MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has NO ONE taken SCI 2C00? Needlenose Academics 7 09-16-2010 11:08 PM
Swap 2nd term econ for 1st term mizz.s. Academics 0 08-31-2010 11:54 PM
Does anyone who has term 2 Physics 1L03 want to trade for the term 1 course? Yuls Academics 0 08-13-2010 01:42 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term? MacPack Academics 3 06-11-2010 04:44 PM

6 course/term!? (also have anyone taken sci 2c00?)

Old 08-21-2010 at 06:19 PM   #1
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

6 course/term!? (also have anyone taken sci 2c00?)
I'm thinking of taking the psych 1xx3 in my term 2 but I already have 5 courses + science 2c00.
Is it do-able with an extra psych 1xx3 with just 1 hr lecture and 1 hr tut? So that's a total of 7 courses actually XP

Also have anyone taken sci 2c00 already? What do you do in that class? Is it a lot of work in terms of workload/difficulty?
Thanks!

Last edited by VoyozooT : 08-21-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: forgot to add information
Old 08-21-2010 at 06:39 PM   #2
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Science 2C00 is a class that lasts 8 weeks and its not much work at all. This is just meant to introduce you to many aspects of career searching/interviews/resume styles/a resume critique you must attend (takes 20mins). This is a PASS/FAIL course meaining you do not get a grade just a completion on your transcript. The only work you do is reflections (longest one was 1pg long), there is one per week (8 in total) but you only need to complete 4 of them, and you can do all of them at the end, do them as they appear each week, or whatever as long as you hand in the 4 refections, attend a resume critique (scheduled during class time in the SCCE office) you pass the course. Its super easy and very useful for those looking to find jobs in the science field. Most people take this as their "sixth" course but its only 8 weeks and the work is almost not present so its not hard at all to complete this class with a full course load.

It would help to know what your other 5 courses are to say if taking PSYCH 1XX3 is manageable.
Old 08-21-2010 at 06:46 PM   #3
VoyozooT

I'm in 2nd year chembio so the other 5 courses I'm taking are Chem 2OB3, Bio 2C03, Bio 2B03, Chembio 2L03, and biochem 2bb3.

Also, the reason why I'm taking psych 1xx3 is as a back-up in case I want to do pharm at UfT. I see that you're in the biology and pharm program at mac, how is the program? When you chose pharm at mac, did you do any comparisons to Pharm at UfT? Also, is there much of a difference if you study pharm at a pharm school* like the Leslie Dan compared to pharm at mac which is just a program* (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you know if pharm at a pharm school would be more specialized?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2010 at 07:27 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
I'm in 2nd year chembio so the other 5 courses I'm taking are Chem 2OB3, Bio 2C03, Bio 2B03, Chembio 2L03, and biochem 2bb3.

Also, the reason why I'm taking psych 1xx3 is as a back-up in case I want to do pharm at UfT. I see that you're in the biology and pharm program at mac, how is the program? When you chose pharm at mac, did you do any comparisons to Pharm at UfT? Also, is there much of a difference if you study pharm at a pharm school* like the Leslie Dan compared to pharm at mac which is just a program* (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you know if pharm at a pharm school would be more specialized?

Thanks!
I would definitely NOT recommend taking a 6th course in 2nd year chembio...2C00 doesn't count, since it's so little work anyways
1XX3 wasn't THAT much work, but whyyy would you do that to yourself? haha
You could probably survive taking 1XX3 next year, but it would not be a fun experience. Your other options are: taking it instead of genetics, taking it online through Athabasca (if it's offered, that way you can work at your own pace and take longer than 4 months to complete the course, do some of it over winter break, etc), take it in the summer, or take it next year.

Biopharm is a pharmacology program where you learn about drugs and how they interact with the body, whereas pharm at UofT gives you your qualifications to actually be a pharmacist. You can't just get a degree in pharmacology and then become a pharmacist--there are certain qualifications that you need.

VoyozooT says thanks to nerual for this post.
Old 08-21-2010 at 07:50 PM   #5
VoyozooT

Hey Lauren =P

I would still prefer to stay chembio all the way but it's just that I really have no idea what chembio can lead into lol. But ya I'm gona think about taking psych instead of genetics >< unless I do like 3 courses next summer T_T
Old 08-21-2010 at 08:00 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
Hey Lauren =P

I would still prefer to stay chembio all the way but it's just that I really have no idea what chembio can lead into lol. But ya I'm gona think about taking psych instead of genetics >< unless I do like 3 courses next summer T_T
You have plenty of time to figure it out--it's not until second term that you have to decide Both psych 1XX3 and genetics would be pretty good electives, since they both have fairly light workloads. It's really just the group projects from each of those courses that would be a pain.

Don't discount taking the course online, too...it can really make things easier. http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/ass...lop2/equiv.php

Chembio can lead into many of the same jobs that chem and biochem do. I'm looking into drug design/development/production or something like that. Several people are considering pharmacy or med school (three people from the year above us got in!).
Old 08-21-2010 at 08:49 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It depends what you want. Your GPA might take a hit with 6, can you afford to take that chance?

Also, Science 2C00 is fairly easy, don't worry about it.
Old 08-21-2010 at 10:50 PM   #8
Scrub
Original "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Biopharm is a pharmacology program where you learn about drugs and how they interact with the body, whereas pharm at UofT gives you your qualifications to actually be a pharmacist. You can't just get a degree in pharmacology and then become a pharmacist--there are certain qualifications that you need.
Yep this is very correct, I am not in pharmacy (which is what VoyozooT was referring to). Pharmacology is interactions with the human body (vice versa) and composition of drugs/types of drugs.
Old 08-21-2010 at 10:51 PM   #9
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Its 6 per term in 1st year engineering..
Old 08-21-2010 at 10:54 PM   #10
Scrub
Original "G"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Its 6 per term in 1st year engineering..
You engineers are a crazy bunch, I still find it remarkable the amount of work you guys have, kudo's.