MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has anyone taken Enviro/Geo 3ee3 (energy and society)? demelo_b Academics 0 01-12-2011 03:57 PM
Geo 2GG3 or 3EE3? Jerob Academics 8 01-05-2011 03:20 PM
Enviro Sci 3EE3 manu Academics 0 05-02-2010 12:05 PM
GEOG 3EE3 Lab Trade! Anyone want L02? Anaam Academics 0 01-07-2010 12:12 AM
Advice on RELIG ST 3EE3 SACRED JOURNEYS darklink121 General Discussion 3 08-20-2009 12:14 PM

3EE3 Lab 5

Old 03-06-2011 at 04:44 PM   #1
blush11

Liked: 0 Times

3EE3 Lab 5
Anyone else working on this lab? I need some help on how to calculate heat loss from each room...help?
Old 03-06-2011 at 04:46 PM   #2
sf

Liked: 36 Times

Can you be a bit more specific?
Old 03-06-2011 at 05:38 PM   #3
blush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfraser View Post
Can you be a bit more specific?
sure,
so for example, for the floor..by the table i think it means the basement floor (which for me is over sealed unheated fiberglass), but when on the ground floor/second what floor would i use? or am i using ceiling?

and if a room has 2 windows do I just add the 2 surface areas together and use that value in the table to multiply by the surface factor?

for the chart on the 3rd page - what does it mean by sumof rows? im confused by this chart in general..

and lastly ... how do I find my cost/therm for natural gas? and its home heating cost if used?

thanks!!
Old 03-06-2011 at 05:46 PM   #4
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush11 View Post
sure,
so for example, for the floor..by the table i think it means the basement floor (which for me is over sealed unheated fiberglass), but when on the ground floor/second what floor would i use? or am i using ceiling?

and if a room has 2 windows do I just add the 2 surface areas together and use that value in the table to multiply by the surface factor?

for the chart on the 3rd page - what does it mean by sumof rows? im confused by this chart in general..

and lastly ... how do I find my cost/therm for natural gas? and its home heating cost if used?

thanks!!
1) the floor section only refers to whichever floor is touvhing an exterior surface...so that would be your basement...for every other room in your house that floor part of the chart would just be 0

2)Yes you add up the total surface area of all of the windows in the room and multiply that by the factor

3) sum of rows means sum of rows....as in the total for each feature...so for example add up all of values for your window heat loss from each room

4) you need to get the cost of the natural gas from your bills or from the link in avenue...it's home heating cost is just Part F

Hope that helps!
Old 03-06-2011 at 06:20 PM   #5
blush11

Quote:
1) the floor section only refers to whichever floor is touvhing an exterior surface...so that would be your basement...for every other room in your house that floor part of the chart would just be 0

2)Yes you add up the total surface area of all of the windows in the room and multiply that by the factor

3) sum of rows means sum of rows....as in the total for each feature...so for example add up all of values for your window heat loss from each room

4) you need to get the cost of the natural gas from your bills or from the link in avenue...it's home heating cost is just Part F

Hope that helps!
okay so the walls are the same concept as windows? so the area (l x w) of one side of the wall + the area of the adjacent wall to get the total value for the rooms walls?

and the cost given on my bill is far lower than that of the website (12 cents vs 44) which is seems kinda weird..., also it is in cost/m^3 how would I convert that to cost/therm?

thanks for all of your help!!
Old 03-06-2011 at 06:28 PM   #6
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush11 View Post
okay so the walls are the same concept as windows? so the area (l x w) of one side of the wall + the area of the adjacent wall to get the total value for the rooms walls?

and the cost given on my bill is far lower than that of the website (12 cents vs 44) which is seems kinda weird..., also it is in cost/m^3 how would I convert that to cost/therm?

thanks for all of your help!!
The total area of the walls would just be the total area of whatever walls are an exterior surface.
My cost for natural gas was 12 cents as well so don't worry about that but you will need to google how to convert it.
I suggest you try and go see your TA to get some help since if you are having a hard time doing the calculations it will make it harder when you have to make your reccomendations and when you do the comparison between what you paid and what it should actually cost.
Old 03-06-2011 at 06:46 PM   #7
blush11

Quote:
The total area of the walls would just be the total area of whatever walls are an exterior surface.
My cost for natural gas was 12 cents as well so don't worry about that but you will need to google how to convert it.
I suggest you try and go see your TA to get some help since if you are having a hard time doing the calculations it will make it harder when you have to make your reccomendations and when you do the comparison between what you paid and what it should actually cost.
thanks for all of your help
Old 03-06-2011 at 08:30 PM   #8
demelo_b

Liked: 14 Times

I posted this on the discussion board, maybe one of you guys here can help me

Hi everyone,
I've done all of the hard work of measuring out rooms, drawing sketches, measuring windows etc.

This may sound like a dumb question, but where does having access to a winters worth of heating bills come into place into this lab?

I must be doing something wrong to not see it!
Old 03-06-2011 at 09:33 PM   #9
sf

It is one of the last parts...you just need to know the total amount you paid for heat so you can compare it to your calculated value.
Old 03-06-2011 at 09:42 PM   #10
Awesomeness

Liked: 42 Times

the value i calculated is alot more than what i paid in bills...i wonder if i did something wrong?
Old 03-06-2011 at 09:46 PM   #11
sf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
the value i calculated is alot more than what i paid in bills...i wonder if i did something wrong?
Nope, you have to remember this audit is the most basic one you can do and is more of an approximation. I have very different numbers as well and the TA said that was fine and just to be sure to explain why I think there is a difference...so don't worry you didn't do anything wrong!
Old 03-06-2011 at 10:10 PM   #12
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

More than likely the cost on your bill for natural gas is in cents/m^3. Look carefully at the chart which asks for a cost /therm. m^3 and therm are not the same. When you convert to cost/therm you should be getting a number closer to 40cents/therm.

Old 03-06-2011 at 10:27 PM   #13
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Also don't forget that the units that need to be used in the chart with all the room dimensions are ft^2 not m^2.

Old 03-07-2011 at 12:43 AM   #14
blush11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
hmm I found that I pay more than what was calculated...
which should it theoretically actually be?