Academic Probation njd123 Academics 3 05-30-2010 10:05 PM
Academic Advisor Ruggedman Academics 2 01-21-2010 01:03 PM
Academic Transcript xo.monica Academics 7 01-20-2010 10:23 PM

Academic adviser

Old 01-09-2015 at 11:56 AM   #1
stars

Liked: 4 Times

Academic adviser
Not trying to sound rude, but how can I talk to an academic advisor instead of the front desk receptionist?
Old 01-09-2015 at 12:56 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Find out where she lives.

.. and there's also email.
Old 01-09-2015 at 03:35 PM   #3
cudizOne

Liked: 2 Times

Just go to your faculty office and ask to see an advisor. They make you fill out a quick form and then you just wait for your advisor to call you. Advising is drop-in until the beginning of next week as far as I know, so if you'd rather book an appointment you'll have to wait.
You can also try email, but I find they are way more helpful in person.
Old 01-09-2015 at 09:37 PM   #4
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
Not trying to sound rude, but how can I talk to an academic advisor instead of the front desk receptionist?
You ask the receptionist to talk to an advisor. Am i missing something here?
Old 01-09-2015 at 10:56 PM   #5
MimeMime

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
You ask the receptionist to talk to an advisor. Am i missing something here?

You are. Why not talk directly to the advisor instead of talking to a liaison first and then talking to the advisor? Makes things simpler don't you think?
Old 01-09-2015 at 11:24 PM   #6
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimeMime View Post
You are. Why not talk directly to the advisor instead of talking to a liaison first and then talking to the advisor? Makes things simpler don't you think?
Because there are multiple advisers?
Old 01-10-2015 at 01:18 AM   #7
MimeMime

Quote:
Originally Posted by topkek View Post
Because there are multiple advisers?
Except you are only looking to talk to one advisor?
Old 01-10-2015 at 10:07 AM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It's the same concept as a receptionist at a doctor's office...how to you expect an academic advisor to be able to sit down and talk with anyone when they constantly have to answer the phones and direct people coming in to the office?
Old 01-10-2015 at 01:10 PM   #9
mahendv

Liked: 0 Times

Volunteer Opporunities
a couple of times though when i've been there, and I ask the receptionist whether I could see an advisor, she asks me why, and then she just answers my questions, but sometimes I really wanted to talk to one , rather than tell the receptionist but she doesn't really give me the chance and sometimes I don't say everything I wanted to ask in front of the receptionist cause its infront of everyone, and she just says yea you don't really need to see one

Last edited by mahendv : 01-10-2015 at 01:14 PM. Reason: wrong post
Old 01-10-2015 at 08:55 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahendv View Post
a couple of times though when i've been there, and I ask the receptionist whether I could see an advisor, she asks me why, and then she just answers my questions, but sometimes I really wanted to talk to one , rather than tell the receptionist but she doesn't really give me the chance and sometimes I don't say everything I wanted to ask in front of the receptionist cause its infront of everyone, and she just says yea you don't really need to see one
Yes well it's also part of their job to "triage" and make sure people aren't making appointments and wasting the academic advisors' time for simple questions that are probably online or can easily be answered.
If you have other things you want to discuss just tell the receptionist that. You could also try calling if you don't like that it's "in front of everyone". It's booking an appointment, really not rocket science.You need to learn to be assertive enough to accomplish simple tasks rather than looking for complicated ways around them.
Old 01-12-2015 at 09:02 AM   #11
2Dream

Quote:
As everyone above has shown, no it does not make things simpler by any means. The only conclusion I could come to from this would be a fear of receptionists, but that seems a bit far fetched lol. Is the receptionist too pretty, or does she have a quality that makes her extremely unapproachable? If you dont want to talk to the liaison first, then dont talk to an academic advisor at all as you wouldnt be willing to take the necessary steps to resolve your problem:p
Old 01-12-2015 at 10:05 AM   #12
MimeMime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
As everyone above has shown, no it does not make things simpler by any means. The only conclusion I could come to from this would be a fear of receptionists, but that seems a bit far fetched lol. Is the receptionist too pretty, or does she have a quality that makes her extremely unapproachable? If you dont want to talk to the liaison first, then dont talk to an academic advisor at all as you wouldnt be willing to take the necessary steps to resolve your problem:p
Starfish has a pretty good argument. Yours makes no sense.

Last edited by MimeMime : 01-12-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2015 at 11:22 AM   #13
2Dream

Quote:
Quote:
Starfish has a pretty good argument. Yours makes no sense.
You speak of making sense, and yet you think it makes sense to do away with all receptionist/liaison staff, as they only act as an obstacle to speaking with the people they work for based on your opinions you have shown. Pot calling the kettle black here, no?
Old 01-12-2015 at 02:50 PM   #14
MimeMime

Not really, no.
Old 01-12-2015 at 03:21 PM   #15
2Dream

Quote:
Not really, no.
Please explain why it would be better to not have receptionists then. Maybe explain how the process would work for scheduling appointments without them? I know this is only one area of their duties, but as it directly applies to this thread we can at least stay somewhat on topic lol