MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Elective Suggestions? jamescw1234 Academics 1 05-28-2011 07:58 PM
Computer build [Suggestions???] kevinf Gaming 4 06-23-2009 07:58 PM
Game suggestions The_Silencer Gaming 11 11-24-2008 02:39 PM
Suggestions for MacInsiders 2007! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-02-2006 02:52 PM

Advice/Suggestions ?

Old 05-31-2011 at 12:17 AM  
Vuci
magnus

Liked: 0 Times

Advice/Suggestions ?

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 05-31-2011 at 12:29 AM   #1
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I am sorry if this is gonna put you down or anything. I don't mean anything. But I hate to see you waste your time.

Med school is not for everybody, yes these are only first year marks etc etc all that jazz. I just want you to always have a second plan incase this one fails. Apply to med school but don't have your hopes really up.

Again sorry.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:34 AM   #2
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Work hard, get your average up to a 10 and apply for the accelerated nursing program.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:40 AM   #3
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

when u think abt med or grad school, u r wasting ur time. whats gonna get u there is hard work and determination, not calculating ur mark after every assessment and getting that feeling of sinking / doubting whether u will make it to med school...

if u wanna make it to med school, stop thinking abt it. get the marks and experience, and develop the personality required of a med school applicant...

and as other ppl have mentioned, always have a back-up plan...

and there is no such thing as a realistic GPA in my personal opinion...i calculated my potential GPAs many times over the course of the year, and i WASTED precious time and my FINAL REAL GPA was no where close to the REALISTIC GPA I had hoped to get. so stop wasting ur time thinking abt future when u r not prepared to fix ur present condition.

Old 05-31-2011 at 12:44 AM   #4
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

First off ignore McMaster, calculate using the OMSAS 4.0 scale for med school.

You have options for med including the states, overseas or even in Canada where schools such as Western, U of T, Ottawa and Queens have GPA weighting formulas.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:44 AM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I agree with epikness' post. Instead of wasting your time calculating your potential GPA, work hard and look at how you can change things around to get your GPA up. Also, there are schools like Queens which look at the GPA from your final two years only.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 05-31-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:52 AM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I agree with epikness' post. Instead of wasting your time calculating your potential GPA, work hard and look at how you can change things around to get your GPA up. Also, there are schools like Western which look at the GPA from your final two years only.
Western is best two years, I believe Queen's is final two.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to arathbon for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:03 AM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Oh right. Thanks for the correction
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:10 AM   #8
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

I also have to agree with a previous post. Don't just freak out and get panicky after every assessment period. Focus on what you did that got you to the point you are today (hard work? determination?) and continue doing that, and you'll be just fine.
Old 05-31-2011 at 01:15 AM   #9
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Yeah, beyond what other's have said about the different weighting methods that school use, you should also consider putting a big emphasis on what you do beyond you GPA. I know people who have got into med school with medicore marks, but had amazing community or research experience. Work hard, and don't lose hope (but also always have a back up plan too )

Old 05-31-2011 at 06:05 AM   #10
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

sounding a bit like a broken record, but I can say from personal experience don't let your thoughts consume you, your on a one way street to being prescribed cymbalta (for anxiety) like i did. Remain level headed and you'll be just fine.

And there are plenty of fulfilling careers outside of medicine, which require you to sacrifice a lot of your life.
Old 05-31-2011 at 08:04 AM   #11
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

hey vuci, check out www.premed101.com/forums - its a whole bunch of canadian sucessful med school applicants and premed they give realy good advice.

Dont freak out, its not the end of the world, you still got a good shot!
Goodluck

Vuci says thanks to Buddastotle for this post.
Old 05-31-2011 at 11:55 AM   #12
Vuci
magnus

@ Commie8507: Thanks for the idea. Will look into that
Old 05-31-2011 at 11:59 AM   #13
Vuci
magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by epikness View Post
when u think abt med or grad school, u r wasting ur time. whats gonna get u there is hard work and determination, not calculating ur mark after every assessment and getting that feeling of sinking / doubting whether u will make it to med school...

if u wanna make it to med school, stop thinking abt it. get the marks and experience, and develop the personality required of a med school applicant...

and as other ppl have mentioned, always have a back-up plan...

and there is no such thing as a realistic GPA in my personal opinion...i calculated my potential GPAs many times over the course of the year, and i WASTED precious time and my FINAL REAL GPA was no where close to the REALISTIC GPA I had hoped to get. so stop wasting ur time thinking abt future when u r not prepared to fix ur present condition.

Calculating my mark has always been a problem for me, even in highschool. I try not to do it, but at the back of my mind, all I'm thinking about is what I'm going to end up with. So yeah, I def will try not to do that.
Old 05-31-2011 at 12:10 PM   #14
Vuci
magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Yeah, but what I'm worried about is whether they also take summer courses. I don't think Queen's does. Do they only take the school year courses, excluding the summer courses then?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, really appreciate the replies guys! I still feel a bit worrisome... it's a bit late but will change my study habits and work smarter now and that'll hopefully give out a better GPA.