MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any help from Psych majors (or anyone) out there? missmatch Academics 5 06-26-2010 11:15 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
Confused about Majors squash101 Academics 5 06-01-2010 11:10 AM
When to Declare Majors squash101 Academics 7 01-18-2010 09:13 AM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

Majors

Old 12-27-2009 at 07:09 PM   #1
noghi

Liked: 2 Times

Majors
When do I got to pick my major? Does it vary from major to major? I am not sure as to when I gotta do it by and how do I apply? Do I gotta go to some office or can i do it online.
Old 12-27-2009 at 07:15 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

This will happen in March. People say you get an e-mail...I frankly don't really remember whether I did.

It's definitely an online thing. I believe it's an option on SOLAR. You'll likely get details closer to the date, although I'm sure others on MacInsiders could give you some other helpful tips .
Old 12-27-2009 at 07:34 PM   #3
noghi

excellent. Thanks. My mom has been bugging me to pick my major and im always like mom I think I gotta wait for email me.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 12-27-2009 at 07:38 PM   #4
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by noghi View Post
excellent. Thanks. My mom has been bugging me to pick my major and im always like mom I think I gotta wait for email me.
Lmfao, that's like my mom. :p
"are your grades up?! did you apply for a major yet!? well, you'd better do it quick, or you'll miss the deadline!"

SO annoying. xD

Old 12-27-2009 at 07:42 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Yeah it should be some time in March, you rank your 4 top choices on SOLAR. Then some time in June I believe, before course selection for 2nd year you can check and see which majors you've been accepted into. Then when you go to do your course selection for next year on SOLAR you choose which major you of the ones you've been accepted into. You don't have to choose 4 majors but they recommend that you make at least 3 selections. As long as you meet the all the requirements for your first choice though and its not a limited enrollment program you will obviously get into it.
Old 12-27-2009 at 08:03 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I'm shadowing the Life Science program right now and can't take Bio 1A03 until the summer. Almost every choice I want requires Bio 1A03. I know that I can get a conditional offer (conditional upon my completion of it in the summer) and still be granted admission but I don't have the option of a "safety". It's not so much the CGPA as it is the prerequisite of that one biology for every option. Does anyone have any advice, please?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 12-27-2009 at 08:08 PM   #7
noghi

Heres another question. Do you need to have 30 units in order to apply for a major or would 27 be enough. I am thinking about taking 4 next term if I can still get into the major with 27 units. But obviously if I need 30 im going to take 5.
Old 12-27-2009 at 08:13 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Heres another question. Do you need to have 30 units in order to apply for a major or would 27 be enough. I am thinking about taking 4 next term if I can still get into the major with 27 units. But obviously if I need 30 im going to take 5.
I believe it varies by major. You need to check the specific requirements for your chosen majors.

For my major I know I needed to complete 30 units in order to be expected but I think its different for other programs, and other faculties especially.

The requirements for majors should be found in Course Calendar.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calendar/current/
Old 12-27-2009 at 10:43 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
You can ask an Academic Advisor or the Department Head; they'd give you the best answers.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement