MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City pulls McMaster polling station lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-15-2010 09:10 PM
Inlet Sound Live at the Casbah! michaelwexl MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-23-2010 03:06 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
Unite For Sight McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-19-2009 12:40 PM

I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations?

Old 02-04-2010 at 10:27 PM   #31
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterisgreat View Post
Who cares if people were campaigning too close to the poll stations? If you're so easily influenced that people campaigning near the polls affects your vote, you shouldn't be at this school anyways.
Unfortunately, "if you are that easily influenced, your vote shouldn't count" doesn't really work here. Some people are easily influenced/pressured when candidates are near polling stations, which is why it's against the rules.

While I'm personally not that easily influenced, I do think it's wrong to break the campaigning rules. And that's the point here. Candidates who break the rules should be disqualified.
Old 02-04-2010 at 10:52 PM   #32
Dave.Moore

Liked: Liked 3 Times

There are precedents for SRA candidates being disqualified for campaigning within sight or sound of a polling station: October 1984, March 1988, November 1990, and November 2004.

Only one presidential candidate has been disqualified (1999); however, that decision was not as a result of campaigning within sight/sound of polling stations.

Maegs says thanks to Dave.Moore for this post.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:05 PM   #33
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

The primary crazy yell was "yes we khan" , it was scary , my last name is Khan and I was scared.

KaylaG, mlangille like this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 11:12 PM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosh View Post
The primary crazy yell was "yes we khan" , it was scary , my last name is Khan and I was scared.
-creepcreepcreep-

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 02-04-2010 at 11:56 PM   #35
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo87 View Post
The candidates shouldn't act like animals, but they do. And they shouldn't sing songs to get votes, but they do. Nobody is enforcing any rules it seems. Remember the person with the most friends wins!
I guess that's the reason Harper won the past two elections?
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:11 AM   #36
myInteger

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Who cares if people were campaigning too close to the poll stations? If you're so easily influenced that people campaigning near the polls affects your vote, you shouldn't be at this school anyways.
Woah. that was quite igorant comment you made, then you go on to say they shouldn't even be at this school. No where are the candidates allowed to come to the polls when people are voting.. atleast not in democratic election process.
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:28 AM   #37
KayakerDan

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myInteger View Post
Woah. that was quite igorant comment you made, then you go on to say they shouldn't even be at this school. No where are the candidates allowed to come to the polls when people are voting.. atleast not in democratic election process.
I agree with this. You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old 02-05-2010 at 10:19 AM   #38
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
funny story:
Some guy asked me "do you know who you're voting for?", I said "yes" and walked away.

It's funny because I'm not voting for anyone.

maybe I'm the only one who thinks it funny
ha HA!

Quote:
Uh...

Old 02-05-2010 at 11:53 AM   #39
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.Moore View Post
There are precedents for SRA candidates being disqualified for campaigning within sight or sound of a polling station: October 1984, March 1988, November 1990, and November 2004.

Only one presidential candidate has been disqualified (1999); however, that decision was not as a result of campaigning within sight/sound of polling stations.
I thought someone was disqualified for being near the polls a few years ago? Maybe it wasn't for MSU President though.

I don't know, but I remember something like that.
Old 02-05-2010 at 11:55 AM   #40
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I thought someone was disqualified for being near the polls a few years ago? Maybe it wasn't for MSU President though.

I don't know, but I remember something like that.
I think there was a lot of controversy about 2 years around (when Azim was elected) surrounding the election results. There were recounts and I think Joel was disqualified and undisqaulified or something, but I don't remember what the alleged violations actually were against him. That election was 10 kinds of messed up though.
Old 02-05-2010 at 11:56 AM   #41
Nosh

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I think there was a lot of controversy about 2 years around (when Azim was elected) surrounding the election results. There were recounts and I think Joel was disqualified and undisqaulified or something, but I don't remember what the alleged violations actually were against him. That election was 10 kinds of messed up though.
I think a big thing they did wrong was that his supporters threatened people , correct me if I'm wrong ? I've heard this a lot though .
Old 02-05-2010 at 12:40 PM   #42
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

There's a list online of all the violations, and I'm pretty sure they all ended up being tossed out. It didn't seem like any of them were too serious, but I can't recall all of them now.

I know one was that he used an iPod to play music during his class speeches, but didn't claim it on his budget report, and another was that a stack of posters was left somewhere in the MUSC (I think the issue there involved them being left near a voting station).

I don't think supporters threatening people came up in that meeting, but it might have been an alleged thing that wasn't formally brought up.

EDIT: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/content/d...Mar_7_08. pdf
Found it again :p

Last edited by Marlowe : 02-05-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Nosh says thanks to Marlowe for this post.

Bree_21 likes this.
Old 02-05-2010 at 02:05 PM   #43
Bree_21

Liked: 10 Times

As much as people say people should be getting in trouble for this, it seems like everyyyy party (maybe not the canidates themself though) were involved somhow, hopefully next year they make sure everyone follows regulations much better
Old 02-06-2010 at 12:24 PM   #44
sexyeng87

Liked: 0 Times

Sorry. I'm in engineering and am only taught how to drink and party.
Old 02-06-2010 at 07:21 PM   #45
samd

Liked: 22 Times

Is it possible to move the MUSC polling station to somewhere else altogether? Then maybe we could confine all the candidates to MUSC on voting day.