MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
instumental radio station in Hamilton Starry Music 2 09-06-2010 07:22 PM
I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations? Kathy2 Presidentials 2010 47 02-06-2010 07:39 PM
Your City Survey finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-06-2010 11:00 AM
McMaster Weather Station JeffB Misc 7 04-26-2009 12:02 AM

City pulls McMaster polling station

Via The Spec

The city has yanked its poll from McMaster University because of voter apathy.

In the 2006 municipal elections, the city held two days of enumeration and a full day of polling on campus. Only 10 votes were cast.

But Joe Finkle, McMaster Students Union vice-president, education, is trying to change that. He’s spent months trying to drum up student interest in the municipal election and is hoping to convince the city to change its mind.

He says the city’s decision sends a message that it doesn’t care about students.

“I’m under the impression that you can’t put a price on democracy. Ten votes is still 10 votes,” he said. “It’s confirming a lot of students’ views that politics leaves them behind and doesn’t concern itself with their needs.”

But Tony Fallis, the city’s elections manager, says any poll in the city that attracted only 10 votes would be shut down. McMaster is no exception.

“Due to this obvious voter apathy it was decided to channel those resources into other election projects,” Fallis said.

Over the past several months, Finkle has lobbied election officials for an on-campus polling station. He’s also running a campus-wide campaign to advertise the election, complete with posters, postcards, and ads on coffee cup sleeves sold at the university café.

Finkle argues that McMaster students, especially first-year students who live in residences and don’t know Hamilton very well, aren’t likely to head off campus to cast their votes. However, he says he’s trying to emphasize the importance of city politics to the student body.

“We’ve been referring to municipal government as sort of like your mom. It takes care of the little things you might not think about,” he said.

Finkle is organizing a walking group on Oct. 25 to help students find their way to nearby polling stations at Binkley United Church and Dalewood Middle School. McMaster is also hosting a mayoral debate next week to help students with their decision. So far, both Mayor Fred Eisenberger and former Mayor Larry Di Ianni have targeted students in their election campaigns – Di Ianni with a policy plan aimed at retaining students after graduation and Eisenberger with a booth at frosh week.

But despite Finkle’s campaign, Fallis says it’s too late for the city to add a poll at McMaster. He says previous student governments have also tried to convince students to vote and haven’t been successful.

“To me it shows more of an apathy on the students’ part,” he said. “It certainly wasn’t a decision lightly taken.”

The city has also pulled the plug on its poll at Mohawk College. However, since Mohawk students will be on a fall reading week on election day, they won’t be affected by the city’s decision, said Kat Cullen, president of the Mohawk Students’ Association.

Fallis says the city will revisit the decision about polling stations at Mac and Mohawk for the 2014 election. However, Fallis says he’ll need to see many more than 10 students at the polls.

“We’re going to need some positive reinforcement.”

[email protected]
905-526-2452
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 10-14-2010 at 11:21 AM   #2
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Second
Residence: SOCS (formerly Bates)

Liked: 447 Times
I'm not with JFink on this one. I think the city made the right call for this one. For them to man a polling booth for only 10 votes is a waste of our tax payer dollars, and the nearest polling booth really isn't that far out of the way.

danallan likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 10-14-2010 at 05:59 PM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 360 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
I'm not with JFink on this one. I think the city made the right call for this one. For them to man a polling booth for only 10 votes is a waste of our tax payer dollars, and the nearest polling booth really isn't that far out of the way.

I respectfully disagree, the 10 vote turnout was from back in 2006. When I was still in high school and Joe was a first year student who recalls seeing almost no promotions for municipal elections.

Democracy should never have a price on it, we have a potential voter population of several thousand who can vote on campus. Given the busy midterm/essay schedule and the fact that people are at school for upto 8-9 hours means that its not likely that already disengaged people would be willing to take the bus to Binkley Church near BP.

It should be treated on a case by case basis and on potential of the large number of voters.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 10-14-2010 at 06:15 PM   #4
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I respectfully disagree, the 10 vote turnout was from back in 2006. When I was still in high school and Joe was a first year student who recalls seeing almost no promotions for municipal elections.

Democracy should never have a price on it, we have a potential voter population of several thousand who can vote on campus. Given the busy midterm/essay schedule and the fact that people are at school for upto 8-9 hours means that its not likely that already disengaged people would be willing to take the bus to Binkley Church near BP.

It should be treated on a case by case basis and on potential of the large number of voters.
10 votes is a pathetically sad number. If anyone really wants to vote they can take the bus. If you are going to argue that this discourages the 'already disengaged people' from voting I will agree, but I'll be happier for it. Do you honestly believe that these 'already disengaged people' have any basis to make an educated vote upon? That they have taken the time to know the candidates and what they represent? I personally see no difference between letting ignorant people and letting children vote, except for that we don't let children vote. This isn't something we should be playing a 'woe is me' card on. Only 10 people voted that last time. That is way less than a 1% turnout, which is just sad. This is something we brought upon ourselves for being the disconnected generation and the city made the right call to not waste its funds on us. That money can go to good use somewhere it is really needed.

Old 10-14-2010 at 07:02 PM   #5
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

There is a massive gap between disengaged people and people willing to go out of their way to walk to Main and than take the bus to BP.

We can't dismiss people as "disengaged" because they aren't willing to walk all the way, its not as black and white as that(aka either you vote or don't vote). The MSU is working on a strong promotions campaign for this time around with an on campus mayoral debate on the 19th, Question packages for all candidates and buy in from all MSU Departments, these conditions were simply not present in 2006. Nor were the demographics same, essentially its an entire new generation of students who shouldnt' be screwed over by what happened four years ago. They put polling stations in Old Homes, Why? Because a percentage of older people always come out to vote.

