MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Humanities course selection advice amare Academics 8 05-30-2012 05:21 PM
Are you in Humanities? Do you have friends in Humanities? De La Soul Academics 2 03-05-2012 10:49 PM
Humanities Course steve315 Academics 2 08-07-2011 05:58 PM
What do you want from a Humanities/Soc Sci TA lorend Academics 22 08-12-2010 07:59 AM
Humanities luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-17-2010 06:25 AM

Advice on Neurosciences vs Humanities

Members have rated post #397317 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 12-03-2013 at 06:03 PM   #1
EvgeniMalkin

Liked: 6 Times

Advice on Neurosciences vs Humanities
Hey everyone,
I have a high 80s to early 90s average right now and I plan on taking neurosciences.. can anybody let me know if they're enjoying the program so far?
And also, I've been hearing negative comments about the humanities and arts programs, could you please list as many of these condescending ideas associated with the humanities as possible?
Humanities entry is like a 75 average isn't it?
And so, many people are assuming it is "for dumber individuals who could not get into sciences". I will be going into the sciences at Mac next year, but as for the humanities, I'm trying to find this info for a good friend of mine who hopes to share residence with me. If you could please be honest as this is the key question - how do other students view the humanities students? After all, it is a science university.. there is definitely a negative stigma towards the arts and humanities. And yes, I'm aware that it doesn't matter what others think, but still, it is interesting to know.

Last edited by EvgeniMalkin : 12-03-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2013 at 06:50 PM   #2
Suspect

Liked: 61 Times

It does matter what others think, ours is a social race. My engineering roommates think anyone in the humanities and social sciences is stupid. We rarely talk now.

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 07:36 PM   #3
BrownTown993

I'm in Commerce and I get ripped on every now and then by my Eng and Science roommates. I'd say humanities kids get it the worse though. No matter what program you're in there are bound to be a few people that will be jackasses and rip on you.

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 07:38 PM   #4
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

If you are interested in both Humanities and Science, then this program might be a good fit: http://artsci.os.mcmaster.ca /prospective-students

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 08:02 PM   #5
EvgeniMalkin

Re
It really saddens me to see my bud feeling kind of down. People are attacking each other and cussing each other out for being in the humanities program. It's like a hot shot type of ego that consumes them simply because they are taking science. I am going to be taking neuroscience, but I hope my attitude towards the faculty of arts and humanities does not become condescending. Science is nothing without abstract perspective of the humanities, and the humanities are nothing without the universal truths of science. Why can't people realize the importance of both.

Last edited by EvgeniMalkin : 12-03-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2013 at 08:03 PM   #6
EvgeniMalkin

That is sad.
Old 12-03-2013 at 08:06 PM   #7
EvgeniMalkin

*sigh* people's attitudes are disappointing. Humanities have produced great writers, lawyers, psychologists and teachers to name a few. Without them, where would the world be, right?
Old 12-03-2013 at 08:50 PM   #8
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

This is so sad. You can get many jobs from the Humanities faculty not just the sciences. Actually parts of humanities and social science has some science involved in it. For example, Linguistics, Geography and Psychology...

Although, I heard from my linguistics professor that a student is doing a study about how students in the humanities have a lower IQ than the science students. *sigh*
Old 12-03-2013 at 08:56 PM   #9
EvgeniMalkin

Re:
Oh that's just terrible.
Creates more of a weird stigma, makes the humanities look less wise. How awful. Where is this guy, I will talk some sense into his square science head. (p.s kidding).
But seriously, that's so condescending to them.
Some of the "sciences people" have such an arrogant attitude, I mean come on, they need to realize that a shit ton of people in the humanities and social sciences have a 90+ average
MATH isn't everything. It's crucial for anyone going into medical schools, but realistically, medical school is often glamorized.
It is heavy work and half the students who want to become doctors actually cannot handle all the blood and dead bodies they will see, and so, only a select few will actually become professional doctors. It's funny, it's just funny, why do they bother putting the humanities down, how closed minded, without the humanities the world would not be the society it is today, same for sciences, they need each other. people need to take their heads outta their asses and Stop hating

Last edited by EvgeniMalkin : 12-03-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2013 at 09:15 PM   #10
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

I honestly believe that it's not about the faculty someone is in, but why they are in that faculty. From personal observation only, I have found that a lot of humanities and social sciences students (more-so for social science) are from the Hamilton area, and chose McMaster because it's local, their friends are going, want to be able to go to college/university and have a good time, and because they are not difficult programs to get accepted into. Personally, I have absolutely nothing against someone (regardless of faculty) who comes to McMaster to study something that genuinely interests them. On the other hand, I have no-so-positive opinions of the students that I earlier described, as I find these students tend to party way more, care less about academics, and aren't always representative of the kind of image the institution wants to show off.

If your friend is interested in arts and humanities, then don't let others' opinions influence their decision. Generally speaking, the humanities program is not quite as difficult as some faculties such as engineering or life sciences, but that doesn't mean there isn't so much to learn from these programs. There are some great educators at McMaster, including within the humanities faculty. Although bias, I think McMaster is a great choice for a post-secondary education.

Best of luck and hope to see you both next year!

EvgeniMalkin says thanks to Commie42 for this post.

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 09:35 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

There is no undergraduate program called Neuroscience. It's Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour, and it's a second year program, you don't apply to it from high school. You can enter from first year social science/humanities or from first year science programs such as life science. You need the same mark to get in either way. In PNB, we take literally the same required courses whether we're from the science background or the arts background. Our available courses cover a broad range of topics from neuroanatomy, animal behaviour to social psychology. Sometimes our science PNBers find the social side more interesting, and social science PNBers sometimes find the science side more interesting. We're one integrated program and background isn't important.

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 09:46 PM   #12
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie42 View Post
Generally speaking, the humanities program is not quite as difficult as some faculties such as engineering or life sciences, but that doesn't mean there isn't so much to learn from these programs.
I take issue with this statement because you need to define "difficult". For me as a science student, I would find it difficult to read 5 novels and write 4 long papers in a month, and that's the level of work expected for just ONE humanities course usually. For someone studying math & stats, maybe they find doing math problems easy, while an arts student could find that difficult.

The reason engineering and science are typically dubbed to be "harder" is because they have an increased workload in terms of units and time spent in labs. But what if you put an engineer into a course that required a lot of paper writing and readings? Do you think the engineer would find it "easy"? I don't think so. People pick their programs based on what they enjoy and that's usually what you find easiest. why pick on humanities students for that?

Besides, during the year I entered university, the average to get into eng was the same as for commerce and lower than life science. Entrance averages tell you absolutely NOTHING about difficulty, just about how many people are competing to get into the program.

Last edited by anon491 : 12-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.

EvgeniMalkin likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 10:10 PM   #13
EvgeniMalkin

finally, someone who sees past the numbers

anon491 likes this.
Old 12-03-2013 at 10:20 PM   #14
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvgeniMalkin View Post
finally, someone who sees past the numbers
lol, thanks.

I used to be one of those people in first year who looked down on humanities students, but I entered PNB and discovered that I, as a science student, actually wasn't too keen on the neuroscience aspect of PNB, was more interested in the social psychology and behaviour side. And that's totally okay. It's important to keep an open mind, get exposed to different things and do what you like, and you can't do that when you're judging other people.
Old 12-03-2013 at 10:21 PM   #15
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 133 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
I take issue with this statement because you need to define "difficult". For me as a science student, I would find it difficult to read 5 novels and write 4 long papers in a month, and that's the level of work expected for just ONE humanities course usually. For someone studying math & stats, maybe they find doing math problems easy, while an arts student could find that difficult.

The reason engineering and science are typically dubbed to be "harder" is because they have an increased workload in terms of units and time spent in labs. But what if you put an engineer into a course that required a lot of paper writing and readings? Do you think the engineer would find it "easy"? I don't think so. People pick their programs based on what they enjoy and that's usually what you find easiest. why pick on humanities students for that?

Besides, during the year I entered university, the average to get into eng was the same as for commerce and lower than life science. Entrance averages tell you absolutely NOTHING about difficulty, just about how many people are competing to get into the program.
Totally agree with you. I personally would struggle with reading novels and writing long essays. I'm just saying that based on personal observation, students who are in humanities tend to not not have as hard of a time going through their programs as say an engineering student. However, like I said, this is a generalized statement and not true for everyone.