MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 unit course.. xsanx Academics 13 04-15-2010 10:14 AM
Agreement with CAW Local 555, Unit 1 ratified saukalra MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-01-2009 12:02 AM
Dropping a 0 unit course after the Drop Deadline goodnews.inc Academics 6 09-21-2009 11:33 PM

9-unit Thesis

Old 05-28-2012 at 11:01 AM   #1
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

9-unit Thesis
Hello:

I'm going to be taking Psych 4D09 in the upcoming academic year and I was wondering how registration for this works. Which term would the thesis count as 6 units and 3 units, respectively, just so I know how many other units to register for.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done a 9-unit thesis and knows how the process works.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:16 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
Hello:

I'm going to be taking Psych 4D09 in the upcoming academic year and I was wondering how registration for this works. Which term would the thesis count as 6 units and 3 units, respectively, just so I know how many other units to register for.

I'd love to hear from someone who has done a 9-unit thesis and knows how the process works.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure how registration works for Psych... I thought there would be a form but I can't find one online. For Biology, we had to fill in a form and hand it in to get the course opened for us on SOLAR.

The 9 unit thesis was just split up equally, 4.5units per term. If you plan on "overloading" in a term I think you may need to talk to the academic advisors because SOLAR may restrict you from taking more than 18 units in a term (So 5 courses + thesis would be 19.5). Atleast that's what I overheard when I was at the academic advisors office last year.

_Mike says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-28-2012 at 11:57 AM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

Generally you first have to get permission from a supervisor. Once they contact the deptartment office (as well as you) the department office will "unlock" you in solar so you can take the course. if you haven't done so already go get a supervisor ASAP. (running late if you haven't). Not 100% if this is similar to psych but that how thesis courses work in physics.
Old 05-28-2012 at 12:00 PM   #4
sud28

Liked: 2 Times

Mike, did u apply for a supervisor in the Psych ballot we had in Jan?
Old 05-28-2012 at 05:50 PM   #5
_Mike

I got a supervisor after the ballot closed. My question is how it is broken up. I have to take 30 units next year, 9 of which are for this thesis. So if it is 4.5 each semester, does that mean that one semester i will have 15.5 units (4 courses + thesis) and the other I'd have 14.5 units (3 courses + thesis)? If that's the case, do I get to choose which semester has 15.5 units? I just need to know how many courses to pick for each semester. That's why I'm so confused.
Old 05-28-2012 at 06:06 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I got a supervisor after the ballot closed. My question is how it is broken up. I have to take 30 units next year, 9 of which are for this thesis. So if it is 4.5 each semester, does that mean that one semester i will have 15.5 units (4 courses + thesis) and the other I'd have 14.5 units (3 courses + thesis)? If that's the case, do I get to choose which semester has 15.5 units? I just need to know how many courses to pick for each semester. That's why I'm so confused.
You get to "choose" by picking courses that are in either first or second semester. It doesn't matter how many courses you pick for each semester (But I don't think you can go above 18 without "permission"), just make sure the total units is enough for you to graduate.

Old 05-28-2012 at 07:07 PM   #7
_Mike

Yep, Ms. Hollingsworth emailed me back and said that you take 12 extra units in one semester and 9 in the other, though most tend to take 9 units in term 2 because "that's when the data needs to be analyzed, the thesis written up,m and the poster created and presented."

That sucks because I have 1 course I wanna take term 1 and about 7 in term 2. -_-
Old 05-28-2012 at 07:15 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yep, Ms. Hollingsworth emailed me back and said that you take 12 extra units in one semester and 9 in the other, though most tend to take 9 units in term 2 because "that's when the data needs to be analyzed, the thesis written up,m and the poster created and presented."

That sucks because I have 1 course I wanna take term 1 and about 7 in term 2. -_-
You can still take 12 units in term 2 instead, no one is stopping you. I know a few people who did that. You just have to manage and be more productive with your time.