MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
advice from chemical engineers needed Mike.yoh Academics 11 09-24-2014 08:17 AM
Hi from an old alumni! tanmanwayne Introduce Yourself 1 10-29-2012 04:05 PM
Residence Wish list Undergrads Fall 2010 RyanK Residence & Housing 4 04-27-2010 11:14 PM
engineers-advice neeeded nikJ Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:36 PM
York U Hunting for Undergrads lorend Academics 23 06-24-2009 03:23 PM

Advice from alumni engineers or knowledgeable undergrads !!!!

Old 09-28-2014 at 08:03 PM   #16
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

As we all know, adaptation is ALWAYS wrong. So, please for the love of Jesus, donot get into Management. It is just that those who have done it know it is useless, and just wanna have others bear the same burden as them.

It is like the devil(Management people), who wants to drag everyone to hell as he is going there anyways.
Old 09-28-2014 at 10:10 PM   #17
RSK1

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.yoh View Post
That's quieter interesting, so they specifically desired students in management. Mind sharing the details of your coop, the company, where you worked, tasks etc.. And also what year are you in and have you received full time job offers ? If you have, do any reflect the benefits of management.

I, like you, enjoy business courses but I mean I find a lot of fields interesting so interest isn't quite the issue for me. Really, I just want to know if there's an eventual return on the investment.

Thanks for your feedback so far been very helpful
I worked at a multinational power generation company. They do a lot of hydro, nuclear, and solar projects. So my department was more on the business side of the operation; however, it did require technical knowledge associated with electrical engineering. A lot of the applicants were either straight from engineering or straight from commerce, and I was chosen because I have a knowledge in both. I did design a program for the department, which utilized a lot of the technical skills I developed from engineering. I also had constant communication with clients regarding project specifics and pricing issues.

Here is one thing I learned from the co-op experience primarily from talking to numerous professionals in the field: there are only so many engineering positions. Everyone who graduates from university with an engineering degree cannot expect to get a straight engineering job, there is just not that high of a demand and too large of a supply. Chances are most engineering graduates will end up doing a job which incorporates both business and engineering, whether that be in proposals, supply chain, project management, sales, marketing, or even engineering itself requires communication and business knowledge.
(Again, this is not something I think or believe, this is based on what I was told from professional engineers who have 10+ years experience in the field)

I didn't get offered a full time position because I still have 3 years left in university before I graduate, but I did receive another co-op offer to come back.

The biggest advantage I find management gives me is the opportunity to learn and experience different subjects and roles. I prefer to do co-ops in the summers because I try to work at different companies or different departments just to see what really interests me and what am I good at. Management gives me that extra summer along with awareness of all these other roles engineers can have in various companies. Again that's just my preference and opinion.
Old 09-28-2014 at 10:46 PM   #18
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

why is a first year ralts who buys stolen goods talkin like he knows management. give my friends bike back btw.
Old 09-30-2014 at 12:31 PM   #19
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralts40 View Post
stuff

Old 09-30-2014 at 04:08 PM   #20
ralts40
Account Locked

Liked: 3 Times

Oh, now that is how it is going down, huh? Just cuz I am first year I am the dumbest one here?
Old 09-30-2014 at 04:11 PM   #21
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Oh, now that is how it is going down, huh? Just cuz I am first year I am the dumbest one here?
No. Not just because you're a first year.

adaptation likes this.
Old 10-01-2014 at 10:10 AM   #22
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
No. Not just because you're a first year.

Just remember starfish, roughly one in every four first year engineering students dont make it to second year. Here's hoping hes the one
Old 10-01-2014
ralts40
This message has been removed by a moderator. .