MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accelerated Nursing urbski Academics 7 09-09-2011 01:20 PM
Program Probation? Nursing NURSEJACQUIE Academics 2 06-16-2011 12:06 PM
Accelerated Nursing Question bernas3 Academics 9 04-29-2011 05:33 PM
Faculty and Program Series Part Eight: School of Nursing niteskie MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-16-2009 05:52 AM
Switching to nursing program sanahsameen Academics 1 01-28-2009 02:10 PM

Accelerated Nursing Program

Old 04-11-2012 at 11:01 PM   #1
Apples555

Liked: 0 Times

Accelerated Nursing Program
Hi there everyone I could really use a nurses help in this program already. I really wantto join the accelerated nursing program, but I am not in the sciences. I have all the basic courses, however I really need a biochem class o complete the qualifications. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2012 at 11:33 PM   #2
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

You could take it through Athabasca? (online university).
Old 04-11-2012 at 11:35 PM   #3
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Actually, nvm, you need pre-requisites for the course they offer. I would call the Coordinator Vikki Lewis (ext 22232) and ask her for advice, see what she says.
Old 04-12-2012 at 06:32 AM   #4
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Haha, I've been in this boat for the past two years. The Nursing faculty may let you take ONE of their biochem courses if you have a high enough average and ask nicely, you'd just be competing with other people who want to take it and may have higher averages/a better science background than you.

In regard to the second biochemistry you don't have that option from the Nursing faculty or from the Biochemistry department of Sciences. In order to take a biochem here/through athabasca you need two first year chemistries and both organic chemistries. You will not be able to get special permission to take one without background chem and organic chem, many people have attempted and they will not budge.

You need TWO biochem courses in order to get into accelerated nursing at McMaster

Basically, unless you're willing to do an entire summer of strictly science courses or an entire school year then Mac Acclerated is not for you. There are other schools in Ontario that do not require biochemistry to enter in their accelerated nursing programs including U of T.

And yes, I'm a decent source. I've been attempting to get these pre-reqs in order since first year and have spoken to Vicki Lewis and other members of the nursing department in regard to this.
Old 04-12-2012 at 06:39 AM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

By the way, do you already have statistics (one that is considered an equivalent to the pre-req), 6 units of psychology and 6 units of anatomy and physiology? Because those are pre-reqs for most other schools as well.
Old 04-12-2012 at 10:03 AM   #6
s2ML

Liked: 8 Times

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/educa... scnaccel.html

i don't know if this helps, but the requirements for getting into the accelerated nursing program at mac has changed slightly. instead of having 6 units of biochem, 3 units of it can be nutrition i.e. Life Sci 2N03 and i believe the only prerequisites for that course is BIOLOGY 1A03 and registration in Level II or above. oh, and i asked vicki about this information so yeah

Mz.Morra13 likes this.
Old 04-12-2012 at 04:56 PM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ML View Post
http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/nursing/educa... scnaccel.html

i don't know if this helps, but the requirements for getting into the accelerated nursing program at mac has changed slightly. instead of having 6 units of biochem, 3 units of it can be nutrition i.e. Life Sci 2N03 and i believe the only prerequisites for that course is BIOLOGY 1A03 and registration in Level II or above. oh, and i asked vicki about this information so yeah
Huh. That's a bit bothersome that they didn't bother to mention this when I spoke to them in November, I would've taken nutrition this semester then, eek.

Thanks!