MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City pulls McMaster polling station lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 10-15-2010 09:10 PM
Inlet Sound Live at the Casbah! michaelwexl MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-23-2010 03:06 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
Unite For Sight McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-19-2009 12:40 PM

I thought MSU candidates couldn't campaign within sight or sound of polling stations?

Old 02-04-2010 at 07:04 PM   #16
Stan

Liked: 10 Times

opps my mistake then. By the way the person, that was shouting was definitely Asfand then, I was heading from one polling station to another to and happen to cross the MUSC atrium at that particular time.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:19 PM   #17
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
opps my mistake then. By the way the person, that was shouting was definitely Asfand then, I was heading from one polling station to another to and happen to cross the MUSC atrium at that particular time.
Who are you talking about?

Last edited by sew12 : 02-04-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:25 PM   #18
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times

nah he means one of Mary's team members. If one candidate is going to get ripped for this violation they all should. Near the end it just got nuts, I felt really sorry for anyone that was walking through MUSC, near compass and timmy's lol. I did enjoy the Mac cheers at the end though.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:31 PM   #19
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
nah he means one of Mary's team members. If one candidate is going to get ripped for this violation they all should. Near the end it just got nuts, I felt really sorry for anyone that was walking through MUSC, near compass and timmy's lol. I did enjoy the Mac cheers at the end though.
Thanks for clarification.

It really depends which candidates were within sight and/or sound of the polling station by Williams. At least 4 teams were inside MUSC, and 1 was outside in the Quad (therefore not near the polling station) but given that they know the rules its possible that the teams and candidates were just far enough away from the polling station that they could not be seen and/or heard from it, but its hard to say. I know I specifically saw 3 teams near Compass which in theory would be within sight of that polling station. Also as mentioned members of Casey's team were really close to the polling station in Commons but I guess since Commons is upstairs and the polling station is downstairs and they weren't being overly loud then they were not technically within sight or sound of that polling station either, too close imo, but not technically if those are the rules.

It was crazy in MUSC though so I imagine any complaints filed would be difficult to verify. Also teams would be crazy to complain about other teams since they were all pretty much within the same vicinity and I would imagine in general that is where most complaints about violations come from.

Next year I think they should not allow campaigning on the polling days or at the very least not allow the type of campaigning that was going on in MUSC today on the polling days.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:33 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I agree that the student centre was a little crazy today, but someone was definately yelling above everyone else. Some candidates were just walking around, giving out papers and saying "Vote". But whoever was standing on the garbage cans screaming should get in trouble. Not only was that ridiculously annoying (I feel bad for Career Services and other offices in Gilmour Hall that had to listen to that), it was definately against the rules.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:34 PM   #21
sew12
Elite Member

Whether or not it was a violation I don't know but they shouldn't have been standing on top of the garbage cans period. That would be unacceptable behavior any day of the year.
Old 02-04-2010 at 07:51 PM   #22
sexyeng87

Liked: 0 Times

i found it ridiculous how abnoxious the campaign for Ash was...it really made me mad because it has not been like that my previous 3 years. it's not welcome week, this is definitely more serious than that.
Old 02-04-2010 at 08:05 PM   #23
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

The candidates shouldn't act like animals, but they do. And they shouldn't sing songs to get votes, but they do. Nobody is enforcing any rules it seems. Remember the person with the most friends wins!

nick.smith likes this.
Old 02-04-2010 at 08:13 PM   #24
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyeng87 View Post
i found it ridiculous how abnoxious the campaign for Ash was...it really made me mad because it has not been like that my previous 3 years. it's not welcome week, this is definitely more serious than that.
Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Ash ran one of the most polite, least obnoxious campaigns of like, ever.

Old 02-04-2010 at 08:30 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I know I specifically saw 3 teams near Compass which in theory would be within sight of that polling station.
I'm pretty sure sight or sound is general proximity and not 20 ft away.

However, Compass is an MSU space, so if people were right beside the Compass queue lines (like I saw a member of a team yesterday) that could have been reported. To bad Ash's and my camera phones were sucking...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-04-2010 at 08:56 PM   #26
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Did anyone else hear? One of my friends said a guy was standing ontop of the garbage container by La Piazza (behind the food cart beside Tim Hortons) and yelling. I don't know who it was though.
I heard about that. And when i was in the student centre, there were definitly Khan and Mary people there. THere were signs and tons of ppl just shouting random things like "vote for bla bla bla" or like..yea you get the point. Polliing stations were just mobbed with those ppl.
Old 02-04-2010 at 09:37 PM   #27
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyeng87 View Post
I think you've mixed up these people's names and campaigns!

Ah, but this is coming from the person who made a new account to post 2 times on ash's thread that door-holding is arrogant... Don't worry about it ^^
Old 02-04-2010 at 10:06 PM   #28
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I think you've mixed up these people's names and campaigns!

Ah, but this is coming from the person who made a new account to post 2 times on ash's thread that door-holding is arrogant... Don't worry about it ^^
Yeah I think there is confusion b/c Ash's campaign was easily the least obnoxious, or abnoxious is it? (for real, don't browsers have spell check?)
Old 02-04-2010 at 10:24 PM   #29
peterisgreat

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Who cares if people were campaigning too close to the poll stations? If you're so easily influenced that people campaigning near the polls affects your vote, you shouldn't be at this school anyways.
Old 02-04-2010 at 10:27 PM   #30
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterisgreat View Post
Who cares if people were campaigning too close to the poll stations? If you're so easily influenced that people campaigning near the polls affects your vote, you shouldn't be at this school anyways.
People care because its a violation of the rules for campaigning for MSU Presidential elections.

If you feel it should not be against the rules for whatever reason that is a separate issue altogether. At this point it is against the rules and people are discussing potential rule violations by the candidates and their campaign team members in this year's election.