MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Submiting Majors gunsnroses First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 03-24-2013 11:50 AM
All My Pnb Majors Where You At? SirPhil Academics 55 08-09-2011 08:04 AM
GPA chart for Majors waleed123 General Discussion 4 11-29-2010 03:12 PM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

3 Majors?

Old 07-23-2014 at 10:34 PM   #1
pizzaslice

Liked: 3 Times

3 Majors?
Is it possible to have 3 majors and graduate within 4/5 years?
Will Mac allow that?
Old 07-23-2014 at 10:43 PM   #2
vampin19xx

Liked: 2 Times

I doubt you could do three majors at the same time, however I'm pretty sure you could double major and go back for a third. How soon you complete all three would be up to you, if you make use of summer school every year I'm sure its possible to do it in 5 years.

Three majors is a bit excessive though, if you're already double majoring but you really like a third subject area I'm sure there are electives from that subject that you can take rather than getting a whole degree in that area. Also a lot of times skills learned in one major are transferable and another major would be redundant. It all depends on what majors you're thinking of.

Do you mind if I ask which 3 majors you are interested in?
Old 07-23-2014 at 10:55 PM   #3
pizzaslice

I was thinking of Anthropology, Multimedia, and Theatre & Film
Old 07-23-2014 at 11:20 PM   #4
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaslice View Post
I was thinking of Anthropology, Multimedia, and Theatre & Film
I would like to give a dead honest and practical comment on your idea, it is plain dumb. I don't see value proposition of spending 5 years on these 3 majors, you should think of employment opportunity or future goals right?

What will you get if you get pay much more money and get a triple degree when they won't do you much good? You might as well study well for your one degree and score at a really good graduate degree and it can do you better.

Have you ever looked into exit opportunities? What will you do once you get out of university, and if you have debt, how can you pay it back? What will be the return of investment of your education?

Furthermore, stuffing your schedule too full will increase stress and decrease GPA and time to do extra curricular activities. It is much smarter to do well in one degree than half buttock 3.

Food for thought.

PS. the market is heavily oversaturated so I don't even recommend doing that.
Old 07-23-2014 at 11:23 PM   #5
vampin19xx

Liked: 2 Times

A lot of Anthro courses are available as electives if you were to focus on Multimedia/Theatre & Film.

It may be smart to think in terms of what you want to do career wise. Multimedia and Theatre & film are degrees which go well together, if you want a career say somewhere in the media or entertainment world those degrees combined would make you marketable. I'm not sure adding Anthropology to those would help you out much, but if you have the time and money and a love for anthro or if you actually want a career in anthro and just enjoy media/film on the side then go for it. Just dont spread yourself too thin, focus on getting a good education in a concentrated area so you'll have a niche once you graduate rather than multiple degrees but no practical experience in any of them.

pizzaslice says thanks to vampin19xx for this post.
Old 07-24-2014 at 08:27 AM   #6
jvux

Liked: 1 Time

You can also complete a double major and a minor
Old 07-24-2014 at 09:44 AM   #7
pizzaslice

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
I would like to give a dead honest and practical comment on your idea, it is plain dumb.
I appreciate that you are trying to give an honest opinion, but you don't need to come off as rude. First of all, you haven't even asked why I chose those these three majors. Instead you went ahead and judged my choices assuming that I won't be able to go anywhere with them in the job market.
All I wanted was to know whether or not it were possible to complete these 3 majors, and if the university would allow it.
I do not need or want your opinion on my choices otherwise.
Good day to you
Old 07-24-2014 at 10:11 AM   #8
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

You may want to ask a program faculty adviser if the university will even allow you (and at what cost). In any case I would map out the courses you would take and see just how much work it would be. I would not recommend going over 40 units per year although its is certainly doable (with the right permissions)

pizzaslice says thanks to qwerty91 for this post.
Old 07-24-2014 at 11:57 AM   #9
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
I appreciate that you are trying to give an honest opinion, but you don't need to come off as rude. First of all, you haven't even asked why I chose those these three majors. Instead you went ahead and judged my choices assuming that I won't be able to go anywhere with them in the job market.
All I wanted was to know whether or not it were possible to complete these 3 majors, and if the university would allow it.
Good day to you
You don't want honest down to earth advice? Then don't ask. Simple as that. This is a dumb idea. Extremely dumb.

2Dream says thanks to Phoneup for this post.

2Dream, allanandthera like this.
Old 07-24-2014 at 12:32 PM   #10
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 165 Times

I agree with a few of the posters above. I think it's so much better to choose 1 or 2 subjects you're truly passionate about and concentrate on them, being the best of the best and putting all your energy and effort into your work, rather than being simply "good" in 3 subjects. It may be possible, but not necessarily a great idea. Also, you seem like someone who enjoys school and studying, why are you concerned with how long it will take you? If you're worried that if you major in one, you will miss out on the others, I want you to know that you can always switch majors throughout your undergrad and transfer your elective credits. If you find that you want to be educated as much as possible in numerous subjects, you can always go back for a second degree.
Old 07-24-2014 at 12:42 PM   #11
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Unless your program is a double-degree program then no it isnt possible to get 3 majors done in 4-5 years, maybe in 6 years. Firstly you really should talk to an adviser about if you can even get a second degree after the first one, since it seems like the two overlap too much. There is a rule where if you come back for another degree, the second one cannot be too similar (decided by your department I believe).

And like others have said, there isn't a benefit to having three different Bachelor degrees, especially ones which are as similar as yours. Even in ones that are different, having 3 doesn't make you better suited for a job since specialization in one field is more important than general knowledge in a single subject.

Hope it goes well, and good luck.
Old 07-24-2014 at 08:59 PM   #12
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I'm a little concerned that three majors will make you look unfocused to employers and grad schools. I agree that it's smarter to narrow your choices to two, based on your post-undergrad goals.

I doubt that the university would let you enroll in three programs at once, but you could do a double major followed by a second degree. I'd recommend against it, though, if only because of the time commitment involved. I don't think you could even do this in under six years, assuming you want honours degrees. Additionally, you would have to become a continuing student to do this (so no OSAP, if that's an issue) and frankly, you may well decide you want to leave Mac by then -- speaking as someone who did stick around to do a second degree, it can get dull when your friends graduate.

I would think really long and hard about why you want to do this. If you do, I think the double major + second degree route is the only possible way to do it. You can ask an advisor, but I'm almost positive Mac won't recognize a triple major.
Old 07-25-2014 at 09:33 AM   #13
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Good day to you
So you get mad when someone gives you honest advice, and then proceed to act like a dick towards them? Hope those 3 majors help in your application for a manager's position at McDonalds in 5 (maybe 6) years after your waste your time on these majors. Dont ask a question in an open forum and then get angry when someone legit tries to offer you insight into the situation.
Old 07-25-2014 at 10:09 AM   #14
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I'm pretty sure that is the combination of majors you need to become an astronaut cowboy millionaire.

Last edited by airvcarmelo : 07-25-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2014 at 10:13 AM   #15
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

So exactly what are your reasons for each of those three majors. While having overlap helps reduce the tie it takes to get those courses, too much overlap is not allowed.

If you provide more information we can be of more help.