But its utterly flawed logic to say that one should get more student votes from an off campus polling station in order to get a polling station on campus FOUR years later when removing a polling station in the first place defeats any attempts to do so.

People are willing to learn about municipal politics and come out and vote if properly informed and engaged however it essentially comes down to "Priorities". We can attempt to get them away from a state of complete oblivious apathy...that in itself would be a big win, however we can't MAKE them prioritize voting as Monday the 25th's #1 Priority. Away from classes, away from the cold, away from the readings, midterms, essays and sheer awkward laziness of doing something different from your regular routine.

And as for your tax payer argument, I would suggest you please look at the long term spending and budgets of the Municipal Government to see how small a dent a poll station on campus is versus the results of an engaged student body; Also a 1% addition to PSE educated student body of Hamilton will add $380 Million to the annual overall income of Hamilton per year. That figure itself dwarfs any savings the city might have from not putting a station on campus and ensuring that an entire generation of McMaster Graduates do not have a connection with Hamilton. Come graduation I'm sure the council would like to see these skilled workers take the easy road down 403 towards the GTA.

Old 10-15-2010 at 07:14 AM   #6
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
And as for your tax payer argument, I would suggest you please look at the long term spending and budgets of the Municipal Government to see how small a dent a poll station on campus is versus the results of an engaged student body; Also a 1% addition to PSE educated student body of Hamilton will add $380 Million to the annual overall income of Hamilton per year. That figure itself dwarfs any savings the city might have from not putting a station on campus and ensuring that an entire generation of McMaster Graduates do not have a connection with Hamilton. Come graduation I'm sure the council would like to see these skilled workers take the easy road down 403 towards the GTA.
A dent is still a dent, an unneeded expense is unnecessary regardless of the size. And personally I think you're crazy to think that voting in the municipal election is going to translate in anyone deciding that to go into the Hamilton workforce following graduation. Noone is going to look back and think "I should go live in the GTA, but OH WAIT! I voted in the municipal election, I guess I'll live here instead then."

We are too goddamn used to having everything handed to us on a silver platter. It's only when you have that platter taken away from us that we start to, as a whole generation, give any care about what is on it. Personally I'm going to take the bus over to the polling station. It's not that far out of the way. Back home I had drive a half hour to city hall to vote, but that didn't stop me. I mean really, when you go up do they put polling stations in your place of work? Of course not! You have to go out of your way to vote. I don't see why we should get special treatment over the general population.

If we're lucky having the polling booth taken away from us will work up enough publicity to make people upset that they now have to go out of their way to vote, and they'll actually go out of their way to vote out of spite. Noone likes feeling slighted after all.

Last edited by Replekia : 10-15-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2010
lawleypop
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-15-2010 at 08:32 AM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
I was in third year then (possibly second, depending on when the election was called), and there was ZERO information on the election anywhere on campus.

I don't think it was voter apathy as much as no one knew it was happening.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

McIntyre likes this.
Old 10-15-2010 at 09:05 PM   #8
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
A dent is still a dent, an unneeded expense is unnecessary regardless of the size. And personally I think you're crazy to think that voting in the municipal election is going to translate in anyone deciding that to go into the Hamilton workforce following graduation. Noone is going to look back and think "I should go live in the GTA, but OH WAIT! I voted in the municipal election, I guess I'll live here instead then."

We are too goddamn used to having everything handed to us on a silver platter. It's only when you have that platter taken away from us that we start to, as a whole generation, give any care about what is on it. Personally I'm going to take the bus over to the polling station. It's not that far out of the way. Back home I had drive a half hour to city hall to vote, but that didn't stop me. I mean really, when you go up do they put polling stations in your place of work? Of course not! You have to go out of your way to vote. I don't see why we should get special treatment over the general population.

If we're lucky having the polling booth taken away from us will work up enough publicity to make people upset that they now have to go out of their way to vote, and they'll actually go out of their way to vote out of spite. Noone likes feeling slighted after all.
I wasn't implying that there is a direct co-relation between the two(Voting & Retention). Voting though is a good way to introduce people to the city and introduce its various elements beyond the westdale/ainslewood bubble. Maybe that way people will pay more attention to issues like Stadium Location, Gentrification, Brownfield Remediation and Urban Revitalization? In order to educate people on such issues an election is an ideal spot for candidates to engage and build engagement with the students.

The act of voting in my opinion atleast initiates a bond with the city that alot of students, and mind you it is mostly first years that will be voting at an on campus station so its extra important to start engagement with the next generation this early.

And I have alot of respect for your commitment to exercise your right to vote but unlike you as a student representative I have to think of 22,000 other undergraduates and arguably they do not have the same natural inclination to vote without efforts by groups like the MSU. Its a two way process, we have to offer them something(eg: Election Information and access to a polling station) in an appropriate manner and hope they reach out and do their part.

I think there in lies our disagreement, my opinion on this issue is based on consideration of 22,000 undergraduate students and not just myself. Sure it does cost money, but the opportunity to politically engage all these voters is priceless for the city in the long run.

Here is the report though if you would like to read: http://www.hamiltoneconomics ummit....ation-project/

Old 10-15-2010 at 09:10 PM   #9
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I was in third year then (possibly second, depending on when the election was called), and there was ZERO information on the election anywhere on campus.

I don't think it was voter apathy as much as no one knew it was happening.
Guess thats 1 reason why people dont vote. Or they just don't care.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search