MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anywhere that sells food open past 12am? sumerr13 Body & Food 4 01-03-2012 10:30 AM
I need some sleep. Rakim Music 6 10-07-2010 10:04 AM
Sleep... xxsumz General Discussion 11 09-17-2010 01:57 AM
Is sleep really necessary? paul Misc 7 10-17-2008 07:28 PM
Holiday Schedule and Exam schedule Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-16-2008 01:56 PM

4pm to 12am sleep schedule.?

Old 12-03-2011 at 09:18 AM   #1
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

4pm to 12am sleep schedule.?
Im thinking of sleeping from 4pm to 12 am (8 hours) and then studying the rest of the time around. Because my class end latest at 3, and I live off campus so housemates are distracting. They aren't bad people, but I think one would procrastinate less and do more work if everyone is asleep and you are newly slept and refreshed. This is a full year schedule btw.

Has anyone tried this? If so how did it go?
Old 12-03-2011 at 09:25 AM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

won't work

12chars

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 12-03-2011 at 09:46 AM   #3
nomchock

Liked: 31 Times

sleep schedules take month(s) to adjust in a serious manner

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:17 AM   #4
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Can't be done with a single phase.

The better option is to go to 2 phases. It works well, 1-1.5 w adjustment.

2PM - 4PM
2AM - 4AM

If you take any stimulating medication, beware; you may experience extremely vivid and lucid dreams.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:22 AM   #5
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

This is how you adjust in one day:

1) Don't go to sleep until the 4 PM the next day (i.e. Don't go to sleep Monday, and then go to sleep on Tuesday at 4 PM).

2) Make sure to set a ton of alarms to wake up at 12:00 AM.

There, you have adjusted to your new sleep schedule.

kristinb likes this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:41 AM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
This is how you adjust in one day:

1) Don't go to sleep until the 4 PM the next day (i.e. Don't go to sleep Monday, and then go to sleep on Tuesday at 4 PM).

2) Make sure to set a ton of alarms to wake up at 12:00 AM.

There, you have adjusted to your new sleep schedule.
Doesn't work so easily.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:47 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
Im thinking of sleeping from 4pm to 12 am (8 hours) and then studying the rest of the time around. Because my class end latest at 3, and I live off campus so housemates are distracting. They aren't bad people, but I think one would procrastinate less and do more work if everyone is asleep and you are newly slept and refreshed. This is a full year schedule btw.

Has anyone tried this? If so how did it go?
Do you really think getting up, doing school work or class till 4pm, going to sleep, and waking up and do school school work again is really all you want to your life? Sounds bizarre. I'm sure you can adjust it as you go, but thats what it sounds like your 2nd semester will consist of... sleep...study...sleep
Old 12-03-2011 at 12:47 PM   #8
lifesciman1

^Honestly I don't care about having a social life, Ill do that on weekends. Also guys do you think this is a smart idea for efficient studying once the schedule is set? since there aren't any distractions like friends, calls, Facebook, etc.?
Old 12-03-2011 at 12:51 PM   #9
madhur7

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
^Honestly I don't care about having a social life, Ill do that on weekends. Also guys do you think this is a smart idea for efficient studying once the schedule is set? since there aren't any distractions like friends, calls, Facebook, etc.?
hey i dont know how well that would work out for you? if you plan on getting up at 12 and considering you have an earliest class on 8:30, it would mean you would be trying to study for 6 to 7 hours. i think it would be really hard to do that in the beginning of the semester since the workload is not too much so i think this would one work IF you are SUPER MOTIVATED to do so.
Old 12-03-2011 at 03:41 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Doesn't work so easily.
does for me .
Old 12-03-2011 at 04:07 PM   #11
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Motivation to do work is, for the most part, an intrinsic quality. Superficial distractions can be avoided fairly easily with your idea (e.g., no texts to respond to, few people online on MSN). However, if you lack motivation then your studying will not be efficient, even at 4am.

There are a million ways to entertain yourself ( >_> ) such as Reddit, games, YouTube, and checking Facebook even if everyone else is sleeping. These won't go away just because most people you know are sleeping.

As Ryan noted, I feel like you'd be bored as **** after a few weeks...no social interaction whatsoever? You go home, sleep, and wake up when everyone else is sleeping...when do you just hang out and talk with your buddies? Needless to say that is actually an important part of remaining stress-free and being productive when you do study.

What about food - are you going to be cooking dinner at 3am every night?

Also, you won't be able to adjust your sleep schedule for the weekends alone. So your "social life" on the weekends will consist of hanging out with friends until early afternoon, and then you sleeping, and then waking back up at 12. Sure, other people may be awake at that point but you're missing the prime social time (7pm to midnight-ish).

Last edited by Alchemist11 : 12-03-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2011 at 04:08 PM   #12
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It will take more work and will power to adjust your sleep schedule than it would to ignore your housemates. Put a sign on your door that says "STUDYING. DO NOT DISTURB" and wear earplugs.
Old 12-03-2011 at 04:23 PM   #13
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

I found I am far more productive at night since there is less distraction, and since many buildings are open then it is also very quiet and you dont need to fight for space.

What ive started the habit of doing is going to sleep at 4 or 5 AM, waking up at 1ish, get any shopping/gym out of the way then that way you can interact with people in the afternoon before you do on to study by yourself overnight
Old 12-03-2011 at 09:39 PM   #14
lifesciman1

Do you mean going to sleep at 5 pm? Because you will miss classes/labs if I do that. I honestly think Im gonna give my plan a go, it seems like a good idea. Im usually self motivated and independent in a sense. I'm very social but I'm not dependant on other people for school or for entertainment.
Old 12-03-2011 at 10:51 PM   #15
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

I don't think it's a great idea. Regardless of how much I sleep in the afternoon, I am always more tired/less productive at very late hours of the night... and hence less productive during class time. If roommates are distracting study at the library silent study area... you probably won't go on facebook since you will think others are judging you (I think so haha) and can't pick up your phone, etc...

ph4ntastic likes this.