MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swap 2nd term econ for 1st term mizz.s. Academics 0 08-31-2010 11:54 PM
Does anyone who has term 2 Physics 1L03 want to trade for the term 1 course? Yuls Academics 0 08-13-2010 01:42 PM
can i drop a class in term 2 and take a class in term 1??? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 08-10-2010 12:58 PM
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
Emergency: registering for Math 1ZB3, but fail coz of the prerequisite Bodun First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 06-29-2010 07:01 AM

What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term?

Old 06-11-2010 at 04:00 PM   #1
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term?
1. What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term?

I was looking at the McMaster Timetable and I noticed that course that a prerequisite for course in the same year are not scheduled for second term.
2. Do they add these courses later on in the year?

I am not too worried about failing a course but rather if I do Headstart I am thinking about starting second year course like MATH 2Z03 (since it is a required course in most engineering level two programs).
3. Would this be possible, like could I even get a waiver from a nice professor or academic advisor?

Any answers, comments, and suggestions are welcome.
I also know the failing part is interesting to other students and the post on this forum so far don’t really give a straight answer.
Old 06-11-2010 at 04:30 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Do NOT start 2z03 early. Unless you're insanely good at math, you're better off having an easier first year with a lot less stress.

Plus: in second year you won't get to complain and gripe about the course with your friends.. but I guess you could gloat and maybe tutor them?

If you have your heart set on it, you can get special permission from a department head and with help of a faculty advisor.. the fact that you're looking to get a head-start on your maths would pretty much make you get this permission..
Old 06-11-2010 at 04:40 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Thanks. Can you suggest any other courses that are good to get a start on?

I am hoping for Electrical and Biomedical Engineering.

Coincidently, I was just searching the forum looking for an Elec and Bio student, so I am happy you posted.

I am just curious as to what the average number of people in the program every year?
Old 06-11-2010 at 04:44 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
1. What happens if you fail a course first term that is a prerequisite for second term?

I was looking at the McMaster Timetable and I noticed that course that a prerequisite for course in the same year are not scheduled for second term.
2. Do they add these courses later on in the year?

I am not too worried about failing a course but rather if I do Headstart I am thinking about starting second year course like MATH 2Z03 (since it is a required course in most engineering level two programs).
3. Would this be possible, like could I even get a waiver from a nice professor or academic advisor?

Any answers, comments, and suggestions are welcome.
I also know the failing part is interesting to other students and the post on this forum so far don’t really give a straight answer.
I don't think there's any way you can do 2Z03 in first year, because

1. You don't meet the prereqs, which are probably 1ZA3, 1ZB3, and 1ZC3. You might have two of those done in first term, but that doesn't even matter because

2. 2Z03 is a first-term math course and won't even be offered second term.

But yeah, expanding upon rcrw88 said, unless you're exceptionally good at math to the point where you can receive some sort of AP credit for the three first-year Maths, you won't be taking 2Z03.

Sorry to be so blunt.

But to answer your first question, if you're already registered I don't think they can kick you out of the course.

Using 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 as an example, with the former being a prereq for the latter, if you fail 2Z03 you can probably still take 2ZZ3 (albeit with a higher likelihood of failing it).

This past year, I don't think we knew our 2Z03 marks until about a week into second term so at that point it's probably too late for them to tell you to gtfo.