MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tutoring activities janeller Volunteering Opportunities 7 01-06-2010 11:12 PM
Fake Extracurricular Activities? Allan General Discussion 20 10-14-2009 08:26 PM
Residence activities... xxsumz Residence & Housing 27 06-02-2009 05:38 PM
Free Gym Activities sinthusized General Discussion 1 10-27-2008 11:03 PM

Academics and Extracurricular Activities

Old 07-31-2009 at 10:24 PM   #1
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

Academics and Extracurricular Activities
Hey, I'm a full time 1st year science student with 2 bio, 2 chem, 1 physics, 1 math, 2 psych. I'm planning to join recreational instructional classes such as fencing, karate, and dance. How many of these should I do per term so that I can keep up with classes? For example, should I only do fencing in Fall/Winter, then dance in Spring, and then karate in summer (June -Aug)?? or is it do-able to have let say fencing and karate in the Fall/Winter?
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:28 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
Hey, I'm a full time 1st year science student with 2 bio, 2 chem, 1 physics, 1 math, 2 psych. I'm planning to join recreational instructional classes such as fencing, karate, and dance. How many of these should I do per term so that I can keep up with classes? For example, should I only do fencing in Fall/Winter, then dance in Spring, and then karate in summer (June -Aug)?? or is it do-able to have let say fencing and karate in the Fall/Winter?
You should test it out and see how much you can do without falling behind in your work.

With a full course load, I was still able to relax a lot and hang out with friends. But that's me, some other people find a full course load tough and are constantly studying in order to maintain/improve their grades.
Old 07-31-2009 at 10:32 PM   #3
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Yea like Jeremy said, you should test out and see what works best for you. Maybe start by one extracurricular activity at a time and if you find you have you have enough time for another one, then you can join the other activity too.
Old 07-31-2009 at 11:23 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyozooT View Post
I looked up the schedule and it seems that each class requires 2 hours of commitment per week. I think you can allocate 4 hours/week for the activities. Also if you want to get better, you should stick with them year round because you may de-train in that activity. I had the same course load and I did a one hour activity 5 X a week (in Mississauga because I commuted). I was okay (though could have done better but not because of the activity taking up time). Maybe you can test one semester and add another activity in second term if you you feel like you have time to do another activity

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-31-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:15 PM   #5
laurastevens

Liked: 2 Times

One thing you really want to be careful of is over-scheduling yourself. If you have solid committments say three times a week then during midterms or when you have a lot of assignments you'll feel like you're under a lot of pressure and have to skip them.

I would suggest just picking one and seeing how it goes for first term, and then you can add more if you want during second term. You are allowed to go to the first class for free, so you can do a test run, and see what your schedule would be like. Just keep in mind that you will get a lot busier.

You still want to leave lots of time for hanging out with friends, relaxing and studying. And if you want to join a club or team or council then you'll need to make sure that it doesn't conflict with the class you've chosen.
Old 08-01-2009 at 10:41 PM   #6
VoyozooT

Liked: 3 Times

wow thanks for the great input guys! I'll take the advice and try 1 class first in first term and see how it goes =P Thanksssssssss!!
Old 08-01-2009 at 11:31 PM   #7
mcinside
Elite Member

Liked: 23 Times

Have fun with those classes! Sounds really cool...I wish I could take up a class like that but I don't think I'll be able to balance it out with my studies :(
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:21 AM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

@mcinside:

University is in large part, about getting to know yourself. I made the mistake in my first year of devoting all my time to studying, and my grades were actually lower (and my stress levels higher) than when I had a hobby/club to attend in 2nd-4th year.

I highly recommend giving it a shot anyway. (: If you find you really can't handle it, you can always stop going right? But the point is, you can't just let your life revolve around the textbook while in university because you'll wind up unhealthy (physically, mentally and spiritually).

Good luck! (:

mcinside says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

macsci, mcinside, ~*Sara*~ like this.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:33 AM   #9
wfujarczuk

Liked: 1 Time

I would suggest going to the first meeting for everything and seeing what each class is like, then decide from there what you'd like to do.

Last year (I had the same course load as you) I did McMaster Musical Theatre (6 hrs every Sunday, then 8 hrs in second term) and I volunteered for a couple hrs/week as well, but I still managed to keep up with my work. Not going to lie, there were some stressful weeks, but I really wanted to do my extracurriculars, so I made it work. I found it really helped to write down everything in my agenda, haha.
Old 08-02-2009 at 11:55 AM   #10
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
@mcinside:

University is in large part, about getting to know yourself. I made the mistake in my first year of devoting all my time to studying, and my grades were actually lower (and my stress levels higher) than when I had a hobby/club to attend in 2nd-4th year....
I agree completely. First year, i got a B+ average not doing any extracirriculars, which isn't bad for science. When I was in uOttawa last year, I volunteered at FootPatrol (the uOttawa version of SWHAT) and I played indoor soccer while having a full course load of 8 second year science courses and a full year of first year physics. I ended up with an average between A- and A. Now the raise in marks won't happen to everyone, but like what Mowicz said, extracirriculars really cut down the stress caused by the books.
Also, I feel that committing 100% of the time to studying hampers development of studying skills, and that adding other committments forces one to manage their time better.
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:18 AM   #11
mcinside
Elite Member

Ya, I heard that from other people too- with extracurriculars and volunteering you actually get a higher grade than no activities at all..it still puzzles me how that works, but like you guys said it cuts the stress factor which really helps
Old 08-03-2009 at 12:54 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinside View Post
Ya, I heard that from other people too- with extracurriculars and volunteering you actually get a higher grade than no activities at all..it still puzzles me how that works, but like you guys said it cuts the stress factor which really helps
When you are stressed you won't be able to absorb as much. There was also tests done that show a long break after studying such as sleep helps to retain the information.
Old 08-03-2009 at 01:03 AM   #13
mcinside
Elite Member

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good amount of sleep. Honestly, 8 to 9 hours of sleep for me is a must aat least.
Old 08-03-2009 at 09:29 AM   #14
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

All you have to do is manage your time well and you'll be able to get those 8 to 9 hours of sleep. In first year I almost never got 8 hours of sleep and then last year I decided that it would help me a lot so I decided to make myself go to bed earlier and get my work done earlier and it helped a lot. I was able to stay awake during my morning classes, I was able to get my work done ahead of time and I even learned more from studying because the sleep helps you absorb information.

One piece of advice for anyone coming into first year (or any year in university lol)... never EVER write an exam on only a few hours of sleep. You would be better off to stop studying earlier and getting the sleep because then you'll actually retain the information instead of forgetting everything because you're groggy while writing.

mcinside says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-03-2009 at 10:44 AM   #15
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When you are stressed you won't be able to absorb as much. There was also tests done that show a long break after studying such as sleep helps to retain the information.
Learning, as with learning a motor skill like shooting free throws, is done best in little 'bursts.' The ideal learning environment is one where you practice/study for an hour, and take a 15 minute break. You retain more information this way.

I think they tested sets of two people, one of which studied a list of words for 4 hours straight, the other studied a list of words for a total of 4 hours, but with 15 minute intervals (so about 45 minutes at a time), and the 2nd person actually retained far more information, even though their study time only totalled 3 hours.

This is ideal, but let's face it, it never happens in practice. S:

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-03-2009 at 10:47 AM.