MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eng + Minors.. and other stuff Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 08-18-2010 01:20 AM
Possible Minors w/ Comp. Sci.? Andrew A Academics 10 07-31-2010 06:08 PM
Minors really worth it? tammy37 Academics 36 08-21-2009 10:21 AM
Number of Minors myoozik General Discussion 28 06-21-2009 10:48 PM
Minors Kevin Academics 4 05-14-2008 10:28 AM

Majors and Minors?

Old 06-14-2010 at 09:10 PM   #1
Hanna

Liked: 0 Times

Majors and Minors?
I was just wondering how you would major or minor in something. How do you do a double major? If I'm studying kinesiology, is it possible to do a double major or have a minor? I'm kind of confuse about how this works. :S
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:12 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
I was just wondering how you would major or minor in something. How do you do a double major? If I'm studying kinesiology, is it possible to do a double major or have a minor? I'm kind of confuse about how this works. :S
Majors is what your program is, minors are electives taken in other areas. Not sure if you can double major with Kinesiology, it's usually possible for Humanities students though.

You can minor if you have 24 units of electives (generally, look on the undergraduate calendar for information on minors in each department).
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:15 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Major is basically the main program you're enrolled in. A minor is 24 units, or 1 full-year course for 4 years. I'm not sure about doing a double major with Kin, but I know it's possible with other programs. Maybe someone in kin can you give you more insight?
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:17 PM   #4
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Majors is what your program is, minors are electives taken in other areas. Not sure if you can double major with Kinesiology, it's usually possible for Humanities students though.

You can minor if you have 24 units of electives (generally, look on the undergraduate calendar for information on minors in each department).
24 units of electives taken throughout 4 years? Do you have to start taking the courses in the subject you want to minor in first year?
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:19 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
24 units of electives taken throughout 4 years? Do you have to start taking the courses in the subject you want to minor in first year?
You don't have to. You can take 24 units in 1 year if you wanted, if the prerequisites allow it.
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:27 PM   #6
Hanna

Is it pratical to have biology minor?
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:30 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
If you are in Kin I don't think it would be because they could be so closely related. I think a minor in business would be a lot better.
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:32 PM   #8
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
I don't think it would be possible to be honest. Pick something that's not so close to the subject matter.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:05 PM   #9
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I don't think it would be possible to be honest. Pick something that's not so close to the subject matter.
Would a minor in health studies be better or is it still too closely related?
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:09 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Would a minor in health studies be better or is it still too closely related?
I'm not sure. In any case it's up to you. What do you plan on doing when you graduate? You'll want your minor to be useful in the field you are entering.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:16 PM   #11
Hanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm not sure. In any case it's up to you. What do you plan on doing when you graduate? You'll want your minor to be useful in the field you are entering.
Most likely physiotherapist but it's still probably too early to know for sure.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:19 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Most likely physiotherapist but it's still probably too early to know for sure.
Yeah, that's the problem with minors. You want them to be useful to you (A minor in business is completely useless if you don't go into the business aspect of your area), but a vast majority of people are still undecided about what they want to be. Even if people already know what they want to do, they can change their mind half way through university.
Old 06-14-2010 at 10:51 PM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Hey. Double Majors are NOT possible with a kin degree.

You can take any minor you want with kin. Bio is practical and is not similar to Kin, although it might be if you take all physiology courses. If you're planning on medicine a minor in biochem might not be too far of a stretch however as you'd need only 4 courses beyond your basic medschool prereqs.
Old 06-15-2010 at 07:28 PM   #14
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

in addition, most minors require that 12 units of those 24 required units NOT be required for your major degree
so in other words, 4 of those courses must be electives and dont count towards your degree (major).
degree audit on mugsi will tell you what courses count towards your degree and what are electives
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 06-15-2010 at 07:31 PM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Since health studies is in the Soc Sci dept, any courses from there would likely be elective to your degree, so it should be possible