MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City pulls McMaster polling station lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-15-2010 09:10 PM
Inlet Sound Live at the Casbah! michaelwexl MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-23-2010 03:06 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
Unite For Sight McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-19-2009 12:40 PM

I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations?

Old 02-04-2010 at 02:44 PM   #1
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations?
I definately could hear someone yelling campaign stuff in MUSC today when I was near the polling station. I went to see who it was but there was lots of people around (Mary, Khan and Park, maybe others) so I don't know who it was. Isn't that against the rules?
Old 02-04-2010 at 02:45 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

You are correct, it is against the rules to campaign near polling stations.
Old 02-04-2010 at 02:54 PM   #3
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Could they get DQ'd from the election?
Old 02-04-2010 at 03:00 PM   #4
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

That is up to the Elections Committee to decide. It really depends on how serious the violation is. If you have a complaint to make though, submit it to the Elections Committee.
Old 02-04-2010 at 03:01 PM   #5
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

You can pick up a complaint form from the MSU office and submit a complaint about it.
Old 02-04-2010 at 03:21 PM   #6
Kathy2
Elite Member

Did anyone else hear? One of my friends said a guy was standing ontop of the garbage container by La Piazza (behind the food cart beside Tim Hortons) and yelling. I don't know who it was though.
Old 02-04-2010 at 04:02 PM   #7
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

I agree with the above post, go to the MSU office and file an election complaint. I heard Asfand shouting in the student centre, but I was near Timmies so I can't say if it was audible at the polling station, but it is definitely a violation.
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:01 PM   #8
Erika0909

Liked: 0 Times

I was in the student center from 1:30 - 2:30 and it was chaotic. Everyone was just running around, banging drums, holding signs, passing out cards, etc. saying to vote for so and so.
This was all around La Piazza and then around the Compass area.
Old 02-04-2010 at 05:09 PM   #9
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

If it was as bad as people are making is sound, then I'm sure a complaint has been filed and we will deal with it tonight.
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:00 PM   #10
Kathy2
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika0909 View Post
I was in the student center from 1:30 - 2:30 and it was chaotic. Everyone was just running around, banging drums, holding signs, passing out cards, etc. saying to vote for so and so.
This was all around La Piazza and then around the Compass area.
Yeah, that's exactly the time I was talking about. I was standing near the doorways that lead from where the polling station was into the main area of MUSC, by the washrooms and doors that exit to the library.

I doubt someone a few foot away at the polling station from me couldn't hear it. It was ridiculous.

I think it'll be hard to tell who it was though. The first person I saw near that area was Mary and her team, they had big purple balloons, passing out paper and saying Vote for Mary. But I didn't see anyone on her team that looked like they could yell like that (I think everyone I saw was a girl, and it was definatly a guy yelling).

I'll guess we'll just wait and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:08 PM   #11
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

funny story:
Some guy asked me "do you know who you're voting for?", I said "yes" and walked away.

It's funny because I'm not voting for anyone.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks it funny
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:11 PM   #12
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Oh snap, so someone encountered the notorious FireDragoonX? Reveal to us his identity!
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:50 PM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

MUSC was crazy today with everyone's campaign teams and certain campaign teams were definitely close to the Mills polling station. There is a polling station in MUSC though and those who were near compass could definitely be seen from the polling station near Williams pub. I saw Casey himself near to this polling station, members of that campaign team and members of Kieran's team were also near this, as were members of Tauseef's team. Whether or not the latter were within sight of the polling station near Mills I'm not positive.

The worst thing I encountered though was Casey's team harassing people on their way out of Commons. There is a polling station directly below the Commons exit so I found this to be extremely off putting. They might as well have been standing right next to the polling station they were that close. I so was off put by this I told them I wasn't voting for Casey, it was probably a little excessive but I was annoyed by how close they were campaigning to a polling station.

I didn't see any visible members of Mary's team near any polling stations or in MUSC at all. Ash and his one team member I only saw out by the doors in Arts Quad, nowhere near a polling station and again, they weren't yelling or harassing people either.

On the one hand I understand that teams were really trying to get people out to the polls (someone who I think was on Tauseef's team was very happy to hear we had voted, and we hadn't even mentioned if we voted for him or not) which is understandable considering low voter turn outs. On the other hand though many of the campaign teams were aggressive and annoying today (one in particular) with harassing students in and outside of MUSC. Plus stop friggin' pamphleting, you're wasting paper. I know its done and over with for the year but there should be tighter restrictions on the amount of paper teams are allowed to waste. Those pamphlets for the most part get thrown out or tossed on the ground.
Old 02-04-2010 at 06:57 PM   #14
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

I personally am not sure if this is a violation or not, but aren't all candidates supposed to have equal representation to advertise their platform and what they represent. Im not sure if this was intentional, but macinsiders (yes here) forgot to include one presidential candidate profile (Khan, I believe it is).
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:02 PM   #15
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

No, he had/has a page. It just got very little activity compared to the other candidates.