MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations? Kathy2 Presidentials 2010 47 02-06-2010 07:39 PM
how tough is natural disasters nowadays? pk00 Academics 4 12-16-2008 10:29 PM
Where do I drop a course? georgeb.1990 Academics 5 11-05-2008 03:14 PM
Last day to drop? shleyaa Academics 1 08-13-2008 07:33 PM

Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out?

Old 01-18-2010 at 08:39 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out?
Long story short: I'm graduating this term and I really don't want to have to take any courses in the summer. I took a third year course that looked interesting and fun, but now that I'm getting into the course I'm noticing it is a lot harder than it seemed. There is A LOT to do with commerce/math which I'm horrible at. There were no prerequisites and the course description and outline said nothing about the amount of math in the course.

It's too late to add a new course, so if I drop it, I won't have enough credits to graduate.

Anyone have any suggestions? I think I might do okay, but I also think there is a chance I might do pretty badly (and even fail). I really, really want to graduate this Spring. I'm not sure what to do.
Old 01-18-2010 at 08:42 PM   #2
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

What course is it?
Old 01-18-2010 at 08:50 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I have a course right now that is out of my field (science) and I am finding it hard ...it is a soc sci course ...I just ask the prof alot of questions at the end of class at every class. And i spend alot of time reading the text/my notes until I understand things
Old 01-18-2010 at 08:52 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Is it possible to get a tutor that might help you out with the more difficult concepts? If you feel that it just requires an immense amount of effort but is doable, that may be an option worth considering.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 01-18-2010 at 08:59 PM   #5
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

I would stick with the course. If you work hard, you might end up doing pretty well. If you are really having trouble with the course, I would recommend going in to talk with the professor and taking advantage of the TA’s. You could also get a tutor. If you work hard now, you will be able to graduate sooner. Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2010 at 01:56 AM   #6
MD-L
2011-2012 MSU President

Liked: 201 Times

Just to give you a heads up, sometimes if you find a course that you want to be in and its not full, and you talk to the prof and convince them that you have been attending...and then talk to the advisor for your faculty (wow this is much more multi stepped than I thought) then they will let you join.
Old 01-19-2010 at 10:56 AM   #7
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

this isn't at the course topic it all...

gahahahahahhahahahaha hahahahahhhahahah LOOK WHO JOINED MACINSIDERS AHAHAHHA
Old 01-19-2010 at 05:32 PM   #8
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I felt the same way you did last term with my Greek course. I was worried going in to the midterm about my mark. Then I failed the mid term and just about shit myself. I was gonna drop it. I talked to family and friends about it. In the end I stuck it out, and despite that failing midterm I finished with a C-. granted, that's not the best mark, but a little effort turned my 0 at midterm into a 4 by December.

Stick it out and bust your ass. good things will happen.
Old 01-19-2010 at 06:31 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

YOU CAN DO IT!

Often times that's all you need to hear...we get stuck in these ruts where we've convinced ourself that we're incapable...but it's a course, and remember it's designed to teach you stuff! You're not supposed to walk in as an expert...A course in a foreign area may just be the best opportunity you have to learn something new. (:

manu says thanks to Mowicz for this post.
Old 01-19-2010 at 07:36 PM   #10
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
YOU CAN DO IT!

Often times that's all you need to hear...we get stuck in these ruts where we've convinced ourself that we're incapable...but it's a course, and remember it's designed to teach you stuff! You're not supposed to walk in as an expert...A course in a foreign area may just be the best opportunity you have to learn something new. (:
Inspirational, as always.
lmao.

so is Reeves!

Old 01-19-2010 at 08:10 PM   #11
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

You still haven't told us what the course is... someone may be able to point you in the direction of assistance if you let us know.
Old 01-20-2010 at 01:24 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

The course is either Geog or Environmental Science. Sorry, I don't remember the course code and I don't have my notebook on me.

Thanks for the helpful words guys! I think I will stick it out, and maybe get a tutor if I need to. I'm just worried because most of the mark is based on tests/midterm/exam, instead of projects/assignments. But I'm going to try my best! Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2010 at 01:07 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'm just worried because most of the mark is based on tests/midterm/exam, instead of projects/assignments. But I'm going to try my best! Thanks again.
I can understand why you feel this way...test situations are associated with lots of pressure, and it's easy to feel like you're doomed to 'choke' on a test and get a bad grade.

But the other side of the coin is, these are very concrete forms of evaluation! It's more likely that with some hard work you can score in the 80, or 90+ brackets, than in a course with lots of 'smaller' forms of evaluation, or subjective types of evaluation (ie. lots of essays).

Just try your best...make sure you use all resources you have to their fullest (in particular, any practice tests or assignment problems). If you do make some mistakes on the test, it's not the end of the world. (: