MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any help from Psych majors (or anyone) out there? missmatch Academics 5 06-26-2010 11:15 PM
Majors and Minors? Hanna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 06-19-2010 11:45 AM
Confused about Majors squash101 Academics 5 06-01-2010 11:10 AM
Majors noghi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 12-27-2009 10:43 PM
majors in Mac lbqjenny First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-22-2009 11:00 AM

When to Declare Majors

Old 01-01-2010 at 01:30 PM   #1
squash101

Liked: 0 Times

When to Declare Majors
Hi,

I was wondering when is the deadline to declare a major or minor and also can you declare a minor in your second year attending mac. I was wondering because I want to take women studies, but there is a class conflict and I was wondering if I can take the course next year and still minor in it.
Old 01-01-2010 at 01:33 PM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I think the deal with declaring a minor is you need to procure at least 18 units in whatever you want to minor in before graduating and/or leaving the school.
Old 01-01-2010 at 02:32 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I'm pretty sure you need 24 units actually, and you declare your minor in like 4th year after you've finished those units.
Old 01-01-2010 at 02:38 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I'm pretty sure you need 24 units actually, and you declare your minor in like 4th year after you've finished those units.
Oh ya, you're right. I checked again, and you need at least 24 units, with at least 18 of which completed at McMaster.
Old 01-01-2010 at 03:47 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Oh ya, you're right. I checked again, and you need at least 24 units, with at least 18 of which completed at McMaster.
Yeah, it's usually 24 units with 18 Year II, III, IV units, at least 6 of which are III and IV units...
Old 01-01-2010 at 05:55 PM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Yeah, it's usually 24 units with 18 Year II, III, IV units, at least 6 of which are III and IV units...
Requirements may vary from department to department (e.g. you might have to complete a certain number of courses from a course list vs. just any Year II, III, IV courses). You should check the department's section in the undergraduate calendar to ensure that you fulfill those requirements.

You declare the minor on your Graduation Information Card, which you fill out when you graduate. I think the Registrar or someone of that sort checks to see if you completed all the courses against the Calendar requirements. In other words, you technically have all your undergrad years to figure out if you want to declare the minor or not (although of course you need to plan it out properly).
Old 01-01-2010 at 06:57 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Oh, and when you declare your major... that usually comes up in March of your second term of first year. You can always change your major though in later years at the same time. It's always on SOLAR, and they will send you an e-mail telling you when the exact dates are. You'll have four choices, and on your grade report it'll tell you whether you've been accepted or not.
Old 01-18-2010 at 09:13 AM   #8
squash101

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you Very much guys for your time and effort, that really helped me solve my problems.