MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chemical Engineering Advice adeelb Academics 4 09-07-2011 05:03 PM
Timetable & Course Advice Needed Sonnet Academics 2 08-22-2010 11:29 PM
engineers-advice neeeded nikJ Academics 2 04-02-2010 01:36 PM
ADVICE NEEDED ..help neen23 Academics 7 11-25-2009 12:18 AM
A piece of advice needed!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-07-2008 10:44 PM

advice from chemical engineers needed

Old 09-20-2014 at 08:49 PM   #1
Mike.yoh

Liked: 0 Times

advice from chemical engineers needed
Hey everyone,
So this is my second year at mac but first year in engineering because I switched in from life science after first year, as a result a bunch of my credits transferred and I was thinking of taking measurements 2l03 next semester and was hoping someone could comment on things like difficulty, if it builds on anything taught in other chem E courses, and how time consuming the course is.

And if you guys and girls want to comment or leave any advice regarding Chem E at mac (classes to watch out for, compare/contrast the two streams, or anything at all) , you are more than welcome and it's appreciated.

Much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2014 at 09:30 PM   #2
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Dont worry, you have not missed anything from first year except may be Materials eng... but that is super easy. They only start teaching "chem eng" content starting second year.

2i03 should be pretty easy! it does not really draw on any prior concepts, may be some basic stats is all you really need... its been a while since i took this class, although i am certain it hasn't changed very much

Course to watch out for:
4G
3G
3E
stats 3y
Old 09-20-2014 at 10:01 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

thermo can also be rough cause the profs are terrible
Old 09-21-2014 at 12:03 PM   #4
Mike.yoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Dont worry, you have not missed anything from first year except may be Materials eng... but that is super easy. They only start teaching "chem eng" content starting second year.

2i03 should be pretty easy! it does not really draw on any prior concepts, may be some basic stats is all you really need... its been a while since i took this class, although i am certain it hasn't changed very much

Course to watch out for:
4G
3G
3E
stats 3y
Yea taking stats right now, pretty fast paced, can you comment on which of the two streams (pse pmm) are more applicable in industry or if it really matters at all.
Old 09-21-2014 at 12:06 PM   #5
Mike.yoh

Another question, if someone could comment on the job market for chem E's not restricted to canada either. Everywhere i look job growth and job postings for chem E's are scarce compared to other feilds of eng.
Old 09-21-2014 at 12:08 PM   #6
Mike.yoh

Yea that's what I've been hearing for a lot of chem E courses, bad profs and poor organization
Old 09-21-2014 at 06:57 PM   #7
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

I can't comment on 2I03 as I haven't taken it in many years and has likely changed since then but I'm surprised at the comments saying the department is disorganized, I thought the complete opposite during my time at Mac.

As for the job market I don't think its overly scarce, if anything I wouldnt limit yourself to just something that is listed as "Chem Eng". There is plenty of other opportunities out there for you to grow as a professional. I'm currently working at a company that manufactures soft gel drugs but am not really doing anything "Chemical Engineering" but actually a whole mix of everything.

Mike.yoh likes this.
Old 09-21-2014 at 11:34 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.yoh View Post
Yea that's what I've been hearing for a lot of chem E courses, bad profs and poor organization

Who the hell has been feeding you this misguiding ?

The only time i found a bit of disorganization was 3rd year thermo, but that was it! Otherwise the program is quite concrete and professors are doing an excellent job creating a robust program with most of the skills we need, especially people in our department like Kevin Dunn, La Tulippe ...

Although in the last 2 years, there has been a bit of re-organization of courses and new profs, but those are growing pains. End of one era and into the next.

As Defroster said, DO NOT LIMIT yourself to chem eng jobs specifically! The skills you learn as a "chemical engineer" can be applied to a wide variety of engineering scenario just like mech eng.

Chemical engineering is a very misleading term, more over it should be called process engineering. As for which stream is more applicable Process >> polymers... but honestly, i dont think it matters at all at the end of the day. After all, the PSE and PPM distinction only shows on ur transcript -_-

Mike.yoh likes this.
Old 09-22-2014 at 06:44 PM   #9
Mike.yoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defroster View Post
I can't comment on 2I03 as I haven't taken it in many years and has likely changed since then but I'm surprised at the comments saying the department is disorganized, I thought the complete opposite during my time at Mac.

As for the job market I don't think its overly scarce, if anything I wouldnt limit yourself to just something that is listed as "Chem Eng". There is plenty of other opportunities out there for you to grow as a professional. I'm currently working at a company that manufactures soft gel drugs but am not really doing anything "Chemical Engineering" but actually a whole mix of everything.
Oh I see I see, mind sharing the official title of your job ? And maybe your day to day tasks
Old 09-22-2014 at 06:50 PM   #10
Mike.yoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
Who the hell has been feeding you this misguiding ?

The only time i found a bit of disorganization was 3rd year thermo, but that was it! Otherwise the program is quite concrete and professors are doing an excellent job creating a robust program with most of the skills we need, especially people in our department like Kevin Dunn, La Tulippe ...

Although in the last 2 years, there has been a bit of re-organization of courses and new profs, but those are growing pains. End of one era and into the next.

As Defroster said, DO NOT LIMIT yourself to chem eng jobs specifically! The skills you learn as a "chemical engineer" can be applied to a wide variety of engineering scenario just like mech eng.

Chemical engineering is a very misleading term, more over it should be called process engineering. As for which stream is more applicable Process >> polymers... but honestly, i dont think it matters at all at the end of the day. After all, the PSE and PPM distinction only shows on ur transcript -_-
Oh wow well that's good to know, and any additional advice about the program or the profession please feel free, I'd love to hear your opinion
Old 09-22-2014 at 08:43 PM   #11
Defroster

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.yoh View Post
Oh I see I see, mind sharing the official title of your job ? And maybe your day to day tasks
My official job title is "Project Engineer" and my day to day activities can really vary. Basically I provide the engineering input on any projects our company involved in. I've been here a year and have worked on things like multi-million dollar building renovations, purchasing new manufacturing equipment.

Basically I translate a manufacturing need into a equipment specification, seek out vendors to provide that equipment, and then draft and execute inspections on the equipment once it arrives on site.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 09-24-2014 at 08:17 AM   #12
Mike.yoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defroster View Post
My official job title is "Project Engineer" and my day to day activities can really vary. Basically I provide the engineering input on any projects our company involved in. I've been here a year and have worked on things like multi-million dollar building renovations, purchasing new manufacturing equipment.

Basically I translate a manufacturing need into a equipment specification, seek out vendors to provide that equipment, and then draft and execute inspections on the equipment once it arrives on site.

Hope that answers your question.
Now that sounds pretty rewarding, I'm guessing it compensates quite well ?