MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accelerated Nursing 2014 Mz.Morra13 Academics 2 04-16-2012 01:18 PM
Accelerated Nursing Program Apples555 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-12-2012 04:56 PM
Accelerated Nursing urbski Academics 7 09-09-2011 01:20 PM
Accelerated Nursing Question bernas3 Academics 9 04-29-2011 05:33 PM
BScN - Accelerated tatski-p First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 07-24-2010 07:49 PM

Accelerated Nursing Help!

Old 06-09-2012 at 09:46 PM   #1
remo12

Liked: 0 Times

Accelerated Nursing Help!
Hi everyone! I'm a second year student entering Honours Life Science in the fall. I'm really interested in the accelerated nursing program. Course selections are on Wednesday and I was just hoping if someone can advise me on whether or not these courses are good and if they can fulfill the prereqs for the program. So far I have:

- Orgo 2OA3
- Orgo 2OB3
- Biochem 2ee3
- Kin 1y03
- Kin 1yy3
- Bio 2B03 (cell bio)
- Stats 2B03
- Life Sci 2N03 (nutrition)
- Life Sci 2D03 (behaviour)
- Life Sci 2A03

My biggest concern is what courses to take if both the kin courses get full (which is very likely!) I really want to apply after my second year and there aren't any other anatomy/physiology courses that I can take (I know there is Bio 2A03 but I need 6 units).

Thanks for all your help and if anyone in the program can give my advice on admissions to the accelerated nursing program that would be awesome!
Old 06-09-2012 at 10:19 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo12 View Post
Hi everyone! I'm a second year student entering Honours Life Science in the fall. I'm really interested in the accelerated nursing program. Course selections are on Wednesday and I was just hoping if someone can advise me on whether or not these courses are good and if they can fulfill the prereqs for the program. So far I have:

- Orgo 2OA3
- Orgo 2OB3
- Biochem 2ee3
- Kin 1y03
- Kin 1yy3
- Bio 2B03 (cell bio)
- Stats 2B03
- Life Sci 2N03 (nutrition)
- Life Sci 2D03 (behaviour)
- Life Sci 2A03

My biggest concern is what courses to take if both the kin courses get full (which is very likely!) I really want to apply after my second year and there aren't any other anatomy/physiology courses that I can take (I know there is Bio 2A03 but I need 6 units).

Thanks for all your help and if anyone in the program can give my advice on admissions to the accelerated nursing program that would be awesome!
Bio 2A03, 3P03, 3U03 and 3UU3 should all satisfy the anatomy/physiology requirement, as well as possibly bio 3XL3. Alternatively, some people will take the equivalent of kin 1Y03/1YY3 online through Athabasca.
Old 06-10-2012 at 09:17 AM   #3
remo12

The only issue is that once again, I want to apply during my second year. Do you think it's a bad idea if I take one of those third year anatomy/physiology courses while I'm only in second year? Thanks for your reply!
Old 06-10-2012 at 10:44 AM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by remo12 View Post
The only issue is that once again, I want to apply during my second year. Do you think it's a bad idea if I take one of those third year anatomy/physiology courses while I'm only in second year? Thanks for your reply!
There's no reason you can't take those courses in your second year, that's why I suggested them. You just have to make sure you work it so that you have the prereq(s) first term.
Old 06-10-2012 at 03:40 PM   #5
remo12

Great, thanks so much! I'll try my best to get both kin courses, then if not I will take the third year courses.

And if there's anyone in the program once again, if you could enlighten me with hints for supplementary applications, course suggestions, tips to get into the program, and things like that it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-19-2012 at 04:35 PM   #6
tisdelae

Accel grad
Hi there,

I recently graduated from the accel nursing program at Mac. If I were you I would contact that faculty department to verify as the program is very competitive and you must have Anatomy and Physiology to qualify. I would not think that any of those courses would actually serve as a substitute for A+P.

Some of the students came from schools where they actually did a full year of each Anatomy and Physiology. I was able to get special permission/seat permission for Kin 1Y03/1YY3 when I took them - so you could try contacting the Kin department and explaining your circumstances to see if they'll let you in. Also a lot of people will be switching in/out of those courses over the next few weeks so just keep checking on SOLAR and you will probably be able to get in to them if you are diligent.

If you have any other questions about the accelerated program I could definitely try to help you, I was also a Life Sci grad in 2010 - so I have a pretty good idea of your current situation.

-Ash.
Old 08-26-2012 at 10:56 PM   #7
g.lee0926

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdelae View Post
Hi there,

I recently graduated from the accel nursing program at Mac. If I were you I would contact that faculty department to verify as the program is very competitive and you must have Anatomy and Physiology to qualify. I would not think that any of those courses would actually serve as a substitute for A+P.

Some of the students came from schools where they actually did a full year of each Anatomy and Physiology. I was able to get special permission/seat permission for Kin 1Y03/1YY3 when I took them - so you could try contacting the Kin department and explaining your circumstances to see if they'll let you in. Also a lot of people will be switching in/out of those courses over the next few weeks so just keep checking on SOLAR and you will probably be able to get in to them if you are diligent.

If you have any other questions about the accelerated program I could definitely try to help you, I was also a Life Sci grad in 2010 - so I have a pretty good idea of your current situation.

-Ash.

What was the program like? Did you think it prepared you well to become a RN or were you rushed in learning everything? Thanks!