MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
There *is* still hope SilentWalker General Discussion 24 10-08-2010 01:46 AM
★★2nd year Commerce question★★(It says the title has to be very long in order to....) smshlyxlhl Academics 5 08-10-2010 08:59 PM
Feeling down? Need some hope? lawleypop General Discussion 14 08-22-2009 11:59 PM
Project Hope Eva C MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-03-2008 10:18 PM

★★★Questions About Minors★★★(Hope the Title is long and fancy enough to attract you)

Old 07-27-2010 at 07:13 PM   #1
smshlyxlhl

Liked: Liked 3 Times

★★★Questions About Minors★★★(Hope the Title is long and fancy enough to attract you)
Hi all

Thanks for sparing your precious time to click on this post.
Just have couple of questions about getting a minor in Ecom or Math.

1: Right now,all 2nd year required courses for getting a minor in Ecom are full. Besides checking SOLAR often for available spot, is there like a form I can fill out and send to Ecom department to require for a spot?or is there another way? One of my friends did this to get a spot in first year Japanaese course

2: Another option is to get a minor in math, I posted a thred long time ago
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=27475
regarding about the math minor, I got a 10 in 1m03, so I can bypass 1A03 and take other math courses?
the requirement to get a minor in math is here, and seems 1a03 is still required?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1599.html

Thx in Advance! Any comment is appreciated
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:18 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshlyxlhl View Post
Hi all

Thanks for sparing your precious time to click on this post.
Just have couple of questions about getting a minor in Ecom or Math.

1: Right now,all 2nd year required courses for getting a minor in Ecom are full. Besides checking SOLAR often for available spot, is there like a form I can fill out and send to Ecom department to require for a spot?or is there another way? One of my friends did this to get a spot in first year Japanaese course

2: Another option is to get a minor in math, I posted a thred long time ago
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=27475
regarding about the math minor, I got a 10 in 1m03, so I can bypass 1A03 and take other math courses?
the requirement to get a minor in math is here, and seems 1a03 is still required?
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...nt/pg1599.html

Thx in Advance! Any comment is appreciated
1. You can try to e-mail the econ department and ask for a seat. They aren't required to open on for you. Your best bet would be to continually check, I wouldn't start checking until SOLAR reopens on the 11th though.

2. Whatever it says there is most likely right. You will have to take one of those 3 courses because 1M03 doesn't count towards the minor.

smshlyxlhl says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-27-2010
Ivan Q.
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:26 PM   #3
smshlyxlhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
1. You can try to e-mail the econ department and ask for a seat. They aren't required to open on for you. Your best bet would be to continually check, I wouldn't start checking until SOLAR reopens on the 11th though.

2. Whatever it says there is most likely right. You will have to take one of those 3 courses because 1M03 doesn't count towards the minor.
Thx for the quick reply
SOLAR reopens on the 11th? This is what I have found on the school website..So I have to pay before August 10 to make changes? or the best plan is wait until august 11 8:30am and when SOLAR reopens, I start checking for available spot?
Personal Timetables released: Monday August 9
SOLAR reopens for students whose fees are cleared by August 10: Wednesday August 11 @ 830AM
SOLAR re-opens for students previously registered: Monday August 16 @12:01AM
SOLAR re-opens for all students: Tuesday August 17 @ 12:01AM
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:28 PM   #4
smshlyxlhl

But if I pay before August 10th, in that case, when I add in one more econ course later on, do I have to pay for that course again...?
Old 07-27-2010 at 07:33 PM   #5
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

Your potential math minor is more complicated than I thought. Though they may allow you to do your minor with 1M03 (not sure).

You need 3 units in 1A03, 1LS3, 1X03. So you took 1M03 and got an A-, which doesn't meet the requirements. You can't take 1A03 b/c it's "Not open to students who have achieved a grade of at least B- in MATH 1M03." You can't take 1LS3 b/c it's "Not open to students with credit or registration in ISCI 1A24, MATH 1M03, 1N03, 1X03, 1Z04, 1ZA3." Finally you can't take 1X03 either b/c you need to have "Registration in Math and Stats I."

If you plan to do a math minor, I would definitely find someone to talk to do discuss your current situation!!

Last edited by Ivan Q. : 07-27-2010 at 07:36 PM.

smshlyxlhl says thanks to Ivan Q. for this post.
Old 07-27-2010 at 08:26 PM   #6
smshlyxlhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshlyxlhl View Post
Thx for the quick reply
SOLAR reopens on the 11th? This is what I have found on the school website..So I have to pay before August 10 to make changes? or the best plan is wait until august 11 8:30am and when SOLAR reopens, I start checking for available spot?
Personal Timetables released: Monday August 9
SOLAR reopens for students whose fees are cleared by August 10: Wednesday August 11 @ 830AM
SOLAR re-opens for students previously registered: Monday August 16 @12:01AM
SOLAR re-opens for all students: Tuesday August 17 @ 12:01AM
Thx for the help Ivan. pretty give up getting a minor in math after reading your post though - - ! LMAO

Any advice about how I get a spot in 2nd year Econ course at this moment?..question is above..Thx tons
Old 07-27-2010 at 08:56 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

You don't have to pay, you just need your fees to be cleared which means accepting your payment agreement.
Old 07-27-2010 at 10:31 PM   #8
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Just lurk on SOLAR. Once August rolls around a day or two living in front of the computer will go a long way. Consider summer school, I guess.
Old 07-27-2010 at 10:45 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

PS, on the home page, it only shows:
★★★Questions About ...
and not the rest.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences