MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accounting Major/Specialization MrSmith First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 12-12-2009 08:59 PM

Accounting at McMaster

Old 04-23-2010 at 10:32 AM   #31
Victor K

Liked: 0 Times

I'm personally pursuing the Finance stream but here are my two cents:

During first year I was steaming mad that most of my classes were social sciences classes. I honestly felt as if I got accepted into the social science program rather than commerce.

Now, as I complete my second year in the commerce program, I couldn't be happier that I took geography and two political science classes. These classes really opened my eyes to other academic disciplines.

Overall I really feel that I'm more well rounded than my friends at other universities who took commerce courses and started learning Marketing and Finance during their first year while I was writing essays on political theories.
Old 04-23-2010 at 10:42 AM   #32
sniderj
Elite Member

Liked: 177 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor K View Post
I'm personally pursuing the Finance stream but here are my two cents:

During first year I was steaming mad that most of my classes were social sciences classes. I honestly felt as if I got accepted into the social science program rather than commerce.

Now, as I complete my second year in the commerce program, I couldn't be happier that I took geography and two political science classes. These classes really opened my eyes to other academic disciplines.

Overall I really feel that I'm more well rounded than my friends at other universities who took commerce courses and started learning Marketing and Finance during their first year while I was writing essays on political theories.
I respect your opinion, and am not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying in my situation, I feel like I've wasted a lot of time taking these nonsense electives. And if it was just first year that was like that, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's every damn year.

2nd Year: 1 Non-Commerce Elective
3rd Year: 3 Non-Commerce Electives
4th Year: 3 Non-Commerce Electives
Total (Not including 1st year): 7 Non-Commerce Electives

With those 7 wastes of time gone, an accounting student could easily make up the 2 credits that they must be "ahead" by currently, as well as take the 3 advanced accounting electives during their degree, instead of in the summer.

As far as I'm concerned, the non-commerce elective thing is a way to force us to take more courses than we really need, and rob us of more money.
Old 04-26-2010 at 11:18 AM   #33
vi3tgurl

for the cma do you have to overload in your 3rd year? or is that only for the ca
Old 04-26-2010 at 06:36 PM   #34
sniderj
Elite Member

I don't think you have to overload... CMA doesn't require Law or Accounting Theory (I think), so you should be able to accomplish it without overloading.
Old 04-27-2010 at 12:14 PM   #35
kiiwii

i have a question....
does it mean I cant take summer school this year ?
I just finished all my 1st year exams... and it seems tht for summer school, i cant take any 2nd year level commerce plus econ courses because i just completed my micro final exam ytd. im so lost.
Old 04-27-2010 at 05:53 PM   #36
sniderj
Elite Member

I took some summer school courses the summer after 1st year. I had to get a waiver of the requirements from the APO, as I hadn't technically finished Commerce 1, but they allowed me to take 2AA3 in summer school.