MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Selection Confusion Flintstone Academics 1 06-14-2010 04:49 AM
OSAP Confusion !? Ruggedman General Discussion 8 01-23-2009 03:30 PM
Electives Confusion!!! ishk33 Academics 6 07-01-2008 09:27 PM
Course Picking & Confusion Sync Academics 2 05-12-2008 10:50 AM

Acronym confusion..n some more bout timetables..

Old 08-12-2008 at 04:45 PM   #1
Richa

Liked: 11 Times

Acronym confusion..n some more bout timetables..
hey..looking at my timetable it states too many acronyms each for some designated building...but i hav no idea wat each of them mean..plz..it would be nice if someone could help on this one..
CNH 104
MDCL 1110
BSB 147
BSB B115----> y do i have a "B" here again?:S
PC 154
ABB 102
ABB 122A----> y an "A" here?
JHE 264
PC 154
ITB 137?
LS B130E---->wat's LS?..life science?

...plus are dese buildings far or something?
cuz on thursdays i hav a straight shift from 9:30 to 17:20 wid no break! ..though it says EOW..not sure out of 3 continuous EOW classes if all of them lie on same week or different ones..anyone can help on dat one?
n the classes on thursday go like dis..
MDCL 1110
BSB 147
BSB 214
BSB 117A
ABB 122A
The thing the worry here is abt MDCL to BSB and BSB to ABB..so how long does it take?

also while i was looking for my books i found dat my PHYSICS1B03 prof is not specified..so wat bout the section where it says Nejat?..do i get the book from dat prof?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Minnie : 08-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2008 at 05:17 PM   #2
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

Hi Minnie! it's good to get those pocket maps of the campus and it tells you where all the bldings are plus their acronyms. Heres a link with all the acronyms for the buildings http://www.mcmaster.ca/welcome/campusmap.cfm.

BSB B115 - B is for Basement
ABB 122A - not 100% sure but I think it might just be how the room number is labelled (someone correct me please )

All of those bldngs you listed are fairly close to one another, except for CNH which is on the other side of campus unfortunately, compared to all the other ones. ...and MDCL is across BSB soo it should just be a 3-4 min walk and your classes after are all in the same blding yay! And ABB is behind BSB..soo again not that long of a walk.

And Nejat might be listed on the titles website because he/she might be the course coordinator soo he/she probably submitted the book list to titles. Generally, first years use the same book for all the sections. The book should apply to you too even tho the prof listed isnt yours. Best of luck!!

Last edited by #Eng. : 08-12-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Richa says thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 05:23 PM   #3
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

# Eng answered most of it..

your EOW classes, you won't know when you will have what until you get to see the course outline or hwen oyu go to class and they annouce it! If you realise you have it all the same week. then try going on solar and keep changing it during the first week of school before those actually start!! Hopefully you will get lucky and be able to switch, if not, then there isn't much that can be done. just have to go through it and prioritize your work so you don't get crammed during those days.

Richa says thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 05:56 PM   #4
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

The ABB 122a is just a room number, no wories, I've been there before.

You can go between almost any two buildings in 10 minutes. It's a bit of a hike between the arts quad (CNH, TSH, ect) and some of the buildings on the other side, like ITB and ABB, but it can be done.

Plus, there is 0 shame in asking where a building is. EVERYbody gets lost first couple of days ^_^

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 08-12-2008 at 06:59 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

AH! Yes, getting lost. AH!

Funny story:
In my first year Burke Science Building didn't have a sign that said it's name on it until halfway through the year. On the building itself it says Physical Sciences Building. So here I am with my little campus map walking around going "wtf!"

I walked around the building 4 times before I gathed up the nerve to ask someone. PLEASE, just ask an upper year, it will make your life easier. We won't laugh, promise. Unless you call Mary Keyes "Mary Keys" and then I might smirk. But no giggles, I promise!

Arslan142 says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 08-12-2008 at 07:11 PM   #6
Richa

thanks kokosas!..lol..dat was some encouraging story!..will keep ur advice!

ooh n i looked at the map!..ABB is surely 2 far!...n how much time does it take apprx to walk from hedden hall to ABB?..cuz dey seem to be on the extremes of the campus!

Last edited by Minnie : 08-12-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2008 at 07:12 PM   #7
pinkshuniza

ahhahaha
i always call it Mary Keys..
damn..
LOL
Old 08-12-2008 at 07:34 PM   #8
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
thanks kokosas!..lol..dat was some encouraging story!..will keep ur advice!

ooh n i looked at the map!..ABB is surely 2 far!...n how much time does it take apprx to walk from hedden hall to ABB?..cuz dey seem to be on the extremes of the campus!
The campus map looks a lot bigger than the campus is. For some reason they put large spaces and 'shrubbery' in there where it isn't. From Hedden to ABB? 10-15 depending on how you walk.

You'll perfect the speed walk across campus. Cubit is one of my room mates and in first year she had to do the ITB/ABB run to TSH/CNH, at class change every day she had to make that run I would see her darting through the crowd like a woman on a mission. She's a good power walker lol, you can get tips from her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkshuniza View Post
ahhahaha
i always call it Mary Keys..
damn..
LOL
It sounds more like Ki-es. But don't worry, people who live there don't even know how to say it until the end of Welcome Week. Apparently people screw up Hedden too, calling it Heedin instead. *shrug* lol

Last edited by kokosas : 08-12-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2008 at 07:53 PM   #9
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

i'm a pretty slow walker.. from les prince to abb would take me 15 minutes.
if you're at hedden then you will prb get there in 12-13min. its not really that far. Just make sure you start getting to know the short cuts and where there are doors on each side of hte building, then you will definately save some time too!

becareful of the side walk between bsb and jhe that you would take to get to ABB... when it rains... its a massive puddle...i avoid it when it rains.. you can always cut through buildings!
Old 08-12-2008 at 08:10 PM   #10
Richa

ooh yeah will hav to learn the new roads n routes quickly..but i doubt it'll be dat easy!
..ooh n do the profs not allow u 2 enter if u r even a minute late?..
n wat must i do in the first week where on tuesday i hav 2 classes in the same box with EOW's for both of them..
it goes like this:

EOW
BIOLOGY 1AO3 T13
LS B130E
14:30-15:20
EOW
BIOLOGY 1A03 L13
BSB 213
14:30-17:20

am i in trouble on the first day itself?!:S *panic!
Old 08-12-2008 at 08:17 PM   #11
pinkshuniza

eow means every other week,
so you go to the lab one week
and then the tutorial the other..
don't worry, the prof will explain it to you on the first day of school =)
Old 08-12-2008 at 08:29 PM   #12
mandee08

Liked: 1 Time

how about PC ?
does that mean the lectures are online?
like.. PC as in computer? :S lol...
because i cant think of any buildings on campus that can be abbreviated to PC. at least i dont think so..
Old 08-12-2008 at 08:34 PM   #13
pinkshuniza

to be honest, i have no idea what PC is.. from what I think, it should be online lectures..
but maybe someone else can provide you with better feedback, and let us both know
Old 08-12-2008 at 08:47 PM   #14
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandee08 View Post
how about PC ?
does that mean the lectures are online?
like.. PC as in computer? :S lol...
because i cant think of any buildings on campus that can be abbreviated to PC. at least i dont think so..
Psychology Complex aka the psych building

Old 08-12-2008 at 08:48 PM   #15
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
ooh yeah will hav to learn the new roads n routes quickly..but i doubt it'll be dat easy!
..ooh n do the profs not allow u 2 enter if u r even a minute late?..
n wat must i do in the first week where on tuesday i hav 2 classes in the same box with EOW's for both of them..
it goes like this:

EOW
BIOLOGY 1AO3 T13
LS B130E
14:30-15:20
EOW
BIOLOGY 1A03 L13
BSB 213
14:30-17:20

am i in trouble on the first day itself?!:S *panic!
labs and tutorials for biology and chemistry dont start on the first week of classes, so you wont have to go then. they will tell you on the first day of class when the labs and tutorials will start. when i took biology you had to do a few "skills labs" before you actually started the real labs...but that might be different this year im not sure.

Quote:
Funny story:
In my first year Burke Science Building didn't have a sign that said it's name on it until halfway through the year. On the building itself it says Physical Sciences Building. So here I am with my little campus map walking around going "wtf!"
lol the same thing happened to me!! i was so confused until i asked someone haha