MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anywhere that sells food open past 12am? sumerr13 Body & Food 4 01-03-2012 10:30 AM
I need some sleep. Rakim Music 6 10-07-2010 10:04 AM
Sleep... xxsumz General Discussion 11 09-17-2010 01:57 AM
Is sleep really necessary? paul Misc 7 10-17-2008 07:28 PM
Holiday Schedule and Exam schedule Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-16-2008 01:56 PM

4pm to 12am sleep schedule.?

Old 12-03-2011 at 11:20 PM   #16
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

It would really mess up your schedule, especially if you're planning on doing this throughout all of second semester! A better idea would be to stay up till 4 or something, sleep till 8 or 9 then have a nap in the evening so you can stay up again at night. I find that always works for me.

apples12 likes this.
Old 12-03-2011 at 11:34 PM   #17
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I've been going to sleep between 6-7 am and getting up at 11am for years. As much as I prefer not having people around at those hours, as soon as I have something to do at 9am, it throws off my schedule and it can be very hard to get back on track.

The biggest problem is that the rest of the world is not on your schedule and they don't care that your trying to sleep. If you were to live alone out in the country you could do it but no amount of earplugs, sleeping pills and blacked out windows will ensure you'll be able to sleep when everyone else is awake.

Humans are meant to sleep at night and if I do sleep between say 1am and 7am, I feel way better but its just not possible for me to do that right now. If you want to try to alter your sleeping pattern quickly you do it with sleep deprivation and food. I worked shifts for years and this is what most people do. Like others said, stay up all night and day until 4pm and when you wake up at midnight eat something right away to help trick your body into thinking its morning. I can usually rotate my schedule 180 degrees like this in only 1 day as long as you make it till bedtime the next day without napping. In theory you can do it but it won't work on a long term basis because something will always pop up interfering with your plan.

I agree with Sara too. I have recently found that I feel alright sleeping from 12pm-1am the again from 7-10am. I find a lot of students are on the 4 hours at night and a nap program. Still up all night but also up when most people are up.

Last edited by darkstar : 12-03-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2011 at 11:37 PM   #18
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Humans are conditioned to sleep during the night and work during the day. You can try, but you're fighting against millions of years of evolution here... even people who work the night shift never fully adjust (my mom did for quite a while, and knows people who've done it much longer).

You're better off just learning to "not be distracted," it'll be far more useful later in life than knowing how to change your sleep schedule. You seem to be running away from the real issue here - learning to focus.

apples12, RyanC, slx4 like this.
Old 12-04-2011
manap3001
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-04-2011 at 10:15 AM   #19
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
you're going to get fat.
This was by far the most useful post on this thread.

Snowman likes this.
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:36 AM   #20
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Go study on campus/at a cafe/at a local library to avoid loud roommates. It's what I did for most of my undergrad degree with loud roommates.

Old 12-04-2011 at 01:12 PM   #21
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
does for me .
Go read up on it.

If you think its all that easy, try doing a job next summer overnighrs. See how it goes
Old 12-04-2011 at 03:58 PM   #22
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

Start playing video games.... That will keep you up through the night and sleep during the day.
Old 12-04-2011 at 04:24 PM   #23
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

ummm ur in life sci? what about the labs that end at 5:30, also alot of people are only available for group work/projects/meetings later on in the night, dont expect ppl to make time for you cus u sleep at 4pm no sir. i remember last year i had a bunch of meetings for group projects even at 10pm.

i think ur idea is not smart at all, because you arent considering everything at hand, u are o0nyl looking at your schedules and what might work best for you, if you do do this then:
- what about the labs that end at 5:30 (and dont get cocky and say ull finish them early, i say HAH to that)
- what about your group members only being able to meet up later at night (and trust thats the only time ppl are usually free to meet, after 5:30pm most times)
- what about getting a balanced diet, will you still be eating right, will you be getting enough vitamin d from the sun? etc. etc.
- what about your freinds (it seems like you putting yourself into a lonely corner and it sounds really socially awkward, and there's no way ull be able to adjust you weekend schedules to your friends like a prev poster said.)
- and no matter how much work there is or how distracting you room mates are there will always be time to get things done (go to the library, if you have too much ask for extensions or do an all-nighter -not good but better than doing what your planning on doing- )

in the end its not a good idea at all and you dont really have a valid reason for wrecking your life like this
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:25 PM   #24
mk90

Liked: 42 Times

everyone says first year is hard but it's actually the easiest to do well in.
courses in first year are designed for you to do well in, because around 70% of the material you learn is review.

if you can't study, go to the library
not the crappy loud places, go hit the quiet room if you want to do work
here are places to avoid if you go to the library and you don't want to be distracted by other people
1. mills 1st floor
2. mills 2nd floor learning commons
3. anywhere you see your friends

i circulated the libraries during first year to study and find a quiet place. it's way easier than doing work at home with room-mates there.

it's very possible to do well in first year life sci, despite the rumors that it's 'weeding people out.'
and you don't need to avoid all social contact to do it. you just have to be smart about when you can hang out with people (i.e. first month of school, directly after midterms). don't expect to party every single weekend, but don't miss out on partying every single weekend.

Besides, life gets harder than first year university. How are you going to learn to deal with harder things if you're abandoning normal life for first year life sci? enjoy the research-less work in life sci 1st year before you hit the real science courses.