing, fashion and symbolic holidays" lol
Culture incorporates various things, including language, music, norms and clothing/fashion.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-13-2010 at 06:55 AM   #79
thatdudeukno

LOL
Old 03-13-2010 at 08:24 AM   #80
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

just sometimes people see another culture do some traditional dance and wear a special hat, and not eat for a few hours and then say "Ugh us white people don't have any culture!!"
Old 03-13-2010 at 10:14 AM   #81
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
just sometimes people see another culture do some traditional dance and wear a special hat, and not eat for a few hours and then say "Ugh us white people don't have any culture!!"
There are tons of 'white' cultures...sometimes people don't really see the differences. For example, France is different than Italy which is different than Canada which is different from Germany which is different than Australia.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-13-2010 at 12:04 PM   #82
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

^^^ exactly

and you deffinitly didn't understand my post because my point was that i don't describe myself as "white" because "white" incorporates many cultures and religions.. I was referring to myself as a Canadian born citizen.... I don't even understand what you're trying to say in your post....??!?
Old 03-13-2010 at 12:08 PM   #83
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree_21 View Post
^^^ exactly

and you deffinitly didn't understand my post because my point was that i don't describe myself as "white" because "white" incorporates many cultures and religions.. I was referring to myself as a Canadian born citizen.... I don't even understand what you're trying to say in your post....??!?
If you refer to yourself as a Canadian born citizen, then we have plenty of culture. XD

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-13-2010 at 12:50 PM   #84
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
If you refer to yourself as a Canadian born citizen, then we have plenty of culture. XD

But I think the problem is that we don't see it as much as we see it in other groups. Even on campus there tends to be this domination of other cultures, it's really strange. It would be nice to have more Canada and the history etc, not just focus on how multi-cultural Canada is because I think that is kinda destroying Canadian identity. If Canadian identity becomes multi culture then Canada loses its history. I don't know if that made any sense, but it's just what I've noticed. We need more Canada on campusss we are in Canada after all. And no, having white people on campus does not equal cultural representation of Canada.
Old 03-13-2010 at 12:53 PM   #85
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
But I think the problem is that we don't see it as much as we see it in other groups. Even on campus there tends to be this domination of other cultures, it's really strange. It would be nice to have more Canada and the history etc, not just focus on how multi-cultural Canada is because I think that is kinda destroying Canadian identity. If Canadian identity becomes multi culture then Canada loses its history. I don't know if that made any sense, but it's just what I've noticed. We need more Canada on campusss we are in Canada after all. And no, having white people on campus does not equal cultural representation of Canada.
Oh, I agree completely. But I just felt like Bree made it seem like/thought that being Canadian just meant dying your hair blonde and wearing fancy clothes.

In fact, I think I'm gonna start a thread.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-13-2010 at 01:12 PM   #86
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Oh, I agree completely. But I just felt like Bree made it seem like/thought that being Canadian just meant dying your hair blonde and wearing fancy clothes.

In fact, I think I'm gonna start a thread.

Sadly I think that's what lot of non Canadians think that and it really isn't fair. I think the problem largely stems from recent immigrants still holding on to their culture and instead of immercing themselves into Canada they kinda find ways to stick together and stay within their immediate circle. But that isn't their fault, Canada is really trying to live up to this reputation that we are a cultural mosaic, which in the long run will not work because Canada will= the country where all the different cultures are. By 2031, Toronto will be renamed something else to fit it's population and I wouldn't be surprised. I have taken some classes where bascially they were trying to tell me white people are the problem and reason for other peoples misfortunes. Well not really, it isnt our fault that 100 years ago some old white guy created racist policies. That kinda stuff doesn't belong in the classroom, it does this weird thing where it creates victims of minorities and makes white people feel guilty.
I think Im going off topic now, but anyways I think education, and politics are paving the way for white people to basically change. By 2031, our parents will mostly have died, so I think they are trying to kinda make our generation open to other cultures and accept them so we don't have even more hate and racism later on.
Old 03-13-2010 at 01:19 PM   #87
jo87
Elite Member

So I went on the MSU clubs page to see what culture clubs they have, here are some examples:
Canadian Asian Student Society (CASS)
McMaster Academia of Korean-Canadians (MAKC)
South Asian Alliance at McMaster
Pakistan Students Association (PSA)
McMaster Organization of Latin American Students
Old 03-13-2010 at 01:42 PM   #88
jessidotca

Liked: 0 Times

Going back to the original post...
Going back to the original post... I found another article
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...2-a09f9fe13bc1

This talks about the increasing population of minorities by 2031, but also discusses the introduction of bill C-428. This bill would basically mean that new immigrants can apply for the Old Age Security pension after just 3 years instead of the current 10 years.
This mean that people will be able to migrate to Canada at age 62 and receive a pension 3 years later.

This bill was "introduced last year by Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla, whose Brampton riding in Ontario has a large South Asian population."

I'm curious to know what people's opinions are on this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:04 PM   #89
jo87
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessidotca View Post
Going back to the original post... I found another article
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...2-a09f9fe13bc1

This talks about the increasing population of minorities by 2031, but also discusses the introduction of bill C-428. This bill would basically mean that new immigrants can apply for the Old Age Security pension after just 3 years instead of the current 10 years.
This mean that people will be able to migrate to Canada at age 62 and receive a pension 3 years later.

This bill was "introduced last year by Liberal MP Ruby Dhalla, whose Brampton riding in Ontario has a large South Asian population."

I'm curious to know what people's opinions are on this.

So basically, they will let people in the country and then support them because they might become homeless...ummm has anyone been to downtown Toronto? It's full of homeless people who need help. Shouldn't we help them first? If someone is 62, why do they need to migrate to Canada anyways, that shouldn't even be allowed because they can in no way contribute to Canada other than taking money and I better not be paying taxes in the future for crazy things like this.

Actually anyone over 45 should not be allowed into the country.
Old 03-13-2010 at 02:25 PM   #90
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
By 2031, Toronto will be renamed something else to fit it's population and I wouldn't be surprised.
I highly doubt that. Richmond BC is practically a remote base station of China, and it's still called richmond.

---

Unrelated to the above, on the topic of people complaining that employers are 'racist' towards males of the white persuasion, I suggest you watch this video. I lol'd.

lawleypop, Tailsnake like this.