MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tutoring activities janeller Volunteering Opportunities 7 01-06-2010 11:12 PM
Fake Extracurricular Activities? Allan General Discussion 20 10-14-2009 08:26 PM
Academics and Extracurricular Activities VoyozooT General Discussion 16 08-04-2009 09:58 PM
Free Gym Activities sinthusized General Discussion 1 10-27-2008 11:03 PM

Residence activities...

Old 05-29-2009 at 03:00 PM   #1
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Residence activities...
Hey, was wondering, what type of activities do people usually do in their residences? Either with their floor or their entire residence?

Thanks in advance for any reply's
Old 05-29-2009 at 03:11 PM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

There are a lot of sanctioned floor events that your CA's (Community Advisors) will help organize, and they range from floor-wide games to floor-wide dinners.

As far as more unsanctioned events, people often hold parties in their room on weekends; or you could all hit the bar if you're old enough. Some people even host lan parties, if you're more inclined towards playing video games too. I'm sure you can even find study sessions for upcoming midterms as well.

Some people even host beer-pong games, but I'd keep that on the DL, as that's a pretty huge infraction.
Old 05-29-2009 at 03:12 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The CA will organize some activities. I'm sure if there is something you want to do you can ask your CA. You can also organize your own activities with your friends that you make in residence. We went to limeridge a few times, we went downtown for dinner a couple times, we had lan parties. There are a bunch of things that you can do.
Old 05-29-2009 at 04:21 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I actually found unsanctioned stuff a hell of a lot more fun when I was in res.

Some examples (of what I did)
  • Ultimate frisbee in massive mud puddles
  • Shopping cart racing
  • Various club and pub adventures
  • Incubus concert @ Copps
  • Hamilton Bulldogs game
  • Mandarin
  • Snowball fights
  • Staying up too late to see the on-campus wildlife
  • Various pickup games of soccer, football, ultimate frisbee
  • Seeing local bands play
  • Day trips to Toronto
  • Concerts in Toronto
  • Intramural team
  • Calling EFRT because someone thought they broke their tailbone and then a subsequent journey to Emerg
  • Pranking my floormates
  • Floor movies (i.e. half of our floor randomly watching a movie at 1AM on a weekday)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-29-2009 at 05:05 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Snowball fights! Nothing like them. I remember snowball fights on walks to ginos late at night. And running then sliding on the snowy street ^-^ Fun times.
Old 05-29-2009 at 05:37 PM   #6
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

You can always just knock on others' doors and get them to come out. That's what I did in my residence. I would try to grab everyone from the floor for a game of cards in the Common Room or even just to watch TV. Our floor got really close because we would all go to the Common Room to socialize, watch TV or play games.
Old 05-29-2009 at 07:24 PM   #7
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks to all that replied. I'll be sure to really enjoy myself while also working hard
Old 05-29-2009 at 09:28 PM   #8
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

Its actually nice to see that not everyone is all about getting completely shi*faced all the time. Seriously...its starting to scare me, looking at the FB groups.

I'm looking forward to rez, for sure!
Old 05-29-2009 at 09:59 PM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

The Inter-Residence Council plans a TON of events. When I planned events in Whidden last year I did Toga Parties, Improv Nights and things of the sorts. We also plan a ton of residence wide events like the Residence-Wide Formal, Graffiti Night, Talent Show, Karaoke, Bed Races and so many more. Honestly, there is ALWAYS an event happening in the residence. Always.
Old 05-29-2009 at 11:19 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMal View Post
Its actually nice to see that not everyone is all about getting completely shi*faced all the time. Seriously...its starting to scare me, looking at the FB groups.

I'm looking forward to rez, for sure!
Despite what is portrayed by the media etc not everyone does get shitfaced. I have plenty of friends who don't drink, or don't drink much, so when we hang out it's not about stumbling home and/or feeling like shit the next morning.

Lots of first year students do drink a lot, though. It's partially because it's "what everyone is supposed to do", feeling like they will be ostracized if they don't drink (which never happened to me! and if someone says you're not cool for not drinking tell them to go **** themselves and that you have a mind of your own), thinking that if you don't talk about it you're not going to have any friends. and the fact there aren't any parents telling you what to do and when.

BUT, if you do decide to drink and you're underage you have to remember you are breaking the law, and if you are caught there are consequences.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-29-2009 at 11:28 PM   #11
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

You definitely don't have to drink to have fun! You can still go to parties and not drink or perhaps drink a little (if you're of age!). Plus, it's always much better being the one laughing at all the drunk ones at the end of the day.
Old 05-30-2009 at 06:13 AM   #12
PilotMal

Liked: 30 Times

It is! Its never fun to be the babysitter though - I tend to avoid that at all costs XD

Yeah, I was just worried, looking at the amount of posts about partying on the Facebook group. It just seems like its a preoccupation with incoming first-years, like Lorend said; kinda freaky. But I'm sure they'll figure it out. Life lessons are good ^_^
Old 05-30-2009 at 10:03 AM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yup, you learn a LOT in first year...about yourself in lots of ways: socially, morally, academically etc.

Old 05-30-2009 at 12:55 PM   #14
adias

Liked: 1 Time

As far as getting together as a floor to watch TV goes, I assume Mac isn't immune from thursday night grey's anatomy vs. hockey game fights for the tv haha
Old 05-30-2009 at 01:40 PM   #15
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Well, there is one TV per floor (with the exception of Hedden and possibly Les Prince). So even if your floor is watching something you don't want, you can probably find a floor that is watching what you want and/or is unoccupied.