MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most reliable news site? dsalvatore General Discussion 30 08-23-2011 07:33 PM
Hair cuts that are affordable Sideout General Discussion 12 09-26-2009 04:50 PM

Affordable and reliable places to do tax?

Old 04-04-2013 at 02:48 PM   #1
Kinder

Liked: 13 Times

Affordable and reliable places to do tax?
Softron and HR Block is a bit expensive. Any other places that are more affordable?
Old 04-04-2013 at 03:08 PM   #2
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Not sure how much those cost, but UFile (software) is around $20. You do it yourself on your computer. It's very, very simple.

This is only good if you have a simple individual return (tuition, rent, T4).

shreebee likes this.
Old 04-04-2013 at 03:46 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

My Dad used turbotax and did the whole family's taxes for 20$, it walks you through and everything, and you can do multiple people; I think 8 'uses'. Certain persons (under a wage limit I think) don't use up any of these 'uses'.

shreebee likes this.
Old 04-04-2013 at 03:50 PM   #4
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
Not sure how much those cost, but UFile (software) is around $20. You do it yourself on your computer. It's very, very simple.

This is only good if you have a simple individual return (tuition, rent, T4).
I believe UFile is free for students. Just use this code : FAY1493 and youre good to go

source: http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-an...px? #students

giftedchick likes this.
Old 04-04-2013 at 04:13 PM   #5
escape

Liked: 38 Times

what happens if you miss the tax deadline?
Old 04-04-2013 at 04:31 PM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
what happens if you miss the tax deadline?
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp...rllwrks/pnlty/

You might get assumptions made about what you should pay, and if you owe money you can be fined, etc. If you don't owe money, you're potentially missing out on returns the government owes you. If you don't have job, I don't think you have anything huge to worry about, but don't quote me on that...
Old 04-04-2013 at 05:04 PM   #7
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I filed late last year (in July or therabouts) and got my return in full and all the back GST/Trillium checks I was owed for the months I missed for filing late. You won't be penalized unless you owe the government money.
Old 04-04-2013 at 06:53 PM   #8
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammyt View Post
I believe UFile is free for students. Just use this code : FAY1493 and youre good to go

source: http://www.drtax.ca/en/UFile/tips-an...px? #students
Turbotax is also free for students.
Old 04-04-2013 at 09:26 PM   #9
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

If you file late and owe taxes, you will by pay a late fee and interest along with your owed taxes. If you get a tax return then nothing really happens if you file late. I filed a year late one time because I wasn't aware that you should file taxes even if you had no income.

I used H&R block last year and they had this thing where if you get instant cash back for a return you pay them a portion of your return and I ended up paying them like $9 bucks or something to do my taxes, but if you have to pay taxes or you get a huge return then you'll probably have to pay the full amount. I think turbotax is a great solution if you have an idea of what you're doing. Generally student taxes are easy because there aren't many things to include beyond income, tuition and rent so doing it yourself isn't so bad. If you're really not sure of yourself then yes you may want to look into having someone else do it for you just in case.
Old 04-04-2013 at 09:37 PM   #10
Kinder

I'm scared of doing it myself. If I make a mistake and they audit me I would cry.
Old 04-05-2013 at 04:29 PM   #11
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

they are not going to audit you. They got larger fish to fry (like businesses and people with significant assets) They are not going to throw you in jail for making a mistake.
Old 04-05-2013 at 04:36 PM   #12
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Ufile is SUPER easy. I've used it for several years and have a fairly complicated return with filing a combined return for personal and business. It walks you through all the possible deductions and income and you just have to put in the numbers from your paperwork (T4s, T2202A, etc.).
Old 04-05-2013 at 05:53 PM   #13
Kinder

I took the plunge and tried out that UFile thing.

Looked at the summary, it doesn't show the GST credit thing you get every quarterly. Do you have to apply for that? Is that amount including the GST?
Old 04-05-2013 at 06:03 PM   #14
Kinder

That's weird. It only show up after it create the PDF file.

This is it right?

Quote:
GST/HST credit 405 00
Its strange though, that uFile gave me a higher return than I ever gotten with Softron.

Quote:
Refund 484 2,658 38
Old 04-06-2013 at 09:43 AM   #15
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinder View Post
I'm scared of doing it myself. If I make a mistake and they audit me I would cry.
I did the taxes for both my parents and myself using turbotax. it's super simple and it walks you through EVERYTHING. and anything you don't understand is explained. I dont think you have anything to worry about.
good luck

starfish likes this.