Summer Courses? :| ishk33 Academics 4 02-08-2011 12:13 PM
Summer Courses Karlee H. Academics 2 05-31-2010 06:07 PM
Summer Courses hishkabab Academics 7 01-11-2009 09:11 PM

5 courses in the summer?

Old 04-07-2013 at 01:01 AM   #1
dr4357

Liked: 1 Time

5 courses in the summer?
Hey guys, I am hoping to take 4 courses this summer (I have done this every year at Mac...i actually love the 2 month breakdown).

However, I am also wondering whether mac will allow me to take an Athabasca course during August but still allow that course to count towards my degree. (Note, it will be a required course however, it would also be a course that would be useful in the sense that I could take upper courses with that course in hand...its not offered in summer btw).

ALso, somewhat unrelated, I would be needing OSAP for the summer...do they tend to cover all courses? If so, do they cover the entire fee? (I wouldn't be able to take the 4 courses if they dont...literally). Also, during the year, they often provide a little extra for books etc. Is this the case in the summer? Again, may need to skip out on the books if this is the case too LOL ..

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS
Old 04-07-2013 at 09:47 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr4357 View Post
Hey guys, I am hoping to take 4 courses this summer (I have done this every year at Mac...i actually love the 2 month breakdown).

However, I am also wondering whether mac will allow me to take an Athabasca course during August but still allow that course to count towards my degree. (Note, it will be a required course however, it would also be a course that would be useful in the sense that I could take upper courses with that course in hand...its not offered in summer btw).

ALso, somewhat unrelated, I would be needing OSAP for the summer...do they tend to cover all courses? If so, do they cover the entire fee? (I wouldn't be able to take the 4 courses if they dont...literally). Also, during the year, they often provide a little extra for books etc. Is this the case in the summer? Again, may need to skip out on the books if this is the case too LOL ..

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS
You should talk to an academic advisor about the Athabasca course. Typically to overload in the summer you need permission, and you'll need permission to take the Athabasca course anyways, so it's best if you go talk to someone about it.

What did you do for OSAP in previous summers? How much OSAP you get is dependent on your financial situation, as you're probably aware. So without knowing your financial situation, we can't say for sure how much it would cover.
Old 04-07-2013 at 11:53 AM   #3
dr4357

Hey thanks for the reply!

In the past, I just paid for it in cash. However, I had an overpayment this year and paid it back and thus, would lack the funds for the summer school course.

I don't think the Athabasca course would be permitted. I would be pursuing a second degree and I think I read somewhere that all requirements must be completed at MAC. However, I remember hearing somewhere that up to 2 courses can be external? I have no idea if this is true though...
Old 04-07-2013 at 01:07 PM   #4
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

Are you working? If not, you'll probably get enough OSAP to pay...
Old 04-07-2013 at 02:58 PM   #5
dr4357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Are you working? If not, you'll probably get enough OSAP to pay...
No i shouldnt be. Ill be taking 4 courses though...(well only if OSAP covers it